(Topic ID: 266506)

Bally late EMs - why no diode on slingshot coils in rectified circuit?

By Dono

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4757[4038] (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Title pretty much covers it... on my Mata Hari EM, the schematics show that on the rectified DC circuit run both pop bumper and slingshot coils, but schematic also shows pop bumper coils have an IN4007 diode; slingshots coils DO NOT... many EM Bally games from about 1976 have the same setup.

What's the technical reason no diodes are placed on the slingshot coils?

#2 4 years ago

Always wondered this too, never found a good answer

#3 4 years ago

Are the pop bumpers DC and the slingshots AC?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Are the pop bumpers DC and the slingshots AC?

Both DC. Even the same coil.

#5 4 years ago

The diodes on coils are there to prevent a voltage spike created by the collapse of the coil’s magnetic field when the circuit opens. On SS games the circuit is opened/ closed by a transistor, on EMs it is a leaf switch. The spike can destroy the transistor but not the leaf switch. Often, EMs have a capacitor in the circuit to lessen the arc on the leaf switch. So generally, diodes on SS coils, not in EMs.

Don C

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

The diodes on coils are there to prevent a voltage spike created by the collapse of the coil’s magnetic field when the circuit opens. On SS games the circuit is opened/ closed by a transistor, on EMs it is a leaf switch. The spike can destroy the transistor but not the leaf switch. Often, EMs have a capacitor in the circuit to lessen the arc on the leaf switch. So generally, diodes on SS coils, not in EMs.
Don C

Except in this case Bally put diodes on the coils, and no capacitor on the switch.

The diode is important to prevent voltage spikes from resetting the 5V logic components on SS more than it is to protect the transistors.

#7 4 years ago

Additional interesting info: Williams doesn't put diodes on any of their DC coils any time during their run, while Bally seems to have always put diodes on their DC pops, but never on their slings that I can find. Gottlieb put diodes on their pop bumpers, and also used DC flippers with diodes. I don't have any gottlieb schematics with DC slings to compare...

#8 4 years ago

Gottlieb system 1 had diodes on pop bumpers and slingshots.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Additional interesting info: Williams doesn't put diodes on any of their DC coils any time during their run, while Bally seems to have always put diodes on their DC pops, but never on their slings that I can find. Gottlieb put diodes on their pop bumpers, and also used DC flippers with diodes. I don't have any gottlieb schematics with DC slings to compare...

Exactly the info I was seeing when researching my question... hopefully someone can chime in with a technical/performance reason why diodes were not included on the slingshot coils in this circuit (shown below):

IMG_4757[4038] (resized).JPGIMG_4757[4038] (resized).JPG
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The diode is important to prevent voltage spikes from resetting the 5V logic components on SS more than it is to protect the transistors.

Try taking the diodes off the coils on your SS games and see how long the transistors lasts.

It wont be very long as the back EMF of a collapsing inductive coil can generate in the many thousands of volts (this is why a coil was used on old petrol engines to generate a spark at the spark plugs, with the points acting as the switch). This will be above the maximum voltage of the drive transistors used in pinballs.

I have seem open circuit diodes cause CPU resets, but this is not their primary fucntion.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Exactly the info I was seeing when researching my question... hopefully someone can chime in with a technical/performance reason why diodes were not included on the slingshot coils in this circuit (shown below):

I am an electronics engineer with 30 years experience and I can see no reason for fitting the diodes. Just finished repairing a Williams Grand Prix where the DC is used to drive both slings and both the pop bumpers with no diodes on any of the coils.

#12 4 years ago

Was this the era of both solid state and em's being produced? It could have been as simple as just stocking one type of coil, with the diode.... although since they drew it on the schematic as well, they must have had some other reason. Maybe to protect the diodes in the bridge rectifier for longevity?

How long does it take for the back EMF to hose the diode on the coil? Must be a LONG time since most survive seemingly forever.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Maybe to protect the diodes in the bridge rectifier for longevity?

I thought that as well, but it cannot be as it is only on one coil and when the coil without the diode is energized the coil with the diode is out of circuit as its switch is open. Very strange.

The 1N400X range of diodes are very sturdy and have been an industry standard for years. They do fail but considering how many millions of them are used on such a range of equipment for so many years their MTBF must be enormous.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Was this the era of both solid state and em's being produced? It could have been as simple as just stocking one type of coil, with the diode.... although since they drew it on the schematic as well, they must have had some other reason. Maybe to protect the diodes in the bridge rectifier for longevity?

No SS being produced yet for some of these, iirc

I've seen people say the diodes are to protect the rectifier, but that doesn't explain why they aren't on the slings

Quoted from Bakerman:

Try taking the diodes off the coils on your SS games and see how long the transistors lasts.

I've worked on a number of games with missing diodes and the CPU always reboots quickly. Never had the transistor die before I noticed the issue due to the CPU resets.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've worked on a number of games with missing diodes and the CPU always reboots quickly.

I have had this when diodes have been open circuit on the flippers, but as these are not transistor controlled on the SS era machines.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Never had the transistor die before I noticed the issue due to the CPU resets.

Example, maximum collector-emitter voltage for TIP102 is 100V; collapsing coil EMF can generate many hundreds of volts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-causes-coilsolenoid-driver-transistors-to-fail

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've worked on a number of games with missing diodes and the CPU always reboots quickly. Never had the transistor die before I noticed the issue due to the CPU resets.

I've seen driver transistors fail and short the very first time they try to activate a coil with a missing/open circuit diode. The coil diodes are there to primarily protect the driver transistors on solid state games from back EMF voltages.

#18 4 years ago

There is a difference between a coil energized directly by a switch, and a coil energized by a driver transistor.

A diode is necessary to protect the driving transistor from voltage spike caused when coil drive stops. But a switch just may show some arcing, without any problems.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

There is a difference between a coil energized directly by a switch, and a coil energized by a driver transistor.
A diode is necessary to protect the driving transistor from voltage spike caused when coil drive stops. But a switch just may show some arcing, without any problems.

Which again raises the question, why are they on ems

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rehoboth, MA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-late-ems-why-no-diode-on-slingshot-coils-in-rectified-circuit?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.