Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by shimoda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm not planning on using the game commercially but noticed when I started a game, the match unit had a coil sticking on. When I looked at the unit I noticed it was missing a coil, a couple switches and perhaps some other wiring/gearing. Would anyone happen to have a match unit from this era? Wiring it will be a trial I'm sure, but I'd like to have this game at 100%, and identify, incidentally, where the strong pee smell is coming from, though I think it's the back box.

I'll post pics at some point. My wife thought I was crazy with this game, but it's so unique. Strange thing is it looks like someone at some point formica'd the entire main cabinet. Anyone ever see this before? They did a good job but then put some gaudy decal on the game (I've scraped off) so now I feel like the best I can do short of finding a cabinet from a similar era game (with the convertible glass top) is just sand the formica and paint on it like it was wood.

At any rate, would like info, or even pics of the match unit so I can figure out what is missing. I have a Big Ben from 75 that might have a similar unit, but it was one player and 8 years removed from this game so I guess I'll see what it might offer me in terms of parts.

#2 8 years ago

Bally Match Units only have one coil. The mounting plate is also used for stepper units with a step-down (2nd) coil. Could this be why you believe a coil is missing?

#3 8 years ago

It certainly could. Don't know why it's stuck on though.

#4 8 years ago

A one or ten point target may be stuck on the playfield. With game started and coli "stuck"; turn machine off while watching the score reels. If one of them increments when you shut the game off, you have a stuck playfield switch. If no score reel advances, There is a contact point/switch out of adjustment on your 1 or 10 point relay.

#5 8 years ago

Anyone happen to be able to take a pic (or a few really) of the relay labels in the cabinet, almost all of mine are so dirty from whatever (dust, age, etc.) that I can't tell what is what to know what to look at or test.

EDIT: just did the test you mentioned, sure enough the 10 point reel advanced.

#6 8 years ago

Curious why the match coil would be affected by that though.

Seems like activating the center thumper bumper a couple times made the match unit release. After scoring a few other things though it's back to where it was and locks on till I activate the thumper. Couple other problems like when the balls are both locked and the third is kicked to the shooter lane, the release mech coil just keeps firing until the balls are released by hitting the mushroom bumper. That and when the game is over the balls remain in the lock mechs and aren't kicked out, even with a new game. I imagine I've got a lot of work to do to nail down these issues.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Curious why the match coil would be affected by that though.

Because the match unit increments whenever a one (or whatever the lowest point target value is) point target is hit. There is a switch on the 1 (or 10) point relay that controls the Match Unit solenoid.

#8 8 years ago

Okay, that makes sense, thanks for the info.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-late-60s-match-unit-needs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.