Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by REMPins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Lamp driver on my Bally Playboy stopped working, it was working perfectly fine except for at the bottom of the playfield where it's numbered 1-10... #4 wasn't lighting which turned out to be a cracked header pin, I re-flowed the pin and others, checked to make sure none of them got cross soldered, put it back in turned the game on and the first time had no illumination at all, turned it off and back on and GI came back on but not lamp driver lighting. Removed the fuse and it's good, under PF fuse good. Any suggestion what happened.

#2 9 years ago

Checked all the voltages on the rectifier board?

#3 9 years ago

I may have a bad Transformer...... Maybe, bare with me as I explain.
I wiggled the rectifier board and the lights flashed on, put my MM on TP1 and Gnd and got nothing, wiggled the board and the voltage went up to 5v so I new I had a loose connection on the board, with a pen I wiggled the fuse and the lights came on, thinking it was the fuse replaced it, with the new fuse in nothing so I removed the board and replaced the fuse holders, put everything back in and nothing.... no voltage at TP1 yet I have voltage at fuse, traced NO VOLTAGE back to the transformer and I have no voltage at lug 14 (which is direct voltage to the rectifier E10), all other lugs test good, so do I have a bad transformer or is there something else to check.

#4 9 years ago

It sounds like the problem is either a bad connector or bad header on rectifier board. Make sure you are testing transformer outputs with meter set to AC.

#5 9 years ago

Connectors and pins where replaced a couple months ago, and transformer tested AC

#6 9 years ago

Sure you don't have a short circuit on the rectifier board (bridge rectifier) dragging down the voltage?

#7 9 years ago

I was thinking even though the rectifiers are new that BR1 went bad some how but wouldn't I still have voltage at the transformer, it goes to that rectifier.

#8 9 years ago

Are the fuse holders on the xformer board dark, and not shiny? After all these years a black film forms
on them, causing all kinds of problems. Cleaning onle helps temporarily, they do it again shortly. Just replace them.

The same thing can be said for the pins in the connectors, and the male header pins on the boards. Also the IC pins and sockets.
Jim

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from REMPins:

traced NO VOLTAGE back to the transformer and I have no voltage at lug 14

To make sure you're taking your readings right --

Voltage is measured between 2 points, and there is no ground in AC, so I think you're trying to determine whether you have voltage between lugs 14 and 13. Right? (I'm not sure, but it doesn't make sense to say you have no voltage at a single lug).

To make this measurement, you would have to have the meter set to AC, and one lead on lug 14, and the other lead on lug 13.

So, there is NO GROUND in AC measurements, so both leads need to be put somewhere, you can't just leave one on the non-extant 'ground'--this will give incorrect readings for AC.

#10 9 years ago

Problem fixed, it was a bad solder joint at the fuse holder component side at BR1.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-lamp-driver-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.