• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello Pin Folks,

I'm hoping this might ring a bell with someone less green than myself who might have some debugging tips. I have a Bally Silverball Mania I'm restoring and there's one pesky light (left spinner) that will not light up in attract mode. I've traced things back to the lamp board, all the way back to the decoder IC. If I connect the pin in question on the harness to a different (known good) transistor leg the light comes on -- so I think that clears any continuity problems under the play field. Next I bridged one of the known good output pins on the IC to the one in question -- that also lit up the light. Having that knowledge, I replaced the IC figuring it had a bad output. I put the new IC in and same problem persists.

My question(s) to the more veteran fixers out there: Having bridged a known-good output pin to the bad one and seeing the lamp come on -- does that clear everything downstream from the bad output pin? Second, I thought maybe one of the decoder IC inputs could be bad, but it would seem that if one input was flaky it would affect at least half the outputs -- it being a 4 to 16 decoder and all. Any other suggestions in terms of obvious things to check or what direction I should head towards in my debugging efforts.

Thank in advance to this great community.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from malkneil:

I have a Bally Silverball Mania I'm restoring and there's one pesky light (left spinner) that will not light up in attract mode.

If that left spinner lamp is not lighting up in attract mode, but works in game then don't spend another second on it. That lamp isn't programmed to come on in attract mode lamp show

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If that left spinner lamp is not lighting up in attract mode, but works in game then don't spend another second on it. That lamp isn't programmed to come on in attract mode lamp show

God damn -- you were right. After replacing the transistor and the IC it turns out the lamp works. I just assumed all the board controlled lights would illuminate at some point in attract mode. Given that the spinner lights toggle with the 10 point rubber switches that must be the reason it doesn't in attract mode. I feel like a bit of a fool but that's the nature of fixing these things -- especially when you're a noob.

Thanks for steering me straight.

#4 4 years ago

No worries, the location of that lamp in the memory buffer is not in sequential order with the other light show lamps so it would have added unnecessary complexity to the lamp show programming to specifically light that left spinner lamp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-lamp-drive-board-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.