3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210102_074651 (resized).jpg
    BBC9BF1C-242B-42D0-B254-736EBF758DED (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

I have a 1974 delta queen I’m restoring. All good but the knocker is very quiet. It seems to be one where the power pulls the core back and then the spring returning it causes the knock. Much quieter than others where the power actually throws the fire to make the knock. Any way of making it louder? Is this a common prob with these? Thanks.

BBC9BF1C-242B-42D0-B254-736EBF758DED (resized).jpegBBC9BF1C-242B-42D0-B254-736EBF758DED (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

Mine are loud on my Bally machines. However, they will never be as loud as solid state machines. Check the contacts on the credit wheel for the knocker to make sure the contacts are clean and gapped properly. That way, your coil is getting as much power as possible.

#3 3 years ago

I just can’t see this one being loud as having pulled the bolt down it’s just the spring return which pops to back against the stop to make the noise. It’s just seems be be working the wrong way compared to others I’ve seen. Many other Bally ones throw the bolt against the stop
    For the noise. Is this one right?

#4 3 years ago

Would raising the screw give it a bit more travel to make the knock?

#5 3 years ago

I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

#6 3 years ago

Maybe someone else can verify this, but that knocker does not look like any of the Bally knockers of that time period. I believe the screw & nut is definitely a modification. Should just be a rubber grommet, or the whole assembly is incorrect all together. Looks like Williams knocker missing the grommet. The screw is definitely part of the problem, plus over time it is going to damage the plunger.

#7 3 years ago

Yes that’s what I thought too. It just doesn’t seem quite right. Anyone with a delta queen with a pic of what’s fitted to theirs?

#8 3 years ago

You have the correct knocker assembly.

Yellow coil wrappers are solid state coils. But I dont see a diode across the contacts, so it is properly used as an AC coil.

Again, check the contacts that supply the power to the coil. To get the snap action of the coil to create the knock, the contacts have to be clean, aligned and gapped properly.

Post a video if you need.

20210102_074651 (resized).jpg20210102_074651 (resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

Ok thanks. Pulling the screw out a bit has improved it a bit. Thanks.

#10 3 years ago

Yes, loosen the locknut and unscrew the screw a bit to give the plunger more "travel". Be sure to retighten the lock nut when you are finished adjusting the screw.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-knocker-too-quiet?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.