2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by amkoepfer
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 41 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170811_211716 (resized).jpg
    20170811_211711 (resized).jpg
    20170811_211705 (resized).jpg
    20170803_232125 (resized).jpg
    20170803_232118 (resized).jpg
    20170725_213451 (resized).jpg
    20170725_213444 (resized).jpg
    20170725_213438 (resized).jpg
    20170722_122818 (resized).jpg
    M0ZFNUZFRjZCRDU5RDU1RjNCQkE6MDEzZGM4OWEwMDBjNzVjZjg0MGRkZjAzYzNiNTg3ZjE6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg
    bly-kisslamp (resized).jpg
    20170625_112841 (resized).jpg
    20170625_112836 (resized).jpg
    20170514_110600 (resized).jpg
    20170514_114320 (resized).jpg
    Bally early ps pinout (resized).png

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago

stopping work on kiss for a bit, i need to get a meteor ready to go, and its a bit more of a job than i thought it would be. the g.i. keeps going out, ive replaced the driver board with one from kiss, that fixed it, then it went out, so i put a new alltek driver board in. that worked, then stopped, then worked. i think the rectifier board may be causing it. i did a flipper rebuild, clean and wax, and changed the drop targets. i have a newfound hatred for early stern drop targets. it took forever to change them. now a few lamp sockets are bad, and a few other small issues, but its looking good. ive never really played meteor, are the meteor drop targets supposed to reset after they are all dropped? this only resets after the ball drains.

#52 2 years ago

Nevermind. I just watched a tnt video on it. Yes it is supposed to reset. I guess ill add this to my list

#53 2 years ago

I see! Thank you!

#54 2 years ago

Wow!!! I joined this site for this very machine. I cannot wait to see how this comes out!!!!

#55 2 years ago

You and me both! Its my first full restoration. Its taking forever due to a full time job along with other pinball jobs, but its looking nice!

#56 2 years ago

Took a break to finish meteor, that leaves tomorrow, then ill get back on kiss finally

#57 2 years ago

Meteor is gone. I should have taken pics!!! Now im switching to the other kiss to get that ready for sale, then back to the restoration. He changed his mind and has decided to go with the updated playfield board for the kiss lights, so that will make it that much nicer!

2 weeks later
    #58 2 years ago

Ive taken a small break from the restoration die to the holidays, im hoping to get a decent amount done next week. The sling assemblies spent 4 days in evaporust, tomorrow it will go in the ultrasonic cleaner for a couple days. Its coming together, but man is this a long process

#59 2 years ago

Nice work so far.. looking great!

Kiss is a favourite of mine, and is the game that started my obsession so it was my holy grail game for many years.
    I finally found a project one for a decent price (stumbled across it i should say..lol) after a 20 year search, restored it and it's a definite keeper!!

#60 2 years ago

After this is done, im really going to want to buy it off the owner, but i dont think ill be able to afford it!

2 weeks later
    #61 2 years ago

Does anyone have pics of the j1 j2 and j3 connectors with the wire colors? None of my power boards or connectors are hooked up so repining the second machine is becoming an issue! The j1 connector from marco is 8 pin, but the original is 9 pin

#62 2 years ago

Here is something that should help.

Bally early ps pinout (resized).png

#63 2 years ago

Thanks ken, just what i needed!

1 week later
    #64 2 years ago

I just re-pinned J3 a couple hours ago in my KISS...I'm not in front of the machine (it's not at my home), but I can say that past the key (#7) position there is definitely a N/U - I just can't remember which position....but definitely only 18 wires in use on J3 for my KISS....off hand, I would assume it was one of the grounds between 14-20....

#65 2 years ago

Thanks sonic. That image ken posted looks accurate to me, wich also shows 7 as nu. My connectors should show up today so hopefully ill have it up and running in a couple days. Went back to the playfield swap for awhile last night, but needed to do ground wire and i couldnt find my stapler, so i stopped! Im hoping to really dive back in shortly and get it done!

#66 2 years ago

Right...#7 is N/U (Key), but you'll find that there is one more - so you don't tear it apart looking for a missing wire - you'll only terminate 18 of the 20 positions! Let us know how it goes!

1 week later
    #67 2 years ago

Kiss clean up/shop out is about done, trying to figure out aux lamp driver board, only part of the kiss lights work, only about 3 flash. I think its the 3 chips on the board, but not sure yet. Ill take pics once its all done, but it turned out pretty nice!

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I think its the 3 chips on the board, but not sure yet.

If you have not re-pinned the connectors it is much more likely to be that.

#69 2 years ago

No i have not on the aux lamp driver. Ill give that a try, thanks!

#70 2 years ago

I repinned the connectors, and it still isnt working. Im thinking it has to be 1 of the 3 chips that controls the flash

#71 2 years ago

You're talking about the KISS in the back glass that flashes?

By the schematic, the K and I flash through the U-2 chip and the two S flash through the U-3 chip on the aux lamp board. And check for loose grounds on the back of the lights as well. True confession: I spent hours troubleshooting and "fixing" a lamp driver board before I finally determined that all the bulbs were burned out. Good luck!

#72 2 years ago

Ues, i replaced the lamp sockets and made sure those were good. The u2 and u3 i believe control the letters, and u1 controls the flashing, cycling through the letters. (I think)

3 months later
    #73 1 year ago

Finally back into the restoration. Most of the ground braid is ran, pop bumpers and slingshots are done. Getting close to the wiring harness. Decided to do the upgraded light board so i have to install that

20170514_114320 (resized).jpg

20170514_110600 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #74 1 year ago

Yellow target bank is installed gate diverter, and updated lamp board

20170625_112836 (resized).jpg

20170625_112841 (resized).jpg

#75 1 year ago

Are you redoing the scoreboard by chance?

#76 1 year ago

All light sockets, ground braid, and possibly displays will be brand new

#77 1 year ago

I need a huge favor, then, if I might. I have a customer in Australia who is doing a "Miss World" conversion of a KISS machine and needs to create the score board from scratch. When you have it stripped, if you could just trace the outline and the locations of the light sockets it would be a great help. I'll gladly pay the shipping to my house so I can pass it along to him.

Shawn

#78 1 year ago

Ill see what i can do, it will probably be awhile though, since i have to get the playfield done first and order the new sockets.

#79 1 year ago

I appreciate that, and there is no rush. Thank you.

Shawn

1 week later
    #80 1 year ago

Does anyone have a part number for the sling leaf switches? I need to order some new ones, but i want to see if pbr has them before going through marco

#81 1 year ago

Im also looking for a part number on the pop bumper scoop switches. Thanks. Getting down to getting the last few switches and sockets.

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Im also looking for a part number on the pop bumper scoop switches. Thanks. Getting down to getting the last few switches and sockets.

You can just send an email to PBR and advise them .....

I need the following parts for a Bally KISS machine:
    4 - pop bumper scoop switches
    2 - sling leaf switches

and Jimmy will do the rest! I never provide part numbers to them and have never had an issue!

However, PBR is closed this week so you need to wait till the 10th to order!

#83 1 year ago

Thanks, i always try to put part numbers on there, but thatll be a lot easier! I didnt realize they were closed until monday, so i guess ill take a few days off of it or work on other parts. I have the lights for the pop bumpers in, but i still need to staple them down and put the ground braid in that area, but my stapler is too big to fit in between the bumpers so i have to take them apart again to get that done. Thanks for the info!

#84 1 year ago

Pbr and marco are out of stock on the pop bumper spoon switch stacks. Does anyone have any new ones they would sell? Part number (i think anyways) is a stern number sw476. Im looking for 4 of them. Id like new, or i can build my own or clean my current ones. Can anyone with a kiss game tell me if the spoon switch for the pops has a capacitor on it? I have 2 games right now, one has a cap, the other doesnt

#85 1 year ago

I will be home in a couple hours and can check mine. Can't remember off hand as I rebuilt my pops as well when I restored mine.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I need a huge favor, then, if I might. I have a customer in Australia who is doing a "Miss World" conversion of a KISS machine and needs to create the score board from scratch. When you have it stripped, if you could just trace the outline and the locations of the light sockets it would be a great help. I'll gladly pay the shipping to my house so I can pass it along to him.
    Shawn

He could scan it for you, and then you would have a great reference.

You can also buy them already made, for $22.

http://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/product-0002

bly-kisslamp (resized).jpg

M0ZFNUZFRjZCRDU5RDU1RjNCQkE6MDEzZGM4OWEwMDBjNzVjZjg0MGRkZjAzYzNiNTg3ZjE6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

He could scan it for you, and then you would have a great reference.
    You can also buy them already made, for $22.
    http://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/product-0002

I believe he needs the backbox lights, not the kiss matrix on the playfield

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

I will be home in a couple hours and can check mine. Can't remember off hand as I rebuilt my pops as well when I restored mine.

Thank you. Im pretty sure they do have them if im reading the schematic correctly

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I believe he needs the backbox lights, not the kiss matrix on the playfield

Correct. The back box insert. I bought one of those p/f inserts for my own KISS play field from PBR. Great product.

Shawn

#90 1 year ago

Shawn, im getting close to the backbox. I ordered the sockets today, im hoping to finish putting the wiring harness on the playfield this week, then ill be moving on to that, so hopefully not too much longer

#91 1 year ago

No problem, I really appreciate it. No rush at all.

1 week later
    #92 1 year ago

Rails are back on the playfield, just have to put in the spinners and two more switches. Started labeling and cutting the harness today. Its getting close! Ill take some more pics tomorrow

20170722_122818 (resized).jpg

#93 1 year ago

Ok, i decided to go back through and change all the rollover switches. It has almost all new parts, why not do that too. I may be overthinking this, but changing the diodes on the switches, the original is a zener diode, i can change that to a 1n4004 right? And if so, which way does it go? (The black band on tje zener diode, is that power or ground?) I know the band on the 4004 is the power side, but looking at other diodes on it it looks like the band on a zener may be ground. As i said, im probably overthinking this

#94 1 year ago

Many Bally's from this era shipped with 1N4148 or 1N914 diodes installed on the leaf switches. While these may look similar to some Zener diodes, they're definitely not Zeners. 1N4004 will work just fine for this purpose. If that's what came installed on your switches just leave them.

Pinwiki has a good breakdown of diode orientation with respect to the strobe and return lines:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Proper_Location_of_Wiring.2C_Diodes.2C_.26_Capacitors

And make sure you install a .047uf ceramic cap on all rollover switches and standup targets, otherwise the MPU will miss a lot of fast switch closures!

#95 1 year ago

Thank you. The schematic says it should be a 4004, but it looks like a zener to me. Ill check pinwiki for orientation on it. Good idea on the cap too!

#96 1 year ago

That was the info i needed. Thanks again

#97 1 year ago

The Aux lamp driver board in Kiss can cause some pretty-wacky problems if it isn't working correctly. Stuff I wouldn't have thought would have anything to with it.

Mine would start-up nice and play great. The K-I-S-S would flash properly and everything would function 100%. Then after about ten minutes the machine would go berzerk. GI would go out, displays would go flaky. Really bizarre stuff. It had me stumped for quite a while until I removed the Aux lamp driver and realized it was the problem. I had it rebuilt for $15 and haven't had any issues since. It's a great machine. One of my "keepers".

#98 1 year ago

I bought 2 new aux boards, i fixed up one kiss awhile ago and was driving me crazy for the same reason. This game will have all new boards, even new power supply board. The updated aux lamp driver works great by the way!

#99 1 year ago

Harness is ready to move. Im waiting on the rollover switches, diodes and caps to show up first, and im going to replace all the old diodes still with new. I have a lot of soldering in my future!

20170725_213438 (resized).jpg

20170725_213444 (resized).jpg

20170725_213451 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #100 1 year ago
    Quoted from erichill:

Many Bally's from this era shipped with 1N4148 or 1N914 diodes installed on the leaf switches. While these may look similar to some Zener diodes, they're definitely not Zeners. 1N4004 will work just fine for this purpose. If that's what came installed on your switches just leave them.
    Pinwiki has a good breakdown of diode orientation with respect to the strobe and return lines:
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Proper_Location_of_Wiring.2C_Diodes.2C_.26_Capacitors
    And make sure you install a .047uf ceramic cap on all rollover switches and standup targets, otherwise the MPU will miss a lot of fast switch closures!

The .047 uf caps youre talking about... the schematic calls for .05, what is the voltage? Ive seen a few different ones and want to make sure i get the right parts

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 149.00
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Tim's Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 295.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside