• Latest reply 8 years ago by debaser
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rectifier_Ver3L.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Working on a Bally KISS that I got running today but the only thing not working is the playfield GI. So I pulled the rectifier board and the J1 connector was all burnt up. Replaced that with new male header pins along with trifurcon pins on the connector. Plugged it in and the playfield GI was working. Turned off the pin and turned it back on and the playfield GI was not working again. Reseated the connector and it was working again. So I pulled the connector to check the AC voltage right at the male pins to see if the problem was in the connector or on the rectifier board and I was getting 6.8v AC on pins 1/5 and 2/8. As I was measuring the voltages at pins 2/8 with my DMM, my probe shorted across (I believe) pins 7 and 8 and I saw a spark. After that I'm not getting any AC voltages at those pins anymore. GI fuse is good (GI in the backbox still working) and everything else in the machine is working fine.

The board at J1 was pretty burnt up but I did continuity tests on all the pins when I installed the new male header pins and everything was good. Perhaps the pushing/flexing of the board when inserting/removing the connector broke a connection. The machine is at a remote location so I don't have instant access to it.

Looking for any ideas on what might be going on. Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

The GI circuit is pretty robust (just transformer windings) so probably no damage. Check your schematic and probe your AC inputs, then follow the voltage through the fuse to the outputs. Should be easy to nail down where it drops out at.

#3 8 years ago

try attaching a ground as per clays mods , from front to back , i just did this when i had a gi issue and it worked , sometimes the vias go bad.

#4 8 years ago

Oh, duh, "playfield GI". If that's all that's out, it almost has to be the connector, or like you suspected a bad solder junction under the header.

#5 8 years ago

Yeah I figure it's the connector as well, especially since it was being intermittent before I shorted the pins with the DMM lead. It was quite toasty so I probably need to run a jumper or two.

#6 8 years ago

Steve Kulpa has a great repair tutorial on the Bally Rectifier Board:
http://stevekulpa.net/pinrepair/bally_rps18.htm

OR

If you cant fix it and your original board is "pretty burned up", Great Plains has a nice replacement board
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=135-105
$60.00

Rectifier_Ver3L.jpgRectifier_Ver3L.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Ended up being a bad parts side trace for the GI that goes from J2 to J1. I replaced all three headers and ran a jumper wire to fix the trace and it was good to go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-kiss-playfield-gi-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.