IMG_1158.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
11223713_10152803987732396_7172765831396410582_n.jpg
Dsc04643.jpg
IMG_2542.jpg
#1 8 years ago

We have an opportunity to pick up a working Bally KISS for $1350.
Have not seen in person yet but told it has perfect Backglass, lots of cabinet fade, some wear in center playfield.
Game boots up serves up balls and plays.
On way to look at it in a few hours.

#2 8 years ago

Seems the restored and collector quality games are going for upwards of $2K. Perfect original backglass is pricey, and it doesn't sound like it really needs a whole lot. If your a KISS fan, I'd certainly say it's worth looking into.

#3 8 years ago

Need to see pics of the playfield. I wonder if it's blown out like so many of them out there. You'll likely see cabinet fade, but this is a really easy one to re-stencil if you ever wanted to. Mine has 9/10 back glass, 8/10 playfield, and faded cabinet. I paid about $3000 and feel this was a good deal.

Quoted from wayout440:

Seems the restored and collector quality games are going for upwards of $2K

Let me know where you can find a restored one for $2000 and I'll buy it!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

We have an opportunity to pick up a working Bally KISS for $1350.
Have not seen in person yet but told it has perfect Backglass, lots of cabinet fade, some wear in center playfield.
Game boots up serves up balls and plays.
On way to look at it in a few hours.

Yes, buy it

#5 8 years ago

That's probably the cheapest price i have seen on a Kiss in a while, but with that said, would I send that kind of money on a game that needs to be restored? No...

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.
I will report back with photos if I pick it up.
Probably will. I have restored lots of machines. I don't do cabinet work but am good with computer boards and playfield work.

#7 8 years ago

Good deal, definitely worth it. I picked one up similar for $1k and shopped and cleaned it up, sold for $2300. Game is much more fun than I thought it would be, really enjoyed it. Just didn't have the room.

#8 8 years ago

As both a KISS fan and pinball collector this is worth much more to a KISS fan. That's a great price as a KISS collectible.

#9 8 years ago

I sold a super nice one for $3500 recently. Not a retail sale either.

A kinda beat up one that works is probably worth $1350 unless playfield is extremely blown out.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I said UPWARDs (that means more than) of $2000 for either restored or collector qual.

A beauty for $2700 sold on EBay:
ww.ebay.com/itm/KISS-PINBALL-MACHINE-/111747570608?hash=item1a04ac9bb0%3Ag%3AWFoAAOSw3ydV0%7Eg1&nma=true&si=l2n2K4dwmZmPUpFS6o0skb5Gln4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

#11 8 years ago

Perhaps im wrong?? Is this machine a big ticket for a pinball collector?? They made a whole lot of them didn't they?? I bought my first in 93 as a KISS item when I was a huge collector. Beautiful beautiful machine but to be honest a little dull. Ive seen many and all had wear in the middle PF lights. In the mid 90s there were two local vending companies that had at least 2 dead ones each I could always scavenge for parts.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Perhaps im wrong?? Is this machine a big ticket for a pinball collector?? They made a whole lot of them didn't they?? I bought my first in 93 as a KISS item when I was a huge collector. Beautiful beautiful machine but to be honest a little dull. Ive seen many and all had wear in the middle PF lights. In the mid 90s there were two local vending companies that had at least 2 dead ones each I could always scavenge for parts.

That's 6 question marks in three sentences!!! You really seem surprised!!!

KISS has always been one of the most collectable 70s bally digitals. This is because a) the KISS army loves it, and b) pinball people love it. It's really a fantastic looking machine and it's a super fun game to play. It's not dull at all by the standards of the era and it's got a fantastic rule set with the carry over bonus.

#13 8 years ago

Is it that much better than playboy? Just seems like the average pinball person would rather have a JD DM almost any Data East game etc over this. Ive had I think 10 over the years but they were all as KISS collectibles. Guess there is a higher demand for it. I sure do know a lot still aren't around.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Is it that much better than playboy? Just seems like the average pinball person would rather have a JD DM almost any Data East game etc over this. Ive had I think 10 over the years but they were all as KISS collectibles. Guess there is a higher demand for it. I sure do know a lot still aren't around.

You are comparing apples to oranges. If someone wants a JD or DM or DE game, that's what they'll buy.

If they prefer a MUCH better looking game, with a theme that appeals to many hardcore pinheads and rock fans, with the classic pinball experience, they'll buy KISS. I would personally rather play KISS than JD or Demo Man, I don't enjoy those games much at all. I love playing KISS, especially in competition. Great rules and fast, fun game. Not the drab, overcooked yet half-baked experience of JD/DM.

There are woodrails that sell for $10,000. Doesn't mean they "compare" to JD or DM.

In my opinion, yes KISS is much better than Playboy with a more appealing theme, but that's in the eye of the beholder. If you don't like that kind of game, you don't like it, so don't know what to tell you. But the market says - and has for the 15 years I've been doing this - that KISS is worth a premium for that era of game.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Need to see pics of the playfield. I wonder if it's blown out like so many of them out there. You'll likely see cabinet fade, but this is a really easy one to re-stencil if you ever wanted to. Mine has 9/10 back glass, 8/10 playfield, and faded cabinet. I paid about $3000 and feel this was a good deal.

I'll take one for 2,000.00 also Ed

#16 8 years ago

The two most-iconic rock themed pins from the 70s were both produced by Bally. They are highly-collectable as classic pinball machines and also as rock memorabilia. Their value will only continue to increase over time.

>Bally Kiss (1979) 17,000 units produced
>Bally Rolling Stones (1980) 5,700 units produced

There were a few other licensed rock themed pins from the 70s such as:
>Stern Nugent (1978)
>Bally Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (1976)
>Bally Wizard (1975)

You couldn't touch my Kiss or Rolling Stones for less than $4,000 (and even then I probably wouldn't sell them). Their worth goes beyond pinball as they were both made during the peak of each band's popularity.

They are both decent players too for their time.

IMG_2542.JPGIMG_2542.JPG

#17 8 years ago

Well we got the machine and a spare populated playfield as well that is in better shape then the one in the game currently.
I will post pics later. It has been a long, long day and we just unloaded the machine and crashed for the rest of the day.
The backglass is 100% perfect though.

#18 8 years ago

Congrats........

#19 8 years ago

What you gonna do with the pf?

#20 8 years ago

I agree with Gatecrasher, wouldn't sell mine for less than 5K. I have about $2500 in parts and material when I restored it. It would be easier to list what is not new on this machine.
The price may be good if the backglass truly is in very good shape and the playfield is not too bad. Its hard to say if the glass and playfield will ever be made again. I installed an overlay on my playfield and clear coated it. It turned out 100 times better than I ever thought it could.

Dsc04643.jpgDsc04643.jpg

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

What you gonna do with the pf?

Combine the two to make the best one possible. The one in the game has more wear in the center around the inserts and has some really bad plastics that someone colored in with sharpies.
The replacement playfield is missing the flipper mechs, but has decent plastics and less wear around the center inserts.

#22 8 years ago

I'll never sell either of my KISS machines!

11223713_10152803987732396_7172765831396410582_n.jpg11223713_10152803987732396_7172765831396410582_n.jpg

#23 8 years ago

OK guys and gals, here are the photos I promised.
The game surprisingly booted up and played perfectly.
However it needs a lot of TLC.
The only part of the game not working is the GI on the backglass. the controlled lamps are working on it but no GI.
If anyone know what all controls those bulbs, I am all ears. fuses all tested good in circuit. I have not pulled them out yet to test.
Photos show the current bad playfield that is worn on the center and missing an insert as well as the replacement playfield we have. It is not perfect either but is in much better shape. You will also notice the homemade plastics on the left and right sides of the playfield as well.

IMG_1161.jpgIMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1162.jpgIMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpgIMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1158.jpgIMG_1158.jpg

#24 8 years ago

I wonder what the story is on the homemade plastics to replace the buxom beauties? Maybe it was in a "family" establishment back in the 70's. Do it right and install a brand new overlay. Paint the cab bright white and re-stencil. You'll have a big-dollar game when finished!

#25 8 years ago

Those plastics are hideous, replace ASAP/.

The connector is at the bridge rectifier board on the right inside of the cabinet head. I'm sure it'll be easy to spot probably nice and toasty. You'll have to replace it and pull the rec board and redo the male pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-kiss-is-this-a-good-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.