IMG_8998 (resized).jpg
BA6DE0D6-4DD5-41E8-83D2-0B3C9411B0A0 (resized).jpeg
C81415C4-92AF-44CF-8176-0150600E35A4 (resized).jpeg
E359FB7E-9C7E-45D2-BDD2-067E81D36FF0 (resized).jpeg
F24F6912-9D82-4EB4-B510-FCA8DAF7C24C (resized).jpeg
63DCB6CC-ED95-488A-AFD8-A16EB1635E4B (resized).jpeg
FADCC5BB-5641-4C58-AE59-A51F8037B0FD (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I powered all my machines on and looked back to see my old Bally KISS looking like this. GI (and PinStadiums) lit up, lights behind back glass barely lit, and nothing on the scoreboard. No sound at boot, no ball in the shooter lane. Coin credits switches dead. Picture attached.

I don’t really have any experience with these older machines, but just assuming I have a dead board somewhere. Appreciate any suggestions on where I might start.

Sort of been looking for a reason to move it out, zero room for GnR which who knows when is coming, but now I need to fix first.

Thanks much!

FADCC5BB-5641-4C58-AE59-A51F8037B0FD (resized).jpegFADCC5BB-5641-4C58-AE59-A51F8037B0FD (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

I am too new to offer help other than to say if you don’t get a reply you may try posting your question in the KISS Bally thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-bally-1979-fan-club-cmon-love-me

#3 3 years ago

If you have GI the MPU is not booting up. Open the backbox and look at the LED on the MPU. Count the flashes and post back. A video of the mpu trying to boot would be perfect.

#4 3 years ago

Are you thinking of selling Kiss as a project?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

If you have GI the MPU is not booting up. Open the backbox and look at the LED on the MPU. Count the flashes and post back. A video of the mpu trying to boot would be perfect.

Well this is a bit embarrassing. How do I open the backglass on this old machine? Manual says it swings open, my lock was pretty mangled with no hope I had the key, started to drill it out, more mangled but can still activate with a flathead. But I’m not sure where it actually opens. Take a look at the picture, it looks like where I think it should open has been painted over, but could be mistaken.

63DCB6CC-ED95-488A-AFD8-A16EB1635E4B (resized).jpeg63DCB6CC-ED95-488A-AFD8-A16EB1635E4B (resized).jpegF24F6912-9D82-4EB4-B510-FCA8DAF7C24C (resized).jpegF24F6912-9D82-4EB4-B510-FCA8DAF7C24C (resized).jpeg
#6 3 years ago

That is a newer style cabinet where the lock cylinder turns clockwise only about 15°. Then you lift the backglass up and out from the bottom. There will be a panel with lights and displays that swings out to access the electronics.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

That is a newer style cabinet where the lock cylinder turns clockwise only about 15°. Then you lift the backglass up and out from the bottom. There will be a panel with lights and displays that swings out to access the electronics.

perfect, I'm familiar with that! will give it a shot. That was it, but wow that backglass is heavy (compared to new games). Nothing to grip either, had to pry from the bottom. I'm in, thank you!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

perfect, I'm familiar with that! will give it a shot. That was it, but wow that backglass is heavy (compared to new games). Nothing to grip either, had to pry from the bottom. I'm in, thank you!

Not one LED in the back box (seems pretty dead in here). Looks like one of the boards (lower left) is newer. Fuses mounted on the right above the power all check out. Bad MPU or bad power supply maybe?

E359FB7E-9C7E-45D2-BDD2-067E81D36FF0 (resized).jpegE359FB7E-9C7E-45D2-BDD2-067E81D36FF0 (resized).jpeg

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Are you thinking of selling Kiss as a project?

I would sell this pin (once I repair it!). It was my first pin as an adult, bought it for as much a prop in a game room as to play, but quickly got bit by the bug and now own 9 with one on the way, and out of room!!! Love the nostalgia of this machine, but enjoy the gameplay of newer pins with ramps, toys, etc.

Cabinet is a bit beat up, playfield aged as one might expect. Worked fine since I bought it 3-4 years ago until just now.

#10 3 years ago

Did you test the fuses with an ohm meter for continuity?

Did you measure the rectifier board test points for proper voltages coming out of it?

Is the green LED on the MPU board flashing as the machine gets the power turned on? It should flash 7 times then go out.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Did you test the fuses with an ohm meter for continuity?
Did you measure the rectifier board test points for proper voltages coming out of it?
Is the green LED on the MPU board flashing as the machine gets the power turned on? It should flash 7 times then go out.

Negative on the MPU board LED. It doesn’t light at all, so either it’s bad or it’s not getting the right power. I ordered a replacement MPU (the Alltek that allows free play), hopefully that’s it.

On the fuses I just checked continuity from one side to the other, and got tone.

Rectifier board test - I’m not familiar. Is there a link or could you let me know how?

Thank you!!

#12 3 years ago

Robby. Go to Pinwiki and look at the tests for the rectifier board. Also, take a good look at the connectors to make sure a wire didn’t fall off or burn off.

#13 3 years ago

^^ What Bill said ^^

I can already see a problem on the rectifier board. There's a wire cut from a plug and wired direct to one of the test points. The rectifier board is definitely the first place to look.

Can also see zip cord and duct tape in there so it appears to need a bit of TLC.

Start here:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Problems_and_Solutions

#14 3 years ago

That's the wrong rectifier board for kiss. Kiss uses a much larger board. Someone replaced the original board and hacked in the extra wires.

Here is what i recommend. Order a new rectifier board compatible for KISS. The connectors look OK but if there is burning order a rectifier board connecter kit while you are at it. Once you replace the rectifier board, unplug all the other boards and test the voltages on the RB to see if they are close to spec. Then connect the PS board (upper right) and check the voltages there. Once both the RB and PS are reading close to spec, you can connect the MPU and see if you get LED flashes.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

That's the wrong rectifier board for kiss. Kiss uses a much larger board. Someone replaced the original board and hacked in the extra wires.
Here is what i recommend. Order a new rectifier board compatible for KISS. The connectors look OK but if there is burning order a rectifier board connecter kit while you are at it. Once you replace the rectifier board, unplug all the other boards and test the voltages on the RB to see if they are close to spec. Then connect the PS board (upper right) and check the voltages there. Once both the RB and PS are reading close to spec, you can connect the MPU and see if you get LED flashes.

So I got my multi-meter and did tests on the test points, and they all tested as they should (per this website - http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/bly_volts.php). Which test point would be relevant to the MPU board, TP3 (5v regulator supply voltage)? If this is testing ok (which it is), would it point to a bad MPU board (and the new one should work)?

In other news (which clearly needs attention), TP3 has what should be J3 pin 8 (I can see where the connector is just burned out/broken so the wire was pulled out) soldered directly to it. What is Rectifier board, J3, Pin 8 (I can't follow the schematics in the manual, a little over my skis there)? Seems like whatever this goes to is skipping the fuse (obviously not good!)? Also, J1 (a 9-pin block) has a 10-pin connector connected to it, ugh. Pin 10 (an aqua colored wire) is hanging over the edge, but it's been working like this, so wonder what have I been missing?

I have a new MPU and rectifier board coming in the next few days. Watched a video on replacing the rectifier board, doesn't look to terrible (unless all the E connection points don't match). Enjoying learning about this. My conclusion is that even though my rectifier board is highly rigged, the new MPU board should fix the issue. That said (even if correct), I'm going to tackle the rectifier board as it's clearly not setup as designed!

#16 3 years ago

When removing the rectifier board, don’t forget to remove the screws in the center that go thru the bridge rectifiers. You would be surprised at how times that gets overlooked when trying to remove the board. Everyone is concentrating on the plastic standoffs and can’t figure out why the board won’t come off.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

When removing the rectifier board, don’t forget to remove the screws in the center that go thru the bridge rectifiers. You would be surprised at how times that gets overlooked when trying to remove the board. Everyone is concentrating on the plastic standoffs and can’t figure out why the board won’t come off.

And we continue. Got the new MPU board and didn’t make it last this part of the instructions (see attached). TP1 on the solenoid board only got .14 bolts DC, looks like it’s supposed to get 5v. So I don’t want to plug in a new board until I know what’s up. I have the new rectifier on the way, do I need to order a new solenoid board as well or is that test fail more related to the rectifier?

Ugh, I’m thinking I need all new wire harnesses too (as the JP3 plug on the rectifier board looks all burned up).

Would love any suggestions, right now my plan is to install the new rectifier board when it gets here, then run the test points, then do the same for the solenoid. If it’s still .14v at TP1, order a new solenoid driver board. Will eventually get there!

C81415C4-92AF-44CF-8176-0150600E35A4 (resized).jpegC81415C4-92AF-44CF-8176-0150600E35A4 (resized).jpeg
#18 3 years ago

Don’t worry about the SDB until you get correct voltages from the rectifier board.

You mentioned the game has been stored for awhile. Was the head removed? If so, verify the ground straps are tied together. There should be a flat braided cable that comes up from the cabinet and is connected together by a screw to the braid that runs across the bottom of the head near the front of the cabinet.

Yes, you need to repin all the connectors on the rectifier board, and replace the burned up connector housings. Also, as Big Al mentioned, that rectifier board is the wrong one.

The repair guide is methodical and should be followed closely. No point in doing much else till the connectors are good, as well as correct voltages from the rectifier board.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Don’t worry about the SDB until you get correct voltages from the rectifier board.
You mentioned the game has been stored for awhile. Was the head removed? If so, verify the ground straps are tied together. There should be a flat braided cable that comes up from the cabinet and is connected together by a screw to the braid that runs across the bottom of the head near the front of the cabinet.
Yes, you need to repin all the connectors on the rectifier board, and replace the burned up connector housings. Also, as Big Al mentioned, that rectifier board is the wrong one.
The repair guide is methodical and should be followed closely. No point in doing much else till the connectors are good, as well as correct voltages from the rectifier board.

As ugly as it is, I am getting the correct voltages from the rectifier board test points. I’m still going to replace it.

#20 3 years ago

Ok. Reading your post again, since you’re getting good voltages from the rectifier board:

On the SDB, what do you read at Test Point (TP) 5? You should read about 12VDC. If not, then there’s a wiring issue from the rectifier board to the SDB.

Just to verify, does TP3 and TP1 read the same?

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Ok. Reading your post again, since you’re getting good voltages from the rectifier board:
On the SDB, what do you read at Test Point (TP) 5? You should read about 12VDC. If not, then there’s a wiring issue from the rectifier board to the SDB.
Just to verify, does TP3 and TP1 read the same?

On the SDB, TP5 is 2.4.

On the SDB, TP3 and TP1 read the same, .14V.

I think it's the connection/plug at J3 on the rectifier board, which I'll redo.

Really appreciate the hand holding.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

On the SDB, TP5 is 2.4.
On the SDB, TP3 and TP1 read the same, .14V.
I think it's the connection/plug at J3 on the rectifier board, which I'll redo.
Really appreciate the hand holding.

So here is my rectifier board. The wire that’s supposed to go to j3 pin 8 is tied to tp3.

BA6DE0D6-4DD5-41E8-83D2-0B3C9411B0A0 (resized).jpegBA6DE0D6-4DD5-41E8-83D2-0B3C9411B0A0 (resized).jpeg
#23 3 years ago

Robby - your wiring is ugly, but typical. You really need to repin the connectors going to the rectifier board. Since you are replacing the rectifier board, I would not worry about repinning the board itself.

Until you get the proper voltages out of the rectifier board and to the SDB, there's nothing else to do.

Do you have the parts and equipment to repin?

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Robby - your wiring is ugly, but typical. You really need to repin the connectors going to the rectifier board. Since you are replacing the rectifier board, I would not worry about repinning the board itself.
Until you get the proper voltages out of the rectifier board and to the SDB, there's nothing else to do.
Do you have the parts and equipment to repin?

yes sir, on the way. I have the rectifier board, which came with new plugs and crimp connectors. Just waiting on a crimper. I'm going to install the new rectifier board, and re-plug J3 (the others look fine).

The only mystery to me now (and I guess I'll find out) is that J1 currently has a 10-pin plug, and it's a 9-pin header. What is on pin 10 that is hanging over (pic attached)?

Also, the orange cable that is soldered to TP3 (11V), I believe should be pin 8 of J3, which measures at 5V. Wondering if sending that extra voltage to the SDB caused the problem.

IMG_8998 (resized).jpgIMG_8998 (resized).jpg
#25 3 years ago

As BigAl said above, you have the wrong rectifier board in that machine.
When you swap in a new board - the 9th pin will be terminated properly.
The 9th pin is a switched lamp power connection.

Pin 8 of J3 is your unregulated 12V power which is supposed to be the input to the 5V regulator.
Rather than fix the plug (and burned header) - the previous person just ran the wire to the testpoint. Voltage wise, that is fine but should have only been temporary until it was fixed right. But as to why it is measuring 5V now...? That one is yet to be determined - let's wait until new board is installed and see if he puts out the 12V.

Since you burnt the 12V line from the rectifier board J3 pin 8 to the solenoid driver board, I would guess that the 25 pin plug at the SDB is in equally bad condition. Look into pinwiki for some jumpers to the SDB to help reduce the chances of 25 pin plug failures.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_Driver_Upgrades
This can be something to look at while waiting for the new rectifier board.

#26 3 years ago

Well, I’m feeling very accomplished right now. Replaced the rectifier board with a new one. That definitely stretched my skills/knowledge on soldering and electrical components, but just followed the directions, all the wires were the right colors, etc. while I’m waiting for crimpers to make a new J3 plug, I plugged in the broken 2-piece (used to be one piece before it broke at pinJ3 and manually crimped (added a little solder) the orange wire that was connected directly to the old rectifier TP3, and pushed it in the cavity for pin 8. It’s in their snug and on the pin. Got my 5 bolts at SDB TP1, and plugged back in my original MPU board and bingo, back in business!

I want to remake JP3 on the rectifier correctly, and I guess I’m going to install the Alltek MPU for free play . Put some money into a game that I was basically going to give away, but now will be hard to do. I guess I’ll just make more room, story of my life with this hobby (I know I’m not alone).

Thank you all for the help, pinside is such a great community.

5784B5CA-D37C-4C91-AF89-C362EBC5A886 (resized).jpeg5784B5CA-D37C-4C91-AF89-C362EBC5A886 (resized).jpeg
#27 3 years ago

Robbie -

Glad it worked out. If you don’t want to install the new MPU,(keep it as a spare) go into settings and set the first game award to 10,000 or however low it will allow you to go. Almost everyone can make that score, so you won’t have to worry about dropping quarters or opening the coin door.

Tell us about your avatar. Why IRL? I always liked those cars.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Robbie -
Glad it worked out. If you don’t want to install the new MPU,(keep it as a spare) go into settings and set the first game award to 10,000 or however low it will allow you to go. Almost everyone can make that score, so you won’t have to worry about dropping quarters or opening the coin door.
Tell us about your avatar. Why IRL? I always liked those cars.

That’s what I used to do, from 1999-2004. Drove the #5 car in 2000 (after Arie retired) and that’s been my username about everywhere ever since. Car in the avatar picture is in the 2003 Indy 500 with Panther Racing. I went out and bought the Indianapolis 500 pinball, turns out it was not well cared for so I essentially restored it (blew up a few things learning) and got bit by the pinball bug.

#29 3 years ago

Indy Rookie of the Year in 1999. Awesome to have you involved in our hobby.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-kiss-dead-on-power-up-?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.