Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150616_112220111.jpg
IMG_20150615_141640388.jpg
297376.jpg
IMG_20150615_141646106.jpg
IMG_20150615_141656879.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm going to swing by and check out a friend's non-working Kiss tomorrow. Any typical issues that I should be on the lookout for? I have never worked with early SS pins.

#2 8 years ago

Socketed IC's on MPU board get loose. Bad flipper coil due to misadjusted EOS switch burns up the coil and causes a blown fuse that prevents the MPU from fully powering up. Or, simply a bad MPU board because of a faulty clock, zero crossing or reset circuit .

#3 8 years ago

Ive seen 3 different machines that don't fire turn them on wiggle the connectors a little bit and bam!!!

#4 8 years ago

Kiss is no different from the other early Bally's. The lamp sockets suck and that 4x4 array can be a PITA to keep lit. There is a replacement for it.
The aux lamp board usually has failed transistors too but is easily fixable.

#5 8 years ago

Save yourself a lot of grief searching for gremlins & re-pin all of the connectors.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the tips.
I have no experience with the 80s SS stuff. We'll see how it goes.

#7 8 years ago

Well the MPU is completely missing and all of the connectors on the rectifier board were cut and soldered to the back of the header pins.

Which MPU is the best replacement for this game? I can probably fix the rec board.

The good news out of this visit is that I will get a project Space Station for helping him out. Maybe even a Tempest arcade.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I'm going to swing by and check out a friend's non-working Kiss tomorrow. Any typical issues that I should be on the lookout for? I have never worked with early SS pins.

Oh man... i dont even know where to begin hehe...

If it is dead... Start with power supply. MPU board needs +5v and +12v to start booting up.

Generally Bally games suffer from poor connectors. Single sided PCBs crack solder joints. .100" connectors rip at the ends. Rectifier plugs burn up. Poor grounding on the driver board (see connectors). The original MPU battery pukes its guts on the MPU and sometimes the lamp driver.

#10 8 years ago

Thank you guys. All advice is appreciated. Is the Alltech MPU fine?

Vid, this will help a ton.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The original MPU battery pukes its guts on the MPU and sometimes the lamp driver.

I have no idea what the orig MPU looked like, it was missing when he got the game. He got the game as a package deal with his current wife

Thankfully, there was no sign of acid damage on the lamp driver board. I looked pretty hard at it and everything seemed clean there.

#12 8 years ago

Get the Alltek Ultimate MPU Board. It's great and has free play built in if you choose to use that option.

2 weeks later
#13 8 years ago

First off this is probably a noob fix:

I've got a weird one here. When the guy first showed me the machine he turned it on and said this is all that it does. It lit up and had flipper power. He had an extension cable plugged into the service outlet and the main power cable was cut. What gives here?

IMG_20150615_141656879.jpgIMG_20150615_141656879.jpgIMG_20150615_141646106.jpgIMG_20150615_141646106.jpg

#15 8 years ago

He had it running to the wall from the service outlet.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

He had it running to the wall from the service outlet.

nice.

#17 8 years ago

Get a new 16 gauge or thicker, 3 prong extension cord, black not orange.

Cut the female end off and wire it in.

Give us some wider angle shots, to make sure nothing else is crazy.....

297376.jpg297376.jpg
#18 8 years ago

Here is the only other one that I took. I'm not sure that it tells much more. IMG_20150615_141640388.jpgIMG_20150615_141640388.jpg

#19 8 years ago

The photo crops out the MOV on the line filter - you want to make sure it's not blown.

Usually when someone does something dumb with electricity, there is a reason.....

#20 8 years ago

The cabinet switch has something wonky going on. I had everything wired up correctly but somebody has monkeyed with this:IMG_20150616_112220111.jpgIMG_20150616_112220111.jpg

#21 8 years ago

Yeah, that switch is supposed to be a Single Throw Double Pole

#22 8 years ago

How should this switch be wired? I don't want to kill myself or someone else wiring it up incorrectly. What are the ways to test that switch and the line filter for proper function?

#23 8 years ago

Another odd one was that the harness for j3 on the power transformer was missing the wire for j3-13 solenoid bus. Connectors J1-3 were soldered directly to the back of the header pins. The cable ties look to have been untouched in thirty years or so. Where can I look to hunt this rogue wire down? This baby is turning out to have some nice hacks.

#24 8 years ago

Pg 38 of the manual shows how the switch was supposed to be wired.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1386/Bally_1979_Kiss_Manual.pdf

#25 8 years ago

The only problem I've ever had with my Bally KISS is it makes the ladies too hot and bothered when they see it lit up. I just can't keep up.

#26 8 years ago

It looked like an easy job. I should have known better.

1 week later
#27 8 years ago

I'm getting somewhere now. The line filter tested okay. MOV is good. I have a new power switch DPST installed. The Power rectifier board still has some problems. All hooked up, the game was giving me some GI and nothing else. The power test points were:

TP1- 7.5
TP2 - 246
TP3 - 1.2
TP4 - 7
TP5 - 44.5

Edit: I hooked it up to a power cord on the bench, after checking all of my solder work, and now I get 13.8 out of TP3.

#28 8 years ago

I was originally not getting anything on TP4 and then Captain Moron realized that he wasn't using the AC setting on the multimeter.

#29 8 years ago

KISS is running like a champ. Thanks to all who helped me out!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-kiss-any-typical-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.