New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 239805)

Bally kickoff coin door wiring.

By Cdemarac

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Cdemarac
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1169 (resized).JPG
7C45460F-1400-4381-AF43-72235649EB67 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

I have a Bally kickoff EM machine and when you start the machine and drop in a coin it makes a machine gun noise and I can watch the coin and credit relays bounce back and forward. I know that the coin switch it’s self is physically damaged but it checks out with a dmm. The normally open contacts are open and the normally closed ones are closed. And both change states when the switch is activated. I do not believe this switch is wired correctly the machine has never worked since I’ve had it. I’ve attached a picture if any one has an idea. Thanks Cody

7C45460F-1400-4381-AF43-72235649EB67 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

Hi Cody,

In my experience the trip wire for these coin switches usually is horizontal and the coin will cause it to pivot downward as it is in your picture and then it springs back upwards. Does the trip wire pivot at all? If it is stuck in the downward position, then it will be closing the NO wires, which might be causing your problems with it constantly firing relays. Might be something or could be nothing.

-TJ

#3 1 year ago

Here's a reference shot of 1 of 2 coin switches on a working 1976 Bally EM 2 player, similar to yours. Implies your wire coding may be correct, but you'll have to check the schematic. Note proper N/O position of this coin switch's trip wire: yours appears to be bent 45 degrees downward. Before trying to diagnose any circuits, replace the switch: they're more delicate than they look.

IMG_1169 (resized).JPG
#4 1 year ago

Alright thank you guys very much for the responses. I checked with a dmm and I think the switch is working but with the obvious physical damage and the low cost of the switch I am going to order two right now. I will let you know what the outcome is. Thanks Cody

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
$ 126.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 19.99
Playfield - Plastics
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 234.99
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 50.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside