• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Kick-Off-pinside-snippet-01-added (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I have a Bally kickoff 4 player that works but most of the times when I hit the credit button it will not reset the ball 1.
Sometimes it will start on Ball 3 sometimes we'll start on Ball 2 and etcetera. If I keep hitting the credit button it will go down to ball 1.
I guess my question is what activates the ball count unit back to ball 1. Thanks

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

what activates the ball count unit back to ball 1.

Does this help?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

So with the schematic, does the coin unit energize the ball count solenoid?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

So with the schematic, does the coin unit energize the ball count solenoid?

No

#5 3 years ago

Hi 2manypins
attention - in Your pin there is 110VAC, 48VAC, 6VAC - electricity can kill You. Toggle-off and unplug the main power cord. In the snippet of schematics ( HowardR , post-2) we see the "Ball-Count-Unit" Reset-Solenoid and the "Coin-Unit" Reset-Solenoid - both are actuated at the same time. (Main power cord unplugged) manually*** step the Coin-Unit - one side actuating is one step, another step, another step up --- the other side actuating is (reset) ALL (the way) down - just one step. The reset is done by a spring wound around the axis. Manually step on the Coin-Unit - up, up - down. See how it works ? The so-called "Coin-Unit" is the "How-many-players-want-to-participate-unit".
manually***: You hold the plunger and move the plunger all the way into the coil - let go and a retaining spring pulls the plunger back.

And now do the same on the Ball-Count-Unit - one side is up, up, up, up and the other side is (reset) ALL (the way) down - just one step. May step only "up, up, up" or "up, up" , then down - see how it works ? When You actuate the "down side" - does it FULLY reset ?
Doing this test You learn about "is the fault in Your pin just mechanically ?".
IF (if) "Yes" we the come to the discussion "simply just tighten the spring wound around the axis --- taking apart the Unit and clean it ?"
IF (if) "No" we must look at the wiring to the Unit. Greetings Rolf

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for both of the above post. As you can see I cannot really read a schematic.
Both the coin unit and ball count unit travel freely front and back.
It will start a game as I say if it's on five ball sometimes on three ball sometimes on the first ball sometimes on the 5th ball.
If I manually use the reset or coin relay it will reset correctly.

#7 3 years ago

It seems those relays are not being energized long enough

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

As you can see I cannot really read a schematic.

Check this, for a start: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#schematic

#9 3 years ago

Hi 2manypins
my mother tongue is german - I do not fully understand Your description (post-1 and post-6). I assume: By pressing several times the Credit-Button You start a Four-Player-Game, Your pin is set for "5 Balls per Play" - You play through all the player / balls and reach "Game Over" - You then press the Credit-Button just once - the Coin-Unit (the "How-many-players-want-to-participate-unit") is nice and resets to "1 can Play" - but the Ball-Count-Unit does only reset to (maybe Ball-3 or Ball-2) partially. Do I assume right ?
We live in different time zones - for me it is time to go to sleep. Till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

#10 3 years ago

Uptight the spring one turn on the ball in play, or clean the biscuit and wiper fingers after that use a tiny bit of oil to lower the friction on the wipers.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

Uptight the spring one turn on the ball in play, or clean the biscuit and wiper fingers after that use a tiny bit of oil to lower the friction on the wipers.

Have already done that but thanks

#12 3 years ago

Right now the game is on five ball. If I start a game sometimes it will start on ball for or maybe Ball 3 excetera.

#13 3 years ago

Hi 2manypins
You do not write about having done the test I supposed in post-9, well when You have played a FOUR-Player-Game to "Game-Over" - then You press once the Credit-Button and the Coin-Unit is nice and resets (completely) to "1 can Play" visible in the Backglass:
See my JPG (taken from post-2) - I added two Jumper-Wires - one Jumper-Wire connects "Lug-Wire-Black on Coin-Unit-RESET-Solenoid" with "Lug-Wire-Black on Ball-Count-Unit-RESET-Solenoid" and the other Jumper-Wire connects the other Lugs (having soldered-on Wire-Brown-Yellow). Attention, Danger - toggle-off the pin to set the Jumper-Wires.

With these 2 Jumper-Wires set: Equal time length - guaranteed current flowing also to the Coil on Ball-Count-Unit (((You asked in post-7 about time))). Greetings Rolf

0Kick-Off-pinside-snippet-01-added (resized).png0Kick-Off-pinside-snippet-01-added (resized).png
#14 3 years ago

I will check when I get home. Thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-kick-off-will-not-reset-to-ball-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.