Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by metalguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Kick Off Bonus Unit wipers (resized).jpg
    777CCFD8-DD36-4941-92F9-EBBFB6EB6C26 (resized).jpeg
    8F1B99EA-785A-41C9-B29E-7693934B3EE5 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Been working thru this kick off (I have the schematic) .

Both left and right pf arrow lights are sometimes lit at the same time although one is usually dimmer than the other. The same thing for goal value 5000 and extra ball pf lights. a-20 on schematic. Im also dealing with flaky bally sockets which isnt making things easier. When they are lit at the same time the yardage light seems to go out also.

The stepper fingers are not between rivets. I have been thru all score motor switches and switch stacks for shorts, adjustments and dirty switches but obviously I missed something.

I also checked for shorts under pf lighting.
    Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Also thought maybe someone took apart bonus stepper finger unit and put Bakelite spacer back incorrect possibly? Seems like it should go between 2 fingers?

8F1B99EA-785A-41C9-B29E-7693934B3EE5 (resized).jpeg8F1B99EA-785A-41C9-B29E-7693934B3EE5 (resized).jpeg
    #3 2 years ago

Here’s what my bonus unit looks like on my Bow and Arrow. Hope this helps with that part of your problem.

777CCFD8-DD36-4941-92F9-EBBFB6EB6C26 (resized).jpeg777CCFD8-DD36-4941-92F9-EBBFB6EB6C26 (resized).jpeg
    #4 2 years ago

Thanks my boomerang looks similar. If anyone has a kickoff or quarterback can you post a pic? Thanks

#5 2 years ago

You could verify the connections shown on the schematic:
    Kick Off Bonus Unit wipers (resized).jpgKick Off Bonus Unit wipers (resized).jpg
    It looks like there are six wipers (red arrows on the schematic) on the Bonus Unit unless I missed some. All of them connect the common yellow (30) wire to another wire as the Bonus Unit steps through its 30 positions. The schematic is likely drawn with the Bonus Unit in the reset position.

Looking at the schematic in the top center above, in the reset or 0 position the wiper should connect a yellow wire to an 85 or black-white wire. At the bottom of the schematic one of the two wipers should connect a yellow wire to a 21 or blue-red wire. The rest of the wipers make no connection in the reset or zero position. You should be able to verify these connections with your meter if you unplug the game first.

From there you can step the Bonus Unit up one position and check the connections made by the wipers in position 1. Repeat for as many other positions as you want. If the wipers aren't making the right connections you should be able to find where that happens.

Or, you could advance the Bonus Unit until you notice a problem, like both arrows being on. Then shut off the game and check the connections at whatever position the bonus stepper is in against what they should be according to the schematic.

Note that only positions 0-15 are shown in the bottom part of the schematic. There might be another pair of wipers that repeat that same pattern for positions 16-30.

/Mark

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

You could verify the connections shown on the schematic:
    [quoted image]
    It looks like there are six wipers (red arrows on the schematic) on the Bonus Unit unless I missed some. All of them connect the common yellow (30) wire to another wire as the Bonus Unit steps through its 30 positions. The schematic is likely drawn with the Bonus Unit in the reset position.
    Looking at the schematic in the top center above, in the reset or 0 position the wiper should connect a yellow wire to an 85 or black-white wire. At the bottom of the schematic one of the two wipers should connect a yellow wire to a 21 or blue-red wire. The rest of the wipers make no connection in the reset or zero position. You should be able to verify these connections with your meter if you unplug the game first.
    From there you can step the Bonus Unit up one position and check the connections made by the wipers in position 1. Repeat for as many other positions as you want. If the wipers aren't making the right connections you should be able to find where that happens.
    Or, you could advance the Bonus Unit until you notice a problem, like both arrows being on. Then shut off the game and check the connections at whatever position the bonus stepper is in against what they should be according to the schematic.
    Note that only positions 0-15 are shown in the bottom part of the schematic. There might be another pair of wipers that repeat that same pattern for positions 16-30.
    /Mark

Thanks mark. Fingers seem to line up with studs correct colors although pain in the butt to check. All fingers have continuity between each other. All fingers are singles arms. Should they have fish paper/ bake light between them?

#7 1 year ago

Continuity doesn't really tell you much unless you study the schematic and convince yourself there aren't any parallel paths that the meter can detect. What you're looking for is very low (an ohm or less) resistance between points to know that they're connected directly to each other.

Since all of the wipers connect to the same yellow wire it's unlikely that they would be insulated from each other.

#8 1 year ago

This one is driving me nuts. It’s like I’m getting ghost voltage to some of the bonus lights. If I pull off say the finger for right arrow/ 5000 the lights for goal light come back on and both arrows dim to almost nothing.

#9 1 year ago

I also notice at start up after bonus unit resets it jumps up two spots starting at 20 yards instead of 10. Aha let me look further

#10 1 year ago

No that’s not it because bonus count is starting at 1000 which is correct.

#11 1 year ago

Ok if I hit a flipper or shake hard it sometimes fixes it partially but still getting glow in other bulbs

#12 1 year ago

What the hell problem seems to have gone away on its own. I actually hate it when that happens. I want to know for next time.

#13 1 year ago

Nope after 10 games or so it’s back

#14 1 year ago

Ok. Went back and traced the common wire under pf. Where the braid joined to red wire it was stapled in a weird way and solder was loose. I still don’t get how both lights were lit. Usually with a loose joint it’s either on or off flickering not all lights in circuit dim/ strobing. Any insight?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-kick-off-lighting-issues- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.