784E0081-7EE9-4E2F-97A6-A04810FE93AB (resized).jpeg
DA64F001-B60B-476A-88C7-F893AF5E1D2A (resized).jpeg
Joust Pop Bumper Shield Decal Color Change.jpg
Joust PF.jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago

Good info, thanks.

I worked on the lower left area a little since the last post. The knight has a diamond shaped grid pattern in 2 areas and that took a ton of time. I finished one of them, so the second one shouldn't take as long. Also did some of the larger areas of the knight and the horse. Will try to get some more time in on it soon so I can finish up, tweak colors as needed, and get the overlay print started. I'll do a picture when it is pretty much done and see if anyone has any color tweaks they would like to suggest.

4 months later
#102 8 years ago

And done! With the art that is. I need to tweak the colors a little, and I think there is an extra blue in there because one area was faded so bad that it threw me off. I tried a ton of ways on this computer to get the vibrant view from autocad into an image file, but they are all coming out like junk. The full size PDF is 25mb though, and looks pretty decent.

joust_progress_need_colors_fixed_(resized).JPGjoust_progress_need_colors_fixed_(resized).JPG

5 months later
#103 7 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the front of the cab? As head on as possible is best. Before I sanded everything, I took pics of the cab side and the head, and thought I had one of the front. It looks like I don't. I did the art for the cab side and the head yesterday and finished color matching the PF. The colors won't be perfect, but neither are the images I'm referencing and who knows how much things have changed from exposure over time. It's time for this project to be done, and that's the direction I'm heading.

#104 7 years ago

This cabinet had a very bad hand repaint but it seemed true to the original lines. Not much there. Hopefully you can find a better shot.

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bsccapt/catalogue-id-bsccapt10052/lot-e3fc9fc8-ba60-4b74-9525-a60b005c3e3c

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

This cabinet had a very bad hand repaint but it seemed true to the original lines. Not much there. Hopefully you can find a better shot.
http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bsccapt/catalogue-id-bsccapt10052/lot-e3fc9fc8-ba60-4b74-9525-a60b005c3e3c

That's pretty interesting. Mine had yellow triangles about 1/3 of the way down the cab. I wonder if there was a different art style, or if that one just painted over them since they were that far gone.

1 week later
#106 7 years ago

The last of the painted items was sanded today. Going to start clearing soon.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

2 months later
#107 7 years ago

Stained twice and there is still some tone difference. I think it's just going to be like that. Hoping the overlay I designed will cover those edges. Shot a coat of clear tonight outside since the wind was actually calm. Another coat tomorrow and then bugging the print house until they actually start the job I sent them weeks ago. Stain is straight on picture, clear is angled, just in case the pictures are flipped.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#108 7 years ago

Joust is a superb game if a person likes "zipper flippers".
An unknown EM for many now, but just like Fireball and Four Million B.C., Ted Zale games hold their own.
Keep up the good work, especially the playfield vector art.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.
The colors below are the actual factory colors in their original vibrancy including the plastics for reference.
The jousting lance color on the cabinet and sides is "antique gold" similar to Eight Ball Deluxe.
If you are doing a full cabinet restencil don't forget the blue spatter effect that is on top of the ivory white for the side and backbox.

I am doing some clear vinyl decaling for the pop bumpers in vector to match other games of the period.
There were no hot stamps done for this game, and the original factory white caps just seem bare.
Using 10 and 100 point caps, makes the game just not look right.
A hot stamp mold for this game would be ridiculously expensive for several sets of caps.

Not that many left of this title now in the world from the original 1000+.
People love playing this game, but still get their a$$ handed to them, if they do not know how to play EMs and strategy of the game.

Keep flipping,

TBK

Joust PF.jpgJoust PF.jpg

Joust Pop Bumper Shield Decal Color Change.jpgJoust Pop Bumper Shield Decal Color Change.jpg

#109 7 years ago

Apropos of nothing, my dorm room back in 1979:

http://backglass.org/duncan/uva_dorm_pinball_1.jpg

#110 7 years ago

Fantastic, thanks for the info. I thought the caps had the paint wear off, but I guess not.

I have struggled to get things done on this game as far as art because I redid the art in AutoCAD and the place I was having print the decals couldn't pull in the PDF without it crashing the computer. I was able to convert it to the format they use and now things are rolling again. I don't think the colors are going to be accurate, but my machine was very faded and wasn't certain of the clarity of the images I was finding. I've only played a few games on this before starting the project, but it was a butt kicker for sure. The slings (especially the right side) are aimed right for the outlanes, and the gap on the left side outlane is pretty large. Looking forward to getting this one done and flipping again.

1 week later
#111 7 years ago

Coming soon to a YouTube theatre new you.
The Washington State Pinball Stronghold has returned...

Added over 7 years ago: Promo was removed, final review was posted.

The next game review is scheduled for release before Christmas.

1 year later
#112 5 years ago

I recently found a shop in town who would print my overlay. So I trimmed it and put it down wet. Worked out as many bubbles as I could and a lot settled overnight. That turned out way better than it started.

I did a few layers of clear and dropped some clear over all of the inserts to bring them up to level. It’s been curing for over a week so I started sanding last night. Knocked the inserts down and then gave everything a once over to fix a few other surface floaters. Have a few more passes at 800 grit before moving on to the next step. I have 1500 or 2000 as my finest level.

784E0081-7EE9-4E2F-97A6-A04810FE93AB (resized).jpeg784E0081-7EE9-4E2F-97A6-A04810FE93AB (resized).jpegDA64F001-B60B-476A-88C7-F893AF5E1D2A (resized).jpegDA64F001-B60B-476A-88C7-F893AF5E1D2A (resized).jpeg
#113 5 years ago

10 out of 10 for effort.....

#114 5 years ago

The parts shelf is empty, and the hardware in the cup is all gone. So it looks like we are ready to put the playfield back in. Hooking up the jones plugs and plugging it in went well enough.

Press start. The score motor spins and things click. Scores reset to zero and a ball pops out. The lights flicker. Not just the insert or GI, but both groups at the same time. Flippers work though, so let’s give it a go.

Playing a few games over the course of 30 minutes the lights flickered a lot, so I’ll check out the condition of the fuse holder since I’m guessing they are all on the same fuse. A few switches didn’t register, while some came around after a little use.

The bell works, normally. The could gets hot though, as if it’s always on, but it can’t be. Maybe it’s just in most of the time and when it is told to fire it lets go and locks back on again, seeming to work.

I’m pretty excited to be at this stage. This has been a very long term project and it’s nice to at least have the art part done and the parts no longer spewed over a shelf. The little fixes are probably 50/50 as to if I will have to seek help. The things common to SS games will be fine. EM specific stuff is going to need to be researched.

Woot! Woot!

215DA420-D490-4A73-9388-96DA99CE7688 (resized).jpeg215DA420-D490-4A73-9388-96DA99CE7688 (resized).jpeg562DA9B5-F789-4D38-B0B9-46D2DAB50DA9 (resized).jpeg562DA9B5-F789-4D38-B0B9-46D2DAB50DA9 (resized).jpeg8B0D0EE6-6680-48E6-B535-547E5437471B (resized).jpeg8B0D0EE6-6680-48E6-B535-547E5437471B (resized).jpeg
#115 5 years ago

Wow! It really took a loooong time, but you saw it through. Great job!

#116 5 years ago

Thanks. I went to put a spare part in the cab this morning and noticed the game counter. This was from my last game of the night yesterday.

A3E6AC86-32AE-41F7-9D65-720617155F86 (resized).jpegA3E6AC86-32AE-41F7-9D65-720617155F86 (resized).jpeg
#117 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

The parts shelf is empty, and the hardware in the cup is all gone. So it looks like we are ready to put the playfield back in. Hooking up the jones plugs and plugging it in went well enough.
Press start. The score motor spins and things click. Scores reset to zero and a ball pops out. The lights flicker. Not just the insert or GI, but both groups at the same time. Flippers work though, so let’s give it a go.
Playing a few games over the course of 30 minutes the lights flickered a lot, so I’ll check out the condition of the fuse holder since I’m guessing they are all on the same fuse. A few switches didn’t register, while some came around after a little use.
The bell works, normally. The could gets hot though, as if it’s always on, but it can’t be. Maybe it’s just in most of the time and when it is told to fire it lets go and locks back on again, seeming to work.
I’m pretty excited to be at this stage. This has been a very long term project and it’s nice to at least have the art part done and the parts no longer spewed over a shelf. The little fixes are probably 50/50 as to if I will have to seek help. The things common to SS games will be fine. EM specific stuff is going to need to be researched.
Woot! Woot!

Great job!! Now don't let the sun from the window fade that cabinet.

#118 5 years ago

your machine looks beautiful ....

counter says it's just gettin' broken-in (or it had been flipped a few times )

IMG_1609 (resized).JPGIMG_1609 (resized).JPG
#119 5 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

your machine looks beautiful ....
counter says it's just gettin' broken-in (or it had been flipped a few times )

Thanks. I’m truly wondering myself if that is actually 15k plays, or if it’s been rolled a time or two. I plan to put a ton of plays on the game, so it’ll get out of the minor league at some point.

2 weeks later
#120 5 years ago

Brought my Joust to Pintastic 2018 & was very well received with 581 plays.

Held up great but the last 15 minutes of the show the left pop went limp, it was a leaf switch on "left pop relay" that was previously repaired (short ones PBR doesn't have ) & a crack formed in one of my orange flipper bats. I thought doubling the rubbers on them would help.

IMG_1615 (resized).JPGIMG_1615 (resized).JPGIMG_1621 (resized).JPGIMG_1621 (resized).JPGIMG_1625 (resized).JPGIMG_1625 (resized).JPG
#121 5 years ago

Cool game. Thanks for bringing it.

#122 5 years ago

Nice! I was digging in mine a little yesterday working on one of the several issues I have yet to track and resolve.

#123 5 years ago

Does anyone have a schematic for Joust? My biggest issue is the lights, all of them, will flicker on and off. Most often it's when coils fire. Because the game can be plugged in and turned on with the left flipper or credit, I'm thinking there is at least one relay that turn on lights. I'd like to check it out and start by cleaning contacts and see where that gets me. I have a feeling going through every switch (relays and others) with IPA and q-tips is in my future, but I'd like to get the lighting issue understood and resolved first.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Does anyone have a schematic for Joust?

Pbresource.com should have them.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Pbresource.com should have them.

that is where I had gotten mine , schematic , manual & score motor chart. I think the G.I. goes through the "anti-cheat relay"

member Inkochnito had made relay strips available on his Website if yours are trashed

#126 5 years ago

I hit the high voltage contacts (well, did the low voltage ones too) of the anti-cheat relay with some IPA and q-tips. The light flickering seems to be gone after playing several times to confirm.

I’m going to go through and do that to everything since it cleared up a lot of issues on my Doodle Bug as well.

3 years later
#127 2 years ago

Wow your game looks great!!
But seeing all the work you went through...wow! I don't think I would ever have the energy or the patience to do all that.
I like my Joust though! It's a cool game!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 7.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 9.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-joust-1969-oh-boy/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.