(Topic ID: 175147)

Bally Home Pinball Power Supply

By IceCreamMan

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Had a friend drop off a Bally Capt Fantastic "Home Model" pin to work on. The power supply had issues. His original issues were described as tripping the breakers for both left and right side coils.

Installed new caps and got my voltage back in line. Input voltage from the transformer is as follows:
    Pins 1/3: 5.5VAC (5.25VAC Target)
    Pins 7/9: 19.4VAC (18 VAC Target)
    Pins 2/4: 5.5VAC (5.25VAC Target)

Now checking incoming voltage on the CPU board (or outbound from the Power Supply):
    Pins 1/5: 18.2VDC (18VDC Target)
    Pins 12/5: 5.01VDC (5VDC Target)
    Pins 19/5: 26.2VDC (22VDC Target)

The main CPU chip has a new socket installed (OEM was the crappy brown style)

After repair, the display came right up and I was actually able to start a quick game. Before my 2nd ball, both slingshot coils locked on and so did the outhole kicker. Display went blank.

I suspect the previous issue with 5VDC being high, it may have corrupted the CPU chip.

Any suggestions before I spend $90 on a CPU chip? For reference, this is NOT my pin and I'm trying to help a friend out. He likes pinball but cannot afford much more than the home models.

#2 7 years ago

Your +22 volts is solenoid power and is unregulated. Technically, it could be as high as 30 volts in some instances. That voltage rail is only for coils anyway.

The critical voltage is the +5v. If it is out of spec the cpu board will lock all the coils on.

Did the power supply board get new connectors? These games tended to burn up the connectors a lot.

#3 7 years ago

Not all coils are locked on. Both pop bumpers are okay. The other coils lock on right at power up.

Right now the CPU doesn't seem to be trying to boot....My critical voltage is right at 5.01VDC now.

Connectors are original. Do you recommend I start there?

#4 7 years ago

If the cpu isn't booting, the cpu chip could be shot. How well did you solder in the new cpu socket?

#5 7 years ago

Solder job is good. It was not booting before I replaced the socket. In my past experience, I know that style of sockets to be problematic, so I replaced the socket just to be safe.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-home-pinball-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.