(Topic ID: 239612)

Bally Hokus Pokus - Scores reset relay cycling excessfully...maybe?

By wrd1972_PinDoc

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Hokus-Pokus-Work-06 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I am doing a mini restoration on a Bally Hokus Pokus, and Iam trying to determine if I have an issue with the scoring reel rest function, when a game is started.

When the game is started, the scoring reels will start cycling and properly change to all zeros. But after the reels all show zeros, the "reset Scores" relay and the scoring motor will continue to cycle for what seems to be an excessive amount of time. I am thinking that once the reels all reach zero, then the "Reset Scores" relay should stop cycling. Am I mistaken?

The number of cycles can very any where from two additional cycles, to ten additional cycles. But the game will always reach play state after the "scores relay" has stopped cycling. It does not seem to get stuck in that cycle, and never end.

The switches on the scoring reels appear to be properly adjusted, and I believe they are in the proper states for all zeros on the reals. But there must be an elusive switch somewhere that I cant seem to find. Or maybe all of this is normal operation.

Can someone please point me tell mne f this is normal, or point me in the direction of a solution?

Thanks
B

#2 5 years ago

The Score Reset relay won't release until all 8 Drum Unit Zero switches are open. The "(8)" in this schematic fragment means there are 8 switches in the machine where only 1 is drawn on the schematic. One of those Drum Unit Zero switches is probably gapped too tight.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

Hi Harold,
Thank you for helping me out again.

Each drum has three switches. And I have absolutely verified that all 12 switches are in the open position when the "scores reset" relay continues to cycle. I really think the issue is elsewhere from these 12 switches.

So more troubleshooting info:

So if I manually advance every drum to show a number OTHER than zero. Then manually cycle the "scores reset" relay by hand, I can confirm that the drums will rotate to the 0 position, and once every drum is at the 0 position, the "scores reset" relay can no longer manually be toggled. It is now dead for all intents and purposes. This truly indicates that the 12 switches are now all in the open position. Hope thats an accurate statement.

Also if I power up the machine with all drums in the 0 position. I can then manually toggle the "scores reset" relay, but it will do nothing as expected. BUT if I start a game, the "scores reset" relay will indeed start cycling anywhere from 2-12 cycles, of five clicks each per cycle.

Again when this happens, it can very from 2-12 cycles of the "scores reset" relay, then the game is ready to play. The game also will never stick in a position where the "scores reset" relay continuously cycles out of control.

Does this provide any additional insight into the issue? Is there any chance that this is normal and the scoring motor is simply inducing some kiond of "randomness", prior to the game starting?

#4 5 years ago

Hi wrd1972
in HowardR 's post-2 I saw arrows and text - so I looked it up and put the stuff side by side - well had to mirrow a part --- what so I see (see the JPG here): The Score-Motor-Switch-1C (my QQQ) is drawn twice - completely drawn, twice, hmm.
When one of the "encircled red switches is faulty closed then the Reset-Relay does faulty stay pulling. When the two "encircled brown" switches both are faulty then the Reset-Relay does faulty stay pulling. When the switch on Game-Over-Relay is faulty and "from my brown question mark a fault comes in" then Reset-Relay does faulty stay pulling.
Can You look at the Bonus-Score-Relay while the fault happens - faulty pulling ?
Check all the "encircled red, encircled brown" switches for propper gapping. Greetings Rolf

0Hokus-Pokus-Work-06 (resized).jpg0Hokus-Pokus-Work-06 (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago

Okay made some progress. I checked the highlighted switches,and is now mostly working. However I still have an intermittent condition where sometimes...the scoring drums will NOT all reset to 0's at game start, and then the ball will kick out. Does not do it all of the time. So there must be a single switch that is still slightly gapped wrong, but which one?

I am very confident that the switches on the drums, and the SCORE RESET RELAY are gapped correctly.

So regarding 1C/SCM. Does this indicate the #1 cam wheel on the scoring motor, 3rd switch in the array? Trying to understand that lingo there.

So could I kindly ask what all switches in the scoring motor unit, pertain to drum reset. I think the problem is likely there. Is it possible to determine which cam wheel and switch in the array? Any other relevant switches between the scoring motor unit, and the RESET RELAY (not scores reset relay)?

Thanks

#6 5 years ago

More info.
The RESET RELAY (not scores reset relay) needs to make 2 cycles if any drum shows a score value of 1-4, in order to return to 0.
- Intermittently, the RESET relay only does only ONE cycle, thus the drums dont return to 0 as they should, then the ball kicks out.
- What would cause the RESET RELAY to only cycle once when 1-4 is shown on at least one drum? It should ALWAYS cycle 2 time.

The RESET RELAY (not scores reset relay) needs to make only 1 cycle if any drum shows a score value of 0, or 5-9.
-Typical not an issue as long as drums show values of 0, or 5-9

The switches in the RESET RELAY appear to be gapped correctly. SO I am curious as to which scoring motor switches might need to be looked at closer.

#7 5 years ago

Update:
I found a wire off of the switch for a drum solenoid. Seems to have fixed the issue. Will continue to test and post another update tomorrow.

2 weeks later
#8 5 years ago

Yep that detached wire caused the issues. Thanks all for the assistance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hokus-pokus-scores-reset-relay-cycling-excessfullymaybe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.