Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

There is one for sale locally here and I’m interested in seeing what pinsiders that have owned one say about the machine. I’m out of room but since I’m going to sell my Nitro Ground Shaker soon, I could see this pin fitting in nicely to my gameroom.

My first impressions of seeing videos and pictures are that is a nice looking game and although I like spinners, 3 seems like a bit much. No wrong answers for sure. Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

It’s a Bally classic. Love the feel and sound of ours. (And it was our first pin). So it’s not leaving the line up anytime soon

#3 4 years ago

I enjoy playing the one at our local arcade. I’d buy it if I was local and it was priced well.

#4 4 years ago

Good to know. It’s probably just a tad overpriced but that’s understandable and I’ll have a chance to check it out in person.

#5 4 years ago

I owned one for a while and enjoyed it very much. Honestly the only reason why I sold it was because it felt a little too modern after a while . It has standard size flippers and inlanes . I wanted an EM without inlanes and the smaller flippers because that is more appealing to me in an EM game . Hokus Pokus has more of an early solid state vibe to me and that can be both good and bad depending on what you are looking for in a game .

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I owned one for a while and enjoyed it very much. Honestly the only reason why I sold it was because it felt a little too modern after a while . It has standard size flippers and inlanes . I wanted an EM without inlanes and the smaller flippers because that is more appealing to me in an EM game . Hokus Pokus has more of an early solid state vibe to me and that can be both good and bad depending on what you are looking for in a game .

I got into pinball at age 13-14, right when the early SS games came out and I loved them. Especially Eight Ball and Mata Hari. I played lots of 70s EMs too but never appreciated them like I do now, some 45 years later.

To me they are really something special. I’ll never get rid of my Eight Ball but I’m definitely a late EM guy now.

Thanks for your description. I’m looking forward to checking it out.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I got into pinball at age 13-14, right when the early SS games came out and I loved them. Especially Eight Ball and Mata Hari. I played lots of 70s EMs too but never appreciated them like I do now, some 45 years later.
To me they are really something special. I’ll never get rid of my Eight Ball but I’m definitely a late EM guy now.
Thanks for your description. I’m looking forward to checking it out.

In my collection and love it. Only one of two EM’s among a bunch of SS’s. Wouldn’t part with it.

#8 4 years ago

A fun simple game.

If you "love" spinners then it is a game you should have. If you" like" spinners then maybe look for another title with more to it.

I did like my Aladdin's Castle much better though, so Hokus got sold first. My friend bought AC so I can still play it once in a great while.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

A fun simple game.
If you "love" spinners then it is a game you should have. If you" like" spinners then maybe look for another title with more to it.
I did like my Aladdin's Castle much better though, so Hokus got sold first. My friend bought AC so I can still play it once in a great while.

I like my Aladdin’s Castle as well. I’ve got 4 EMs and I really like them all. I’m looking to add a 5th and I’ll be set. I’m never getting rid of my Eight Ball but I really don’t want any other Early SS pins.

#10 4 years ago

I had a chance to get a Hokus Pokus a few years ago locally for $500, shoulda snagged it.

#11 4 years ago

Great game that's not leaving my game room anytime soon. Hearing the "Over The Top" buzzer when you roll it never gets old!

#13 4 years ago

I like this game alot, I need to add it to my wishlist. Also like Bow and Arrow. I currently have only 1 EM (Quick Draw), but eventually want to add or trade for a Hokus Pokus.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Here’s the listing.
louisville.craigslist.org link

Playfield is starting to take a beating around those cupped inserts.

#15 4 years ago

We like ours. The first one was kinda beat and was a project to get refurbed,but the gameplay made up for all the work, and the price was pretty good. We then found a second one that was much better preserved (glass, cabinet, and playfield), so we handed the original to our son. Our 2 were each less than half the price of the one you’re looking at, but that one looks to be ready to play, so... worth it in my logic. We find it to be a good challenge with the bonus, the key shots, and the multiplier. You play one game and go over the top, then the next game you struggle to break 30k

#16 4 years ago

It is a good game, but I wouldn't pay $750 for that one.

#17 4 years ago

Love the game. My only complaint is that the placement of the spinners hides the awesome artwork of the rabbits and birds.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

It is a good game, but I wouldn't pay $750 for that one.

Yeah, I was reluctant to pay that much either and especially before I sell my NGS.

Looks like someone did though. She’s a goner.

#19 4 years ago

Hokus Pokus was never on my pin wishlist, for whatever reason, never really took a fancy to the artwork or theme or gameplay. I don't hate it , just neutral to it.
If I had to choose, I would pick Aladdins Castle over Hokus Pokus.

#20 4 years ago

I hop to get to fixing me soon (before the end of 2020) having played #grand-prix-williams and #hot-tip ss and em versions and was told bally ruled spinners and seen many video on this game. I had be looking out for a 1st em and was thinking this would be a perfect game. It currently does nothing but light up dead otherwise. Game is good to look at but can't say much as to actual game play. Had been working on my dumpster saved #night-rider-bally but was making good progress but then somehow made it worse so i chose to walk away for awhile before i burned it in rage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hokus-pokus-opinions?hl=nikrox2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.