You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Hokus-Pokus-Work-02 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hello folks. Thanks for trying to help me. I recently purchased a Bally Hokus Pokus machine that has a couple of issues. I never see the light that says "Opens Gate when lit" come on and never see the gate open. Even when I manually hit the target in front of it many times which I'm assuming activates it. I also hear a mechanism down below in the lower cabinet working and rotating which I thought would be adding points to my score after the ball has finished. The lights come on on the playfield in a circular fashion as if they're giving me points but nothing happens points wise on the scoring.Everything else on this machine appears to work fine as far as I can tell.If anyone knows more about this machine and what I might be able to check I would sure appreciate the info. Many thanks in advance.

#2 5 years ago

Here's the manual section that talks about the gate and end-of-ball bonus. (Ignore the "Spinner Lites" section for now) After you've had a chance to look it over we can get into how to make those game features work.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 5 years ago

Thank you for helping. What I did was find the connector you mentioned for the gate target light and set it to Liberal. The gate is now working and the light is always lit. Now the only thing not working is the Bonus points not being added to my score after the ball goes out. The mechanism is working that makes all the noise in the bottom cabinet and the lights on the bonus points count down but no points are added to my score.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from StotzBotz:

Bonus points not being added to my score after the ball goes out. The mechanism is working that makes all the noise in the bottom cabinet and the lights on the bonus points count down but no points are added to my score.

If nothing is obviously wrong with these switches, diagnose with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#5 5 years ago

Forgive my ignorance but could you please go more in depth? I have no idea what to do here.

#7 5 years ago

Hi Stotzbotz, HowardR +
a lovely way to handle the Bonus-Countdown --- single bonus and double bonus. I had to mirror one part of the schematics to put the two parts together in my JPG.

StotzBotz - from Your description we know " The Score-Motor does turn while the Bonus is counted down. We also know that the Bonus-Score-Relay does pull (is actuated) at this time. If connecting wires are truely soldered-on (?) - switches truely close (or maybe the contact-points on the switch are oxidated) (?) we do not know.
See the JPG - good is "my rosa/pink stuff" - the stepping down of the bonus lights on the playfield because the Bonus-Unit-Reset-Coil is rhythmically made pulling (pull-in then let go). At exactly the same time there is another stepping (not functioning in Your pin) - rhythmically make pulling (pull-in then let go) along "my blue line (four times) , my brown line (one time)" synchronous stepping of Bonus-Unit-Reset-Coil and 1000-Point-Relay --- five times within the "turning of the Score-Motor turning half a revolution is 180 degrees". Everything "blue and brown" may be not working in Your pin. Greetings Rolf

0Hokus-Pokus-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Hokus-Pokus-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#8 5 years ago

Thank you guys for taking the time to try and help me. I did have some high quality contact cleaner and sprayed the contacts some on the scoring tumbler mechanism. After playing the game for awhile now I am beginning to see it score sometimes when it's activated. I think that I'll maybe either remove this unit and bench it cleaning the contacts with some light emery paper then blowing some compressed air. I know you folks frown on WD40 and contact cleaner so I don't want to try and take a shortcut. We'll see how things go after that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hokus-pokus-gate-not-closing-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.