(Topic ID: 34260)

Bally Hokus Pokus - Extra wires/Unused switches?

By JONESDS

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cutwires.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Working on a Hokus Pokus and noticed several unused wires and switches. Was this common on these games? Maybe, it's generic cams and some switches were not used on some games?

Here is an example where I have 4 cleanly cut wires. In the background, you can see two unused switches. Switches appear to never have been wired up and don't look like replacements.

cutwires.jpgcutwires.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Just following up on my post for anybody else with this game. Traded emails with another Hokus Pokus owner and they have extra, unused wires and switches in their game too, must be common on this game.

#3 11 years ago

Universal harness for a multitude of machines?

Probably those wires would be used in another model that has extra features utilizing those wires?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Probably those wires would be used in another model that has extra features utilizing those wires?

If other owners of this machine have the same thing with extra wires then I would assume they were for extra features for another machine that used the same harness as stated by Pin-it.

If you are 100% sure your machine is working 100% without them then no need to do anything except make a note of it for the next person that buys the machine from you.

Ken

1 week later
#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Also, when you order a machine you could specify things like 2 or 3 coin slots.

#6 11 years ago

I have an Old Chicago with the same extra wires. They were there for the 3rd (middle) coin chute which was optional when the game was purchased. Most 70's Bally machines do not use the middle coin slot so those wires were never used. On my Old Chicago there is also an open space on the right side of the mech panel where a relay would go between the 2nd coin chute and the credit relay marked 3rd coin chute. Since the 3rd coin chute was not used, that relay was never installed.

Tape or tie those extra wires out of the way since you won't need them and forget it.

#7 11 years ago

Just a visual clue, no evidence of any solder on the switches and the wires have not been stripped.

Unless your machine (and the other one) was built on a Monday, Friday, or at "beer:30" you should be ok.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

Unless your machine (and the other one) was built on a Monday, Friday, or at "beer:30" you should be ok.

I know this was the case on my Williams Gulfstream. I found an original light socket under the large relay bank under the Playfield that never had the original ground braid soldered to it as there no old solder to be found on the lamp bracket or braid, just the braid stapled tight over the lamp bracket which was just enough to light the lamp which may have been why it was missed.

My guess is the inspector was suffering from beer 30 from the night before.

Ken

#9 11 years ago

Ok, now I have to pull the glass and check mine out, lol...

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

Ok, now I have to pull the glass and check mine out, lol...

Its the 100 point rollover button lamp in the middle of the lower Playfield above the Flippers.

It would be funny if your Gulfstream was the same and they missed it as well.

Ken

#11 11 years ago

Nope, the folks at Williams were on the day they put mine together.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I know this was the case on my Williams Gulfstream. I found an original light socket under the large relay bank under the Playfield that never had the original ground braid soldered to it as there no old solder to be found on the lamp bracket or braid, just the braid stapled tight over the lamp bracket which was just enough to light the lamp which may have been why it was missed.

I spent about 4 hours tracking down a similar problem in a Skylab that was in a tournament at last year's MPE. It was an intermittent problem and it turned out that there was a wire that had never been soldered on. It was the bottom wire in a switch stack in the middle of the motor. That was quite an ordeal to find it.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I spent about 4 hours tracking down a similar problem in a Skylab that was in a tournament at last year's MPE. It was an intermittent problem and it turned out that there was a wire that had never been soldered on. It was the bottom wire in a switch stack in the middle of the motor. That was quite an ordeal to find it.

Wow Todd, that would be bad news to have happen on a tournament pin.

Just goes to show you that a good pair of eyes goes a long way with an EM.

Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hokus-pokus-extra-wiresunused-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.