• Latest reply 2 years ago by baldtwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

My Hi-Low Ace machine was working perfectly this past October. I covered it up and when I recently fired it up discovered that special feature sticks on when obtained. Sometimes stays locked on till the counter maxes out, sometimes just a few extra games. When the special feature sticks on, the score motor continue to rotate and the alternator relay keeps actuating/ switching the special lights back and forth. The special relay is free and moving easily. I checked the 4 switches that score on a special and they seem in proper position and working order. The game plays perfectly other than the sticking special scores.
The machine is in my shop which is heated with wood. I thought that perhaps some drying occurred and switches were in need of adjustment. To that end I tightened all the screw on the main score motored. I also check that all the Jonas plugs were in tight. No joy. Problem persists.
This machine was DOA when I got it a little over a year ago. With past help from this forum I was able get her back in shape and played hundreds of times.
I would be very grateful for any thoughts on where to looks to fix the current problem. Thanks in advance. Bill

#2 2 years ago

If the Reset motor doesn't run when the Coin relay is activated at game reset, check this switch on the Coin relay.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

once powered, the special relay keeps itself powered until score motor 8A switch opens.

make sure that switch is opening or the special relay will stay powered and keep the score motor running.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for responses!
The reset motor is working. If tripped, the relay spins the score motor reliably.
The special relay is staying locked on. Excuse my ignorance, but when you say" score motor 8A switch open", are you referring to the main score motor which has the cams numbered 1-12? If yes, I examined /messed with the stack numbered "8" with possibly some results. Hard to tell. I had a run of tripping a lit special switch of 9 times with things working perfectly. Then on the 10 sequence it ran credits continually till it maxed out at 23. I want to make certain that is the area I should be adjusting. If that is not the area of interest, can you focus me closer. There is another score motor that runs the cards and specials; high /low. Don't wish to make matters worse by fumbling with the wrong switches.
Thanks,
Bill

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

once powered, the special relay keeps itself powered until score motor 8A switch opens.

Quoted from jawsplow:

are you referring to the main score motor which has the cams numbered 1-12? If yes, I examined /messed with the stack numbered "8" with possibly some results

The switch that baldtwit is talking about is on the main score motor and has an Orange&Red wire on one terminal and a Yellow wire on the other.

#6 2 years ago

Bingo!! It was the switch with the orange & red and yellow wire. It is on the 6th score motor cam from the left and marked # 6 on the paper stabled in at the factory.
For my own edification, I would still like to better understand the nomenclature; "score motor 8A switch ".
Thanks to everyone who helped run my problem down.
Best Regards,
Bill/Jawsplow

#7 2 years ago

the cams are numbered from the motor end. The switches stacks use letters from the bottom up.

so 8A should be the bottom switch on the 8th cam from the motor end.

the 8A switch is at schem J10.

the manual or schematic doesn't have a score motor diagram on it ... at least not the ones on ipdb.org ... so you finding the switch on cam 6 is odd.

if you can post a picture, that'd be great. Otherwise I'll look in a game next time I'm at the pacific pinball museum warehouse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hi-low-ace-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.