Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jawsplow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I purchased a Bally Hi-Low Ace machine yesterday that had incredibly well preserved art work on the back glass and playing fields. That is were the adventure started; ball would not launch, ball counter not working. I cleaned/serviced the associated mechanisms and got the machine playing fairly well. Two hick-ups; the upper roll over switch for the "Ace" symbol gives me the points but does not turn light out on top and illuminate on the bottom of the field. Resultantly, I can never take the game to the next level. In addition the relay marked; "alternator" intermittently buzzes. I'm guessing the problems are related. I put the playing field up and zeroed a game/cleared the field. I then went to each of the playing card roll over/target playing field switches and tripped them manually. They all gave the points and went out/illuminated in lower playing field with the exception of the "Ace". It gives the points but does go out and transfer to lower part of playing field. Machine came with circuit diagram. Can anyone share their expertise and shed some light on what/where I should focus on to resolve these issues? Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Had this machine recently. 2 things. 1) alternator relays are usually toast because the are always turning on and off all game long. 2) in the back box, there is a step up rotating disk for lights and alternator activation. I dont have my documents in front of me at the moment. However, when you open the back box, lower right corner...make sure your contacts and fingers are clean. Read about gently cleaning and lightly lubing here on Pinside.

#3 3 years ago

And, for the low card count special there is a trip relay for that special. I think is called the Low Special Relay and then when you get all the high numbers, there is a High Trip Relay. These are how you get low and high specials.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for reply. When you say the "alternator relays are toast" does that mean buzzing is ok and won't affect operation of machine or they have to be replaced? I cleaned the 00-99 disc unit previously. It appears to be operating properly.

#5 3 years ago

The Alternator relay is probably OK. Normal operation is for it to be pulling in 1/2 the time during game play.

#6 3 years ago

The only other switch in the ace relay circuit is a normally closed switch on the ace relay switch stack.

#7 3 years ago

Fixed it! The problem was one of the internal wire connectors located in the lower back of the machine. It was corroded and loose. Cleaned it and had to reshape some of the electrical connector clamps to get to bite hold(glad this type of connector is not used in aircraft) and Bingo everything works. Thanks for everyone's help!!

#8 3 years ago

BTW, alternator relay buzz went away as well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Lighting - Interactive
TheDudeMods
Interactive
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hi-low-ace-1?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.