reset bank Hi Lo Ace (resized).jpg
leg level (resized).jpg
coil lug 1 (resized).jpg
00-90 gear (resized).jpg
bonus lug (resized).jpg
0Monte-Carlo-Work-2 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

from Operation manual page 6, Card Lites Feature,
During game play lighting the Ace-King-Queen-Jack-Ten-Nine-Eight will light the left or right lanes alternately. They will also light the three targets in the middle of the playfield with the left and right targets lighting alternately. This is also the result with the Ace-2-3-4-5-6-7 cards inclusive lit as well. All of the above alternating is thru the alternating relay which operates thru the 00-90 unit disk.

Problem #1 Currently the special three targets are lit and will count 5000 points when the correct sequence of cards are lit. The right side special targets will count the 5000 points ( high and low lanes) but only the high lane will light. I have checked the low bulb and holder.

Problem #2 Is the left and right side targets will not alternate. I am unsure of where the alternating relay is and what on the playing field triggers the change to left and right special targets.

I meant to get the schematic but never did...<sigh> thanks WilbeEM

#2 7 years ago

Hi
Don't have that pin, but would suspect a wiper on the alternating relay as the cause of only half the lights lighting. problem#1
not sure where the relay lives, problem#2, but if you start a game, rack up a bunch of points, so that it should start alternating, then manually close a relay you suspect may be it, and you shud see the lights change.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks Doc'O'Style, that's pretty much has been my process so far. Solution seems like it should be jumping out at me, and I think I've actually seen it happen once... maybe..., but just can't make it happen again, thus my cry for help.

#4 7 years ago

Hi willbeEM
Bally sometimes uses an asymmetrical Score-Motor-Cam - example Monte Carlo, see http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1621 , schematics at B14/B15 and A,B-32,33. The switch stack at cam 12 does alternate the lights and does alternate the "action" as "one turn of Score-Motor" is half of a revolution is turning 180 degrees. Your pin ?

Did You do the test that Dr_of_Style suggested ? Every relay in the pin is mounted for some reason - lets find out.
DANGER - Bally has 6VAC, 50 VAC, 110VAC in the pin --- NEVER TOUCH solder-lugs. A good idea is: Press the armature / anchor-plate of a relay with a wooden stick or wear rubber gloves (insulation).

Do not only think of buying a schematics - looking-up is much better then "wild guessing", greetings Rolf

0Monte-Carlo-Work-2 (resized).jpg0Monte-Carlo-Work-2 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Thanks Rolf, I agree. It was an oversight on my part not ordering them earlier and has come around to frustrate me now

#6 7 years ago

Greetings
Thanks for the helpful suggestions Gents.
Rolf, I did some research and found the Bally Game 'Fore' is much the same as my hi-Lo Aces so I am using that schematic a general reference until I get the true schematic.
I have found the alternation relay, the nomenclature had been erased and I did a trial and error search to determine is was the one. I believed I was looking for a locking relay, not the case.
My problem I believe is a replaced coil lug in the 00-90 unit. The notched lug has enough slack and travel to cause the 00-90 unit to advance two gears causing the 00-90 finger to travel two positions therefore always returning the bonus to the same side.
I don't have another Bally to compare but can see the credit unit gear drive pin is inserted into the lug.
I have attached a picture of the 00-90 notched lug and the credit unit drilled hole lug. If anyone can put up a picture of another i'd appreciate it.

bonus lug (resized).jpgbonus lug (resized).jpg

00-90 gear (resized).jpg00-90 gear (resized).jpg

coil lug 1 (resized).jpgcoil lug 1 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

That is the wrong plunger on that 2nd pic. it shud look like the one in the first pic.
order one from PBR. you will never get right till you do.

#8 7 years ago

awesome doc, that's what I thought and that's what I'll do. Thanks for the confirmation.

Will_be_EM

#9 7 years ago

Just wanted to wrap up what I started here, I've ordered a replacement plunger / collar from pbresource along with a few coils that appear to be past their prime as well as the schematic.

What I did in the meantime is adjusted the 00-90 match unit step up arm bracket ever so slightly by loosening the two Phillips screws ( you can see beside the spring in previous post) and the screws slid down to the bottom of the slots, now the unit only moves one gear tooth at a time allowing the bonus to alternate. Once I got that straightened out I found that both of the low card bonus lights were not lighting. On the right side it was a blown bulb, which after the holder was clean and bulb replaced lite up. On the left side i tested the bulb and it was blown too. Checking the voltage in the holder I got almost 30 volts! huh? So without a schematic handy. (I have the 'Fore' game schematic , which was very helpful at figuring out how the bonus alternator in a 'well if that works here then....this must go here' kind of way) I began to manually follow the wire and found that the 'low card bonus reset relay stack had a shorted connection'. Fixed that and while I was mucking around in there I discovered the Hi card bonus reset stack clear plastic seven slot radial bottom switch actuator bally part number C-709 (unavailable from pbresource...sigh) base had broken off. So what to do? Found a 7/16 rubber vacuum hose, cut enough off to cover the width of the actuator, slit the hose and slipped it over the busted end...well lord thunderin it worked....for now. Found one on flippers, part is cheap enough but shipping is ridiculous. If someone wants to pick one up local and bring to toronto...
The other thing that was needing adjustment was the 100,000 point light relay which didn't work during game play. It resides on the last position of the 17 trip relays reset motor assembly. It appeared the plastic cams where they interlock and drive each other are slightly degrading, so that by the time the bakelite plate hit the notch and stopped the motor the 100,000 point cam didn't make it to its release point. Two set screws held the bakelight collar in place, loosen them up, backed up the plate a fraction and tightened them up.
Now the game seems to work 100%. Thanks again for all the help!
Just for fun see the picture of the bolt? That's a leg from a old washing machine I found at the dump. Perfect fit for leg levelers and box hold downs..

leg level (resized).jpgleg level (resized).jpg

reset bank Hi Lo Ace (resized).jpgreset bank Hi Lo Ace (resized).jpg

set screws (resized).jpgset screws (resized).jpg

hoser (resized).jpghoser (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

I repaired the broken switch actuator by making a plasticine mold of a complete part and filled void with fiberglass resin. Worked great. Even made a spare.

sw03 (resized).jpgsw03 (resized).jpg

sw02 (resized).jpgsw02 (resized).jpg

sw01 (resized).jpgsw01 (resized).jpg

sw04 (resized).jpgsw04 (resized).jpg

sw05 (resized).jpgsw05 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Great job on the resin parts!

#12 7 years ago

Thanks Dr_of_Style, it was one of those eureka moments. Funny though I've not come across it being done in these threads before.

#13 7 years ago

The 00-90 unit plunger has been replaced with the correct size and type and what a game play difference! The left -right special feature alternates very fast with no hesitation. When working correctly this is a very fun game. I've set the bonus special to 5000 points only as the add-a-ball feature makes for some very long games and ridiculously high scores.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hi-lo-aces-special-targets-not-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.