game interlock relay issues (resized).jpg
0090U2 (resized).JPG
0090U1 (resized).JPG
BCUSS (resized).JPG
BCU2 (resized).JPG
BCU1 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Hi all,
Need a little help with my Bally Hi Lo Ace. I recently had to repair the hundreds scorring reel from sticking and also cleaned the contacts on the ball count unit since the lights were sporadic. Now all is working fine, however, I have encountered a new problem(s). When the last ball drains it says Game Over; I hit replay button to start a new game the follwoing happens frequently:
-when new game starts, shows ball 5, but then skips to ball 4; sounds like the kicker is buzzing or taking longer than normal when it skips to ball 4
-game replay after ball drains results in repeated game over
-game replay after ball drains goes to ball 2, then skips to ball 1
Repeated game replay results in one of the above or will sometimes start at ball 5 Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 3 years ago

When the ball-in-play skipping happens, does the player also get a score, such as 10 points or 100 points? If so, you probably have a stuck switch on the playfield somewhere.

If you hear the loud buzzing and the score is not changing, try tilting the machine or turning it off. If one of the score units advances to the next number when you tilt or shut off power, then you have a stuck scoring switch. The most common stuck PF switch is usually one of the stand-up rebound switch blades located behind a rubber ring.

- TimMe

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TimT1:

When the last ball drains it says Game Over; I hit replay button to start a new game the follwoing happens frequently:
-when new game starts, shows ball 5, but then skips to ball 4; sounds like the kicker is buzzing or taking longer than normal when it skips to ball 4

So, this is only for replay? The first game always plays correctly?

#4 3 years ago

Thanks curriedog and TimMe for your responses. This occurs even when the machine is turned on and replay button is pressed to start a new game, resulting in one of the above scenarios. There are no points scored, as all of the reels reset to zero. The ball kicker ejects the ball to the plunger. The buzzing noise "sounds" like the switch for the ball kicker is stuck just for a second longer after the ball is ejected. During this this time is when the ball in play skips from 5 to 4, or 2 to 1 if it only resets the new game to the next to the last ball. The buzzing stops after the extra second of the ball ejecetion. This may be relevant, or maybe not, while cleaning the playfield, I had the cover over the kicker and trough removed and noticed the kicker was loose and missing 2 screws. I did replace the missing screws and snugged the kicker back up.

#5 3 years ago

Well, there are a lot of things going on with the ball count set-up on this game, so I suggest that you do a few basic tests (if you haven't done them already) to help narrow down the possible source of the issue you are having.

First, have you operated the ball count step-up arm by hand, and confirmed that it is reliably and smoothly stepping up exactly one tooth each time you operate the lever? Similarly, have you operated the ball count reset arm by hand, and confirmed that it is reliably and smoothly stepping down exactly one tooth each time you operate the lever? You should be able to manually step your ball count unit all the way up to 9, and all the way back down to 1, several times without it ever sticking or skipping. If your ball count unit won't do this when you operate it by hand, then you have a mechanical issue with the ball count unit.

If the above manual test of the ball count unit passes, the next thing to do is check the zero position switches on the ball count unit. This is a switch stack with a make-break switch, as well as at least one other switch that closes only when the ball count unit is at the zero position. Have you manually stepped your ball count unit down to the zero position, and then up from the zero position, and watched the action of these zero position switches? Have you confirmed these switches are transferring state reliably when the ball count unit moves into and out of the zero position?

If the above two tests pass, then the next thing to do is check the game relay. This is a latch-trip relay that controls the reset and also the set-up of the ball count unit at the start of each new game. Have you operated this relay by hand, latching it and tripping it, and confirmed that it is operating smoothly and reliably? Have you checked the switches on this relay, and confirmed they are clean and adjusted so that they make good contact and also open properly, depending on whether the relay is in the latched or tripped state? If the game relay looks good when you operate it by hand, have you watched it while you start a new game several times, with the machine powered up, to see if the game relay ever sticks when it tries to latch or trip electrically?

If all of the above items check out OK, then there is some other problem causing your ball count issue.

- TimMe

#6 3 years ago

Thanks Tim for the response. I will try and check these items this evening or the next and report back. Much appreciated!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TimT1:

This may be relevant, or maybe not, while cleaning the playfield, I had the cover over the kicker and trough removed and noticed the kicker was loose and missing 2 screws. I did replace the missing screws and snugged the kicker back up.

You're welcome. One other thought - a good rule of thumb when an issue appears just after you work on a game is to go back and look at what you just did, and confirm that all is well. For example, if you remove the screws you installed to secure the kicker, and let the kicker be loose again, do any of the new problems go away? If so, then you can look for a short, or a pinched wire or something, that may have occurred when you snugged down the ball kicker. If all of the same problems are still there, then at least it will help you to eliminate your recent repair work as a likely cause of new problems.

- TimMe

#8 3 years ago

All of the items you mentioned appear to work properly with the exception of the Ball Index latch switch. It sporadically sticks in the closed position resulting in a constant buzzing but allowing all the balls to play until the end. When the replay button is pushed and this switch is buzzing/stuck is when the ball count results in not resetting properly (ie., repeated 1 to Game Over, 2 to 1, etc). When the switch is open and all the balls drain, when the game replay button is pushed, the ball count always starts on 5. How do I stop this dwitch from sticking? I have cleaned the contacts. Or is is something else causing the switch to stick?
Thanks!

#9 3 years ago

OK, you are calling these items switches, but I believe you are actually talking about relays (not switches). If you really are talking about a switch and not a relay, please let me know.

It's great that you've noticed that the ball index relay is pulling in sometimes, and that is causing the ball in play problem. That's very good troubleshooting information, and we should focus on that. The ball index relay is supposed to drop out at the start of each new ball in play, and it also supposed to pull in (and stay locked on) as soon as any score is made (10, 100, or 1000).

This brings us back to the issue of a possible stuck playfield switch that I was talking about in post #2. You may have a PF switch that is gapped very close, and is intermittently making contact. The next time you see the ball index relay pull in and cause the problem, turn off the machine and see if any of the score reels advance by one. If so, you have a stuck playfield switch. If not, then the problem may be elsewhere.

- TimMe

#10 3 years ago

I thought these were called latch switches, located in the bottom of the cabinet, sorry for the confusion. Anywho, the Ball Index relay is functioning just as you described above. No advancement of scoring reels when tilted or turned off. I checked all of the playfield switches (I think) visually and using a toothpick to see if anything was stuck. I didnt see any that were abnormally close. However, I will have to take the covers off of the stand up rebounders to look closer at the blades tomorrow. I also checked the ball kicker again by loosening it somewhat and gently budging it around--didnt see or hear anything and it functioned properly. I also removed and cleaned the plungers in the Ball Count Unit in the head--they were a littly gummy, but still the same result. It appears after the last ball drains and I push replay, I typically have to push it 3, 4, 5 times as it will repeatedly show Ball 1 (or last ball) and then immediatly go to game over. After 3-5 times of this, it will go to Ball 5, eject it, and then skip to Ball 4. Not sure if it matters but here are a couple questions and observations:
(1) I used to be able to hit the replay switch while the ball was active in the playfield and it would reset mid-game; it no longer does this. Could this be the issue; in the replay switch contacts?
(2) In checking the plunger in the 00-90 Unit in the head and advancing it, does it need to be put back into a certain position
(3) The blades under the hole that activate the ball kicker are somewhat "wavy" as they look like they have been touched over the years, but appear to function properly and do not "appear" to be too close. Any concern here?
Sorry to drag this out, but I am a novice with a capital N. Let me know if you need any pctures of anything as we work through this process.
Thnx

#11 3 years ago

Yes, pics would be a big help at this point. Please post pics of the following:

Game relay

Ball index relay

Ball count unit - zero position switch stack

Thanks! - TimMe

#12 3 years ago

Here are the requested pics and others for your review and ccomments. It also appears if I unstick the Ball Index Relay and then trigger all of the point targets, rolls, bumpers, etc one by one; some times the BIR will not stick at all; I'll then trigger the ball drain to end the game and it resets to a new game just fine. I can go back and repeat this process and any points, no specific one, will cause it to stick and then I'll trip the ball drain and the BIR will stay energized (stuck); sometime, the ball drain will de-energize the relay until points are scored. Is it possible the relay and/or spring needs repaired/cleaned/adjusted?

0090U1 (resized).JPG0090U1 (resized).JPG0090U2 (resized).JPG0090U2 (resized).JPGBCU1 (resized).JPGBCU1 (resized).JPGBCU2 (resized).JPGBCU2 (resized).JPGBCUSS (resized).JPGBCUSS (resized).JPGBall Index Unit (resized).JPGBall Index Unit (resized).JPGCredit Relay (resized).JPGCredit Relay (resized).JPGDoor (resized).JPGDoor (resized).JPGGame Interlock Relay (resized).JPGGame Interlock Relay (resized).JPGLock Relay (resized).JPGLock Relay (resized).JPGOuthole (resized).JPGOuthole (resized).JPGP1 (resized).JPGP1 (resized).JPGReset (resized).JPGReset (resized).JPG
#13 3 years ago

Thanks for the pics, they are very helpful. After looking at these, I have two suggestions:

1. On the ball count unit, the adjustment of the zero position switches look pretty good; however, I am wondering if the make-break switch is making good contact with the open switch blade when the ball count unit is stepped up one tooth from the zero position. Right now, the switch gap looks very large to me, so it would probably be good to check the action of that switch, and confirm all is well.

2. The Game Interlock Relay appears to be out of adjustment. It looks like this relay is "kind of" latched, but unfortunately the latch positioning of the two armatures looks wrong. Also, it looks like there are switches on the relay that are out of adjustment. Here is a picture with pointers to the issues I'm talking about:

game interlock relay issues (resized).jpggame interlock relay issues (resized).jpg

The red arrow points to the place where the relay armature latching occurs. The vertical plate should either be totally engaged in the plastic hook that it is touching, or totally dis-engaged from it. Your vertical plate is resting right on the edge of the plastic hook, and that is no good. Check to see if you can fully latch the relay by hand, by pushing the horizontal armature tighter against the coil. If the vertical plate won't latch fully, you'll need to adjust the relay so that the vertical plate lands fully in the hook when the relay is latched, and also so that the vertical plate is totally off of the plastic hook when the relay is released.

The two yellow arrows point to where you have two switches out of adjustment. When I look at the other switches on this relay, they show that the relay is in the latched position. In this position, the two switches with the yellow arrows need to be open, but they are still closed. Note that this may be happening because the relay isn't fully latched (the vertical plate isn't fully in the plastic hook) but in any case, once you fix up the adjustment of the relay latch, you'll need to check the switches on this relay and adjust them as needed so that they make and break properly, depending on whether the relay is latched or tripped.

- TimMe

#14 3 years ago

How does one make adjustment to the verticle latch plate so it is on/off the plastic hook properly? Is it the screw, cleaning, spring tension? What is the best way to adjust the switch blades? I do notice when the coil is not buzzing for the ball index and the last ball drains and I hit replay it works perfectly. However, if it is buzzing when the last ball drains and I hit the replay button it does not work properly. I also noticed somethimes the coil for the ball index remains buzzing after the ball drains and the next ball is ejected. Is this still a stuck playfield switch or am issue with the improperly ltaching of the GIR? Thanks for the eagle eye and the wealth of knowledge!

#15 3 years ago

To adjust the latching of the GIR, you loosen the two adjustment screws holding the trip coil frame, and slide the entire frame around until the latch plates line up properly. Then you re-tighten the two screws. The green arrows in this pic point to the location of the two adjustment screws (note that the screw heads are barely visible in the pic):

GIR adjustment (resized).jpgGIR adjustment (resized).jpg

The latch adjustment takes a bit of time to dial in properly, because you need to position the vertical latch plate so that it holds the main relay armature all the way against the main coil when it is engaged in the plastic hook, but with just a TINY bit of wiggle room so that the vertical plate can be pulled in by the trip coil without binding.

When the vertical plate is pulled all the way in by the trip coil, the top edge of the vertical plate needs to be positioned such that it has slid totally off the plastic hook, and has allowed the main relay armature to drop all the way open. So you should expect to go through some trial-and-error repetition before you get the latch adjustment to a good place.

The latch adjustment must be done first. After you've got the latch adjustment dialed in, and the mechanical latching action of the GIR is working smoothly, then you can adjust the switches on the relay so that they actuate properly.

The ball index relay is a separate issue. From your description, it sounds like there may be a problem with the operation of the ball index relay. However, you need to get the GIR dialed in first, before doing any other troubleshooting.

- TimMe

#16 3 years ago

I forgot to mention that the adjustment of the switch blades is done by just lightly bending the blades themselves. The amount of bending needed to adjust switch blades is actually very small, so when you first start to try doing this type of adjustment, it's better to use a very light touch. The good news is that if you over-do it, you can bend the blades back the other way. The bad news is that if you REALLY over-do it, you can mess up the blades big time. So the important thing is to go slow, and don't use too much force.

The best place to apply bending pressure on a switch blade is next to the phenolic switch stack. If you have very small needle-nose pliers, you can use that to do the switch blade adjustment. However, most standard needle-nose pliers are too large for this work, so another thing you can use is a very small flat-blade screwdriver, pressing it lightly against one side or the other of the blade next to the switch stack to adjust it.

- TimMe

#17 3 years ago

It appears I have the GIR latch adjustment as you described. It took several tries. Before adjustment, the latch plate was actually catching on the edge of the rivet. I did not know there was adjusting allowed by the screws. Just assumed they were to hold the relay in place. Adjusted the blades on the GIR as you described. Now when I turned it on hit replay, the GIR seems to functioning properly and not catching. Now the replay function only resets to Ball 1. Ugh! I can trigger targets and bumpers and get points. BIR is energized. Trigger the ball kicker to end the game (from Ball 1); BIR is de-energized; Game Over. Push replay--back to Ball 1. I do notice when the BIR is energized, it is the set of blades closest to the Outhole relay side. I touch those with a wooden dowel and the relay releases. Thanks for the tips on adjusting the blades. I look forward to your next response. Just an FYI, my dad purchased this machine from a guy who repaired machines for this vending machine company in a small town in WV. My dad purchased it for $100 for my brother in 1986 (at that time this guy had a whole shop full of machines he was selling, probably 16-20. Wish he/we would have bought them all! Hind sight). and over the years lost interest and it sat at my Moms house until 2 years ago. My brother gave it to me 2 years ago. Love playing it!

#18 3 years ago

Sounds like you made good progress. Just curious, did you check the zero-position switch operation on the ball count unit, and confirm that all the switch blades are transferring correctly?

I grew up in Chicago, and lived in Carbondale IL in the 1970s and early 1980s. That's where I was a tech for an operator, Merri-Mac Vending, who had a lot of games and vending machines out on location. We had a couple Hi-Lo Ace games on location when I worked there.

- TimMe

#19 3 years ago

The attached pics in the post with the exception of the BCU, machine is off. You will see the GIR hopefully adjusted correctly. Afterwards reading your last response and adjusting the GIR, I checked and adjusted some bent blades on the Ball Index, Outhole, Reset, Lock and Credit Relays. There most be some tight tolerances when it comes to spacing becuase now I have it all jacked up. As mentioned before, still wont reset beyond Ball 1. Turn it on now, replay button does not work; manually trip credit relay to get playfied active; points work, BIR and Lock Relays energized; I trip the kicker switch, a spark appears on Outhole Relay; touch 1-2 bumpers; get points; goes to game over; BIR de-energized; lock relay still energized. Still in game over mode, trip reset relay, score reels reset to zero; trip outhole relay (again I'm using a wooden popsicle stick to touch and trip things gently) I can hear the outhole switch work but I have to apply and hold a little more pressure to here the kicker work (probably some of my blade adjusting). I trip coin or credit relays, now I'm back to the beginning of this mess. My apologies. I thought I could just straighten some switch blades on the relays I mentioned earlier. Guess not. I have attached pictures for your review to help me correct this mess. Let me know if you need to see anything else. It looks like I need to find the schematic for this game and invest in a multimeter. If needed and you are willing, I'd be happy work with you life via Facetime or some other app. Thanks.

BCU 0State (resized).jpgBCU 0State (resized).jpgBCU OH Reset (resized).jpgBCU OH Reset (resized).jpgGIR adj1 (resized).jpgGIR adj1 (resized).jpgKicker switch (resized).jpgKicker switch (resized).jpgReset Lock Credit (resized).jpgReset Lock Credit (resized).jpgcoin chutes (resized).jpgcoin chutes (resized).jpg
#20 3 years ago

Don't despair, it's all part of the learning process. Fixing an EM pingame is not trivial. We can still try working through the issues via the Pinside forum, if you are up for it. I don't do private long-distance repair advice.

Your pictures can be very helpful, but I need to see very specific pics of very specific things as we go. So, could you please post the following:

1. A picture of the zero position switches on the ball count unit when the ball count unit is set to ball 2 (not ball 1).

2. A picture of the GIR when it is tripped. You picture needs to be a bit closer than the one you just posted, that one is too small to see any details.

3. A picture of the GIR when it is latched.

Thanks! - TimMe

#21 3 years ago

Thanks so much! Try these pics.

gir11 (resized).jpggir11 (resized).jpggir12 (resized).jpggir12 (resized).jpgzeropos (resized).jpgzeropos (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hi-lo-ace-help-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.