You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally Hi Lo Ace.pdf (PDF preview)
ballcountswitch (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all,

My Hi-Lo Ace has started kicking out an extra ball after the game ends. The "game over" light comes on. If you launch the ball, it will just clink down the playfield - everything is de-energized and the flippers do not work. The ball counter works correctly and the game has no other problems.

I am new to EM's and know just enough to be dangerous, and smart enough to know I don't want to do anything without asking.

Thank in advance to anyone who can help me sort this out. I want to learn how to fix this and gain confidence in my EM troubleshooting skills.

#2 4 years ago

Check the ball count unit to make sure it rotates smoothly and clicks into each position. With the power off, manually rotate the ball count unit by pushing the advance solenoid plunger. You can also clean the rotating contact switches and the contact rivets on the ball count unit. At the end of the game, check to see if the switch contacts and rivet contacts line up correctly.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I've done everything you suggested - plunger steps everything on the count unit down and the final position is always on the first contact point on the side of the wheel.

Attached is a picture for the positions of the leafs on the switch on the backside of the ball count unit. I notice there is some rust on the leafs and the bottom one seems to have some mis-alignment; could those things be the problem? If so, what is the best way to clean it? I do have a set of small files if I need those.

Thanks in advance.

ballcountswitch (resized).jpegballcountswitch (resized).jpeg
#4 3 years ago

For cleaning switch contacts, you should use a Flexstone type file or a paper type finger nail file. Clean the contacts just enough to remove most of the carbon. Also clean the contacts on the rotating switch blades and the contact rivets. Here's a section about care and maintenance for stepper units at Clay's Pin Repair Web site:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

#5 3 years ago

Thanks fredsmythson, I've cleaned all the contacts. No change in behavior. Where would I be able to find out the required contact position of each leaf before and during the final ball? I'm hunting for a schematic.

#6 3 years ago

I am guessing, this being a Bally, that it's combo of Outhole relay and some score motor sw.

Bally Hi Lo Ace.pdfBally Hi Lo Ace.pdf
#7 3 years ago

Thank you currieddog for the schematic! I will do some hunting over the next week and be sure to give follow-up (either in the form of more questions or the solution.)

I appreciate both of you with your help for this new guy.

#8 3 years ago

Check the "gateway" switches that send power to the outhole solenoid:

Score motor switch 7B - black/yellow wire and red/black wire
Game relay switch - black/yellow wire and red/black wire

#9 3 years ago

Problem fixed! Turned out it was the game relay switch. Fixed the gap and all was well.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hi-lo-ace-1973-extra-ball-kicks-out-after-game-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.