Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Geofflove
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

After (resized).jpg
    Before (resized).jpg
    FB87BEE9-CDFD-4601-9976-763B3342D3C3 (resized).jpeg
    CDF9F12D-7BB8-4ACC-9AFA-FCC0A08E17D0 (resized).jpeg
    F2B48F6E-2323-4303-9DC9-4AC42747C496 (resized).jpeg
    CB080309-713E-4A5C-924C-E7EFE10CF224 (resized).jpeg
    8C27999C-4433-4A6E-85D7-FB092483B5F4 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

So I’ve picked up a Bally hi deal in the uk. All complete but been in an (apparently damp) shed for years. I’m just trying to decide whether it’s realistically saveable or not. A quick look over and these appear to be the key issues:

All the steppers are rusty. The actual contact side looks ok on the but the units aren’t moving currently and will obviously need a complete strip and clean. Doable given the photos? The same is true of the bonus stepper under the playfield. The backglass is excellent but can currently get it out as the sliding bars at the top that release it won’t slide!

The score reels do move but are stiff. I suspect this will be a fairly easy job to free them off. However the numbers are worn away on most so I’ll need to do something about that.

Underneath the playfield things look a little better, with just the bonus stepper needing attention so far as I can tell from a quick look.

The playfield has wear but will be ok with a clean. However, the biggest issue here is a can shift any of the screws holding the plastics. I’m guessing they have corroded into the playfield and just won’t shift. What’s the best way of shifting these. I’m feeling that drilling and filling will be a LOT of work. Thoughts?

I guess I should say I’m in the UK. What difference does that make. Well it seems these things are far rarer here than in the USA. parts are much more difficult/expensive to come by.

Comments and ideas please? Thanks

8C27999C-4433-4A6E-85D7-FB092483B5F4 (resized).jpeg8C27999C-4433-4A6E-85D7-FB092483B5F4 (resized).jpegCB080309-713E-4A5C-924C-E7EFE10CF224 (resized).jpegCB080309-713E-4A5C-924C-E7EFE10CF224 (resized).jpegCDF9F12D-7BB8-4ACC-9AFA-FCC0A08E17D0 (resized).jpegCDF9F12D-7BB8-4ACC-9AFA-FCC0A08E17D0 (resized).jpegF2B48F6E-2323-4303-9DC9-4AC42747C496 (resized).jpegF2B48F6E-2323-4303-9DC9-4AC42747C496 (resized).jpegFB87BEE9-CDFD-4601-9976-763B3342D3C3 (resized).jpegFB87BEE9-CDFD-4601-9976-763B3342D3C3 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

I would say not worth investing all that time in it. It would have a low value anyway.

#3 3 years ago

I've seen people save games in much worse condition. Have you used evapo-rust? Do you have a parts tumbler? I would save it. Focus on one area at a time.

#4 3 years ago

Looks like all those springs are shot. The plunger on that coil is destroyed also. If all the mechs are rusted like this you are going to have a huge project that is probably not worth the time dumped into it. You could keep it as a parts game for other machines though. Just my opinion and I usually try to save everything.

#5 3 years ago

I would love to have it and fix it. But I enjoy the quest of em repair. Don't start unless you are committed to see it through. Better to sell to someone who will fix it rather than part it out.

#6 3 years ago

That is a shipwreck, and not a very good playing title to begin with.
    Not worth your time..move on.

#7 3 years ago

Looks a bit overwhelming but I love my Hi-Deal.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I would love to have it and fix it. But I enjoy the quest of em repair.

I agree with @phil-lee. For some it's more about the journey than the end result. This game will no doubt be a lot of work and possibly a lot of money which is more than some will want to commit. But it's also an opportunity for someone to learn a ton as they go through every bit of it, and to revel in their own accomplishments. It's all good.

/Mark

#9 3 years ago

Interesting mix of comments. I totally get the variation in the mix of goals for people. Some want to get it fixed up to perfection with the minimum of effort while for others it more about enjoying the challenge and journey.
    I actually thought I'd have a go this morning to see how bad it actually was. Anyway I spent an hour stripping, cleaning and reassembling the 0-9 stepper and ball count stepper. Actually took a lost less effort to get them free and moving than I feared. I wasn't concerned about making the bodies look like new - just so long as the mech was clean, functioning a likely to remain for a good while. Not plugged it in yet but these 2 units are now functioning perfectly when manually triggered. I'm going to sort the credit stepper next and then the score reels which I'll need to get some new decals to attach over the top I think. They are actullay moving when triggers but need to be stripped and cleaned to for me to have confidence in their reliability.
    As mentioned the inside of the main cab looks much cleaner thankfully.
    The main 'unknown' work I think is going to be getting the 20 odd screws out of the playfield.
    I'm not going to create a showroom example form it but hopefully will get it working and playing well. So I'm ON for the challenge! Of course I may be back here soon screaming in frustration at an as yet undiscovered problem.
    I'm guessing that the 'bar' at which the line is drawn maybe different in the UK to the US. Looking at posts it appears EM games a readily available fairly cheaply. Therefore there's more choice in what you choose to put your time and effort into. In the UK there they just aren't that readily available and even what might be considered to be slightly uninspiring games needing TLC usually go for around equivalent $1000. I'd love to be in the US when it comes to pinball!

#10 3 years ago

I say go for it and pick up some skills that might save that pin you just can't pass up, no matter what the condition. Mine was left outside for a period in Norwich. Other than clear coating the timber finished parts, I've only cleaned the playfield awaiting touching up the worn areas (see before/after pics). My plastics and mechanical parts were the same as yours - plastics look new now but had to replace some heavily rusted parts.....It's mostly time.
    Before (resized).jpgBefore (resized).jpgAfter (resized).jpgAfter (resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

It's a tough call, because as you say, these games are much harder to come by where you are than here in the U.S. If you were a U.S. poster, I'd say the game is probably not worth saving. Your chances of finding a decent one here are fairly good. But since you're in the U.K., it's not likely you would come across another one of these.
    I think it's a very good playing machine, and great looking as well. I'm primarily a Gottlieb fan, but I really like this one. You can win replays and free balls simultaneously on this game.
    I guess you have to answer several questions for yourself. How much spare time do you have? What is your confidence/skill level? Is it adequate to see you through this project to completion? It's a major undertaking, and you'll never recoup the time and effort you'll invest in restoring the game, but as with many restorations, it's mostly a labor of love. Please let us know what you decide to do, and we would be looking forward to seeing you progress if you decide to take on the restoration.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks. I’m going to go for it. Very much fro. The point of view of making a playable game out of it rather than a showroom example. I’ll keep you posted!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hi-deal-too-far-gone?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.