(Topic ID: 320874)

Bally Hi-Deal Coin Door causing power shortage?

By splattii

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Sea_Wolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

I've been working on a Hi-Deal and I've got it playing for the most part, but I'm still having issues with one of the reels sticking when resetting. While playing around with the reel something went wrong and now the playfield is dead (no lights when plugged in/turned on). I haven't been able to figure out what went wrong, so I swapped out all the fuses. After that I replaced all of the fuse holders, still nothing. Weird as it was working fine and now I can't get any power

I'm not sure how or why I did this, but while I had it plugged in trying to see what was going on, the coin door ended up getting swung open and upon doing so the game lit up. Once the door stopped swinging the lights went back out, but I've got it to the point where the game works depending on the position of the coin door. It's it's roughly 90 degree vs the front of the machine it works, otherwise no power. I've spent the last 3 days trying to figure out wtf is loose on the door but I can't figure it out. While the game is lit I use a screwdriver to move all the wires around (thinking loose/faulty wire) but nothing goes wrong. I play with the coin switches, it adds credits. I try jiggling the lights, nothing.... yet the second I move the door something becomes loose or changes and power goes out or starts to flicker. I know this must be something generic but I'm lost. It's acting exactly like a loose wire but I've run out of wires to move around at this point. Is there anything inside of the coin mechanisms that can be causing this?

#2 3 months ago
Quoted from splattii:

but I can't figure it out.

Coin door shorting to something when closed, inside the frame or front lower part of the playfield ?

Wiring in door harness shorted internally where you can't see it, or wire bundle pushing wiring on coin door and moving something to a short ?

LTG : )

#3 3 months ago

thanks for the response. I'll take another look with your ideas in mind and hope it helps.

#4 3 months ago

Could be the front door slam switch.

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Could be the front door slam switch.

I just a similar issue come up with my Jumping Jack and it was the front door slam switch opening just ever so slightly with any abnormal vibration. Closed the switch and problem solved. Only difference was that although the playfield went dead, the playfield lights did not go off as the OP mentioned but maybe that’s a Bally vs Gottlieb thing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 37.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!