(Topic ID: 128600)

Bally Heavy Metal Meltdown plastic ramp (remake vacuum forming)

By cfh

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image-672.jpg
image.jpg
image-716.jpg
image.jpg
image-768.jpg
image-405.jpg
image-217.jpg
image-274.jpg
image.jpg
image-690.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-304.jpg
image.jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

So how hard is it going to be to find a 1987 Bally heavy metal meltdown plastic ramp? Did anybody ever reproduce that? Mine is pretty flogged, would love to find a replacement, but i see others looking too. Even a half decent used one would be fine. Mine is painted red and heavily patched, so it's pretty useless.

That all said, i may be able to vacuum form a new ramp. It doesn't look like it will be easy, but might give it a try. I've done other vacuum formed parts, but never a ramp. Does anyone know if this ramp is in the que to get reproduced? Don't want to bother if they are getting made. If i make a couple would anyone be interested?

thanks. (no PM please, email direct [email protected] )

#2 8 years ago

GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!!!

I had an obsession with that game.. finally found a pretty nice one after going thru 2-3 fixer uppers and my ramp is not 100%.. but not brutally hacked.. that ramp is a BITCH to find in anything less than 3 pieces with some sort of wacky tape job on the left!!

I actually bought a busted up game just for extra parts for my game... but yeah the ramp on that one was trashed and much worse than mine

be patient - and IF you really like the game.. maybe find a person selling a nice one (yes you will have to pay $2K or so or more for a nice one with nice ramp and not worn out) and then sell your game off.

This is one of THE most undervalued games out there by "book" or "comp" value.

I like it so much that I have a constant search for anything for HMM on ebay and snagged an extra populated playfield for the extra parts and made a coffee table out of the playfield!

I have numerous pix of the 4-5 HMM's I have had (finally settled on the one I have as my keeper) but the one is of the playfield before coffee table status and the other is just one of the ramp wacky tape jobs !

will shoot out here a few more of other ramps I have seen and had and the coffee table 80% finalized (yet to paint the lower legs and such (they gotta be black and yellow and orange and silver - NOT wood color as it is now!)

HEAVY....... METAL........ MELTDOWN

rock on!

E.JPGE.JPG IMG_2732.JPGIMG_2732.JPG
#3 8 years ago

Does anybody have a scan of the plastic right by the level one target?

I think I'm going to go ahead and make a mold and try to vacuum form a ramp for this game.

#4 8 years ago

I think my plastic is all beat to hell (as is my fiberglass reinforced ramp) but I'll check when I get to my studio tonight. If it's decent I'll throw it on the scanner bed.

#5 8 years ago

Pinsider Freeplay did the high speed clear ramp and he might be able to help you on the ramp vac form project . I have one of his ramps and it fit well.

#6 8 years ago

i'll try making a ramp mold this weekend. if it doesn't work out then i'll get others involved.

#7 8 years ago

Well, not only is my "Level 1" plastic broken, it's not even the right one compared to the pics. Someone custom made mine. Sorry about that...

I'd be willing to go in on a new ramp if one were to suddenly become available.

Art.

#8 8 years ago

I made the ramp's negative. now i'm ready to try some vacuum forming of a new ramp. It was a bit of a messy job but can't make a new ramp without a form. Now to make the vacuum table (a lot easier than the form!) The negative is made out of body filler. Used almost an entire huge $22 can of the stuff (Home depot.) The sanding and fitting was the bitch but i'm pretty sure this will work.

Does anyone have a scan of the LEVEL1 plastic???? Even just a good picture of it. please...

hmmramp1.jpghmmramp1.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Until i can get a new Bally Heavy Metal Meltdown ramp, i'm going with what i have. Notice the cliffy type ramp protectors on the freaky once-painted-red ramp.

6803_heavymetal2.jpg6803_heavymetal2.jpg

6803_heavymetal1.jpg6803_heavymetal1.jpg

#10 8 years ago

I admire your creative tenacity and I hope you get your ramp reproduced. Please keep the pics coming so I (and many others) can watch the process. Good luck and keep jammin' with your HEAVY....... METAL........ MELTDOWN

#11 8 years ago

YOU GO MAN!!! YOU GO!!

hair metal died with Nirvana.... CFH keeps the dream alive!!!!

I swear this pin is so undervalued! I spent SO long looking for 1 and went thru 3-4 games before "settling" on the one I have

Hey CFH if you want to add some "metal" guitar mods to your playfield I can send you pix of what I did, just to spruce things up... The little guitar hero figures have accessory pack guitars... well... you can guess what I did. GAME BEGS FOR LED lighting too!

That boom box topper needs some sort of lighting/effects/or something MOD wise... don't know what,,,, and I am not "good enough" to rig it up.. but that big ole dummy box up there with a red light in it that glows brigher as you lock balls is not much of a build up to multi-ball...

AND OH YEAH on that topic (multi-ball) - is it just my game or my angle but when the 5 balls release and drop down toward the flippers do they just about drain right down the pipe.. I found that I have to time the release and give the game a good nudge and side kick to scatter them a bit (of course tilt plumb bob is not even hooked up, HA)

#12 8 years ago

open trivia question:

is this game the first one that came "pre-modded" from Bally? that is.. the pinblades-innercab side mirror blades? HUMMMMMMM... I know another 6803 game , Bally's Blackwater 100 had the beautiful side art (giving that game so much depth it is awesome)

#13 8 years ago

I heard a funny story from Dayhuff once. He had a stack of ten unknown NOS ramps that he was carting around to shows and selling for like $20 or something. Someone picked up the last one and paid him for it and was like "I've been looking for a nice HMM forever!". He must've smacked his forehead.

I had luck getting a nice plastic set as well as a nice ramp off of RPG five or so years ago. I fixed the game up and sold it quickly because I didnt wanna be around when that ramp broke again. Too bad I sold it for $600...

*smacks forehead*

Really really fun theme!

#14 8 years ago

Ready to try it. Vacuum form table made, will give it a try.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Anxious to see how this works out. Good luck.

#16 8 years ago

Did the first ramp. Not perfect but will go try the fit to see if any adjustments to the mold need to be made.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 8 years ago

awesome!

I will take and extra please once you get it perfected!

#18 8 years ago

Well this is far from a perfect product. The first one came out rough, need more practice (and yes it takes practice to do this). I'm sure the second will be better. Below are the before and after pics with the old ramp and new ramp rough cut and rough fit to see how the ramp shoots. Seems to be ok. I will probably give away the ones I don't end up using but they are a long way from perfect reproductions. Best I can do in my kitchen though. (No one else seems interested in making this ramp so it forced me into this project.)

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#19 8 years ago

Awesome stuff! So glad someone's doing this, would love to pick this title up some day.

#20 8 years ago

looks pretty good for a first attempt!

Nice work Clay!

#21 8 years ago

I wouldn't say I'm reproducing these besides for my own needs. To do this isn't exactly easy with my home made equipment. But it is doable and might help others do similar projects.

#22 8 years ago

Ramp #2 came out much better. Changed the oven to 375 degrees. Also changed the position of the mold on the vacuum form box. Sucked down really well. Also for tight spots used a propane touch to reheat the plastic allow the vacuum to suck it down further and tighter. Now off to the bandsaw and belt sander to trim it and then mount it in the game.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Ramp #2 came out much better. Changed the oven to 375 degrees. Also changed the position of the mold on the vacuum form box. Sucked down really well. Also for tight spots used a propane touch to reheat the plastic allow the vacuum to suck it down further and tighter. Now off to the bandsaw and belt sander to trim it and then mount it in the game.

That looks really tight ! Great job.

#24 8 years ago

Hope you make a video to put on ninja! Would be real cool to see a tutorial on how to make this

#25 8 years ago

Great job, there is a lot to be learned from this thread.

#26 8 years ago

This unfortunately won't end up on the Pinballninja.com site. The reason is simple... i could not do a video of it. When doing vacuum forming, timing is everything. I can't do a vacuum form and record video. Would have needed someone else to do the video recording. I did have someone last week, but he was late and besides, it was my first attempt at forming the ramp, and it failed miserably. So frankly I was glad he was late and didn't record it!

I will add to the existing http://www.pinrepair.com/vacuum web page though. but most of that will be a repeat of what is seen here (with more words but largely the same pictures.)

#27 8 years ago

Second ramp turned out much better! I'm thrilled, will work great.

Here it is installed without protectors.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Here's how it looks with protectors.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#28 8 years ago

Can I get one?

Happy to make another donation to the museum to fund it?

Tell me how much.

#29 8 years ago

That's turning out really nice. What material are you using?

#30 8 years ago

Very impressive. I am too curious on what material is used

#31 8 years ago

To recap, here's the breakdown. Made the vacuum form box. About $15 in materials and a couple hours time. The mold was the huge time suck, lots of hours to get it right. Sanding body filler sucks. A $22 can of filler. PETG at .060" thick was bought. Entire 4x8' sheet was $80. Of course didn't use that much of it. The other big time suck was cutting the ramp to size and drilling holes in the right place. That took at least 1.5 hours.

So was it worth it? Probably not. But it's done.

#32 8 years ago

Can you pull me one please? No need to cut it to size if too much time for that. Seems like all the efforts to make the mold should pull a few more sheets through it.

Would be greatly appreciated!

Just tell me a price.

#33 8 years ago

Very cool Clay. Has to be worth it since it's not available. Just curious were you get the petg from?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

So was it worth it? Probably not.

"What you talkin bout Wilson"....of course it was worth it, you made a ramp when there were none available. You can make some money now, the hard part is done. You will be THE guy to go to for a HM ramp, you all ready have people lined up to buy it. Go for it, you'll make a lot of people VERY happy.

#35 8 years ago

without a CNC router to cut the plastic ramp, it's not worth it. I would have to charge $250 per ramp for it to make sense, and frankly it's not a $250 ramp. I mean it's home made. It's not as good or even close to say what Pinball Inc does, for example. I did it in a pinch, because no one else was going to make it. Even the guy that did the Genesis ramps told me, "no one has ever asked me to do this ramp." Which means the demand is low at best, maybe non-existent. (He needs 15 pre-sales to consider making a ramp.)

One of the big failings with this new ramp is the thickness. Though i started with 1/16" thick (.060") PETG plastic (which any decent plastic supply house sells), after your form it, and stretch it over the mold, it gets thinner. (It is the same thickness as the original ramp though, but we all know, that's not thick enough!) The metal ramp protectors I made are pretty much required if you want the ramp to last. This was probably why the original didn't last.

Ramp making technology has improved over the years. Also who would have thunk that 20 years after HMM was released anyone would want or collect this game? I doubt Bally was thinking like that... They just wanted the game to last 5 years for their operators, which it probably did. But time and 3 ounces of steel balls hitting plastic take their toll...

#36 8 years ago

I updated the document at http://pinrepair.com/vacuum with information on how I constructed the vacuum form box, and all the pictures and details outlined in this post.

#37 8 years ago

How much to just pull me an uncut blank? I can take care of the cut out and clean up.

#38 8 years ago

Looks great.

I have had good luck making patterns out of gauging plaster if you are looking for an alternative to auto body filler (Bondo). I just mix it up and pour it into the ramp, it will set in under an hour and can be easily sanded very smooth and also more can be added to the surface to touch up any air pockets. I just put clear shipping tape over the ends of the ramp to seal the ramp up so the plaster would not run out.

The problem is that it is not as tough as Bondo would be be. You can put some window screen into the plaster before it hardens to act like remesh does in concrete. The most important is to make sure the backside that you putting onto your vacuum forming table is flat so the plaster pattern is well supported across the entire backside and won't crack.

#39 8 years ago

Good work. The 2nd run looks awesome, becasue the 1st was a total shit show

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I updated the document at http://pinrepair.com/vacuum with information on how I constructed the vacuum form box, and all the pictures and details outlined in this post.

Great job! These are the type of threads that make Pinside great. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this information. Thank you.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

updated the document at http://pinrepair.com/vacuum with information on how I constructed the vacuum form box, and all the pictures and details outlined in this post.

Nice write up, Clay.

#42 8 years ago

Nice work Clay!

#43 8 years ago

Pictures when we were using the body filler to initially fill the ramp to make the mold. What a cluster!

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#44 8 years ago

Here's the original ramp before I started messing with it!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#45 8 years ago

Love that Bally SBA sign over the door.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Pictures when we were using the body filler to initially fill the ramp to make the mold. What a cluster!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yeah, if ya don't know how to work with that stuff it can be a pain. Try messin with Tiger Hair sometime.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Try messin with Tiger Hair sometime.

At least it's blue and not dildo pink.

#49 8 years ago

Here's the video of the repair/ramp re-make.

#50 8 years ago

Thanks for the video! That was very informative.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, OH
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-heavy-metal-meltdown-plastic-ramp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.