aueos (resized).jpg
aueos (resized).jpg
Hay Ride Added Ball (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Score Motor comparison - early Bally Gottlieb (resized).jpg
Hayride.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 1 year ago

I recently bought a "shopped" Hay Ride. After many hours of freeing frozen steppers and replacing many failed Bally sockets, I'm left with one issue.

After lighting BALL the center mushroom will light (STAR). Hitting the star advances the lit pumpkins, but does not award the added ball.

Added balls are awarded for all other achievements (lighting BALLY lower left exit rollover and high score thresholds).

The schematic only references the star in the light circuit. But it appears that the mushroom circuits B-A-L-L is the key. Since lighting BALLY lights the special rollover and awards added balls, Im focused on a condition not being met in the B-A-L-L circuit.

Any help would be GREAT

#2 1 year ago

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2), Fedex ($6), or Office Depot

#3 1 year ago
Hayride.pdfHayride.pdf
#4 1 year ago

It's interesting that this game, early in Bally's return to pinball from the world of bingos, uses a Gottlieb style motor. Compare the two:
Score Motor comparison - early Bally Gottlieb (resized).jpgScore Motor comparison - early Bally Gottlieb (resized).jpg
Now I'm curious when they developed their own motor.

Consider sending a photo of the bottom of the cabinet and/or the Score Motor to IPDB.org
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1141

/Mark

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It's interesting that this game, early in Bally's return to pinball from the world of bingos, uses a Gottlieb style motor. Compare the two:
[quoted image]
Now I'm curious when they developed their own motor.
Consider sending a photo of the bottom of the cabinet and/or the Score Motor to IPDB.org
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1141
/Mark

If you look that the score motor, you would think you were looking at a Gottlieb (almost!). I had a Bally Bus Stop that had the same score motor, too.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from TwinDavid:

I recently bought a "shopped" Hay Ride. After many hours of freeing frozen steppers and replacing many failed Bally sockets, I'm left with one issue.

I hate reading shopped or restored in listings. Too many times that is basically BS. I see rebound rubbers that are not replaced, missing posts and other obvious flaws on shopped machines. Or ad reads works great and then further down it lists issues. The best are car ads lately. First, the car doesn't have 22K miles with a 5 digit odometer. It has been rolled once, maybe twice. I read one listing and it said vehicle runs great and was ready to go and further in the listing it said needs brake work and new battery. Lol.

Ok, rant over. Good luck with repair.

#7 1 year ago

"Playfield cleaned, new rubbers, contacts gone through, backglass sealed, nice cabinet, legs, and solid plastics."

This would be impossible considering every stepper was frozen. One of the wipers was bent up and off the contact...come on, man!

Well, the bright side is that everything has been gone over. If I can get this last issue solved, I would be a happy guy!

#8 1 year ago

Here's how far I've gotten toward understanding the Extra Ball logic. I'll keep thinking about it but I decided to post this in case it helps someone else figure this out.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9 1 year ago

I had to look at this a few times too...
Hay Ride Added Ball (resized).pngHay Ride Added Ball (resized).png
I think it's just the EOS switch on the Advance Unit that should fire the Added Ball SU solenoid. Since you can add balls in other situations the Replay Unit Limit switch is probably good. It sounds like your Advance Unit is doing the right thing so if you're lucky it's just the EOS switch or its wiring that's the issue.

/Mark

#10 1 year ago

I had to look at this a few times too...
[quoted image]
I think it's just the EOS switch on the Advance Unit that should fire the Added Ball SU solenoid. Since you can add balls in other situations the Replay Unit Limit switch is probably good. It sounds like your Advance Unit is doing the right thing so if you're lucky it's just the EOS switch or its wiring that's the issue.
/Mark</blockquote

JR suggested the same. This is the Advance Unit. Top contacts trips when at 10 pumpkins.

Bottom contacts? no wires. This is the EOS?

Take a look the the electrical tape behind the unit. no no no no no no

aueos (resized).jpgaueos (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago
aueos (resized).jpgaueos (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago

This is the Advance unit. Top Contacts trip at 10 pumpkins.

Bottom contacts...I assume this is the EOS.

#13 1 year ago

and there is electrical tape behind it.

BARTENDER!!!

#14 1 year ago

The bottom end of stroke switch long blade should almost rest on the metal pin. The short blade looks like it’s soldered to the frame, which means that there should be a common wire attached to the mounting frame of the unit. clean and adjust switch.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The bottom end of stroke switch long blade should almost rest on the metal pin. The short blade looks like it’s soldered to the frame, which means that there should be a common wire attached to the mounting frame of the unit. clean and adjust switch.

Its an optical illusion. The short blade lug is free from the frame.

#16 1 year ago

Opinions, please!

A schematic is one thing, but a wring diagram is another.

Since all of the functions actuate the advance unit for pumpkins (which works including lit star)..and each time you advance a pumpkin a ball is added, can I run the advance unit step up coil through the replay limit to the step up coil on the replay unit?

#17 1 year ago

just to sanity check ...

1] what is normally the replay unit in the head has been repurposed as an "added ball unit", so the "replay unit limit" switch at schem C35 is really the "added ball unit limit switch" - they forgot to change the label on the schem. You've verified the limit switch is not open when testing.

2] the EOS switch on the advance unit actually has wires connected to the lugs. If one lug is not connected to a wire, then the blade must connect to the unit frame as daveh mentioned ... usually via the screws and a metal plate.

note there's multiple circuit paths to step up the added ball unit. If you pull out the adjust plug with wire 50-6 attached (schem C32), do added balls still work for stuff besides the match and getting 10 pumpkins?

since hitting the star mushroom (L1) causes the advance relay to power and increment the pumpkin, the BALL and probably ALLY circuit seem to be working.

a simple test is manually close the EOS on the advance unit. If the thumper control unit step-up solenoid doesn't fire, you have a problem with the EOS. If the thumper control does fire but the add ball unit step-up doesn't, first check the limit switch on the add ball unit. If that's okay, you have an interesting wiring/plug connection problem ... where to look depends where all the units are in the game.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

just to sanity check ...
1] what is normally the replay unit in the head has been repurposed as an "added ball unit", so the "replay unit limit" switch at schem C35 is really the "added ball unit limit switch" - they forgot to change the label on the schem. You've verified the limit switch is not open when testing.
2] the EOS switch on the advance unit actually has wires connected to the lugs. If one lug is not connected to a wire, then the blade must connect to the unit frame as daveh mentioned ... usually via the screws and a metal plate.
note there's multiple circuit paths to step up the added ball unit. If you pull out the adjust plug with wire 50-6 attached (schem C32), do added balls still work for stuff besides the match and getting 10 pumpkins?
since hitting the star mushroom (L1) causes the advance relay to power and increment the pumpkin, the BALL and probably ALLY circuit seem to be working.
a simple test is manually close the EOS on the advance unit. If the thumper control unit step-up solenoid doesn't fire, you have a problem with the EOS. If the thumper control does fire but the add ball unit step-up doesn't, first check the limit switch on the add ball unit. If that's okay, you have an interesting wiring/plug connection problem ... where to look depends where all the units are in the game.

The issue is that there are no wires to the EOS on the Advance unit..

#19 1 year ago

The wire colors are black-yellow and grey-red.
Maybe they are tied together and taped off.

#20 1 year ago

agreed. 91-3 and 83-1. I will pull the advance unit away from the mounting board. Maybe they are tucked there.

#21 1 year ago

The advance unit EOS switch is what steps up the added ball unit.
If yours is disconnected, it will not award an extra ball when hitting the star target. I tested this on my game. Just manually closing the switch in any state steps up the added ball unit.
Here are some photos of the switch in my game. Hope this is helpful.

20221201_120011 (resized).jpg20221201_120011 (resized).jpg20221201_120111 (resized).jpg20221201_120111 (resized).jpg
#22 1 year ago

JR

Extremely helpful. Considering the print illustrates two wire codes (Gray/Red, Black Yellow), but your photo shows a different wire color than Gray/Red on the top lug.

There is a small relay (unmarked) on the right side of the lightbox cabinet sitting all by itself (photo). It looks strange to me. I had thought it may be the added logic necessary to convert Harvest Replay to Hay Ride AAB. Does yours have a similar relay?

Added relay (resized).jpgAdded relay (resized).jpg
#23 1 year ago

Mine doesn't have that relay.
It looks like some kind of hack/modification.

#24 1 year ago

JR

Thank you!

One last logic question. When specials is hit on the lower left exit lane, it awards balls...does it award pumpkins, too?

#25 1 year ago

***SOLVED***

Big Thanks to Mark, Howard, and especially JR!

Apparently, some hack had thought the game too hard. Hackmo added a relay to add pumpkins whenever added balls were awarded. Fortunately, the Lit Star put me on the right track. Pumpkins are only awarded through the lit star. After removing the hackster's added relay and rewiring the EOS switch, the game is 100%.

and to all of those hacks out there, and you know who you are...

@#$%#$#$%#$#@

David

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hay-ride-lit-star-award and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.