View topic image gallery

15088679405971596466122 (resized).jpg
1508867899090-1282958845 (resized).jpg
15088678478061704048928 (resized).jpg
20171013_201441 (resized).jpg
20171015_123248 (resized).jpg
20171015_123258 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

im reparing my 1979 harlem globetrotters pinball machine and i noticed that behind the power supply there is this black and corrison.i have another machine handy for parts. But im looking to bulletproof this machine for FOREVER. All help is needed

20171015_123258 (resized).jpg20171015_123258 (resized).jpg

20171015_123248 (resized).jpg20171015_123248 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

That wiring and connectors is shot. All the pins on the supply need to be replaced, each wire needs to be cut and properly repinned.

http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

Bulletproofing info here:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

#3 6 years ago

If you replace that board and repin the wires and new connectors you'll be good for a long while, if not forever.........

#4 6 years ago

Replace board for sure

#5 6 years ago

awesome thank you all so much bc i have brand new board,connectors and new wiring. truly will be a lifelong machine.just put all leds in backbox as well with almost 95% led gi lighting as well

20171013_201441 (resized).jpg20171013_201441 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

ok i did all new power supply and new connectors and now my game will come on but it wont actually start the game as kick the ball out please help

#7 6 years ago

Game goes in to attract mode?
Do you have credits in the game?
Perform a switch test....all switches register using a balll? (Especially important, are the trough and start switches registering?

#8 6 years ago

ok i put credits on it and it wont kick out the ball our make the knocking noise and flippers wont function and it blinked number 8 on the test.it also isnt lighting the right side of the plastic playfield near the bottom.how do i fix this bc i have spend all day trying to get my baby playing again

#9 6 years ago

and the second player is fuzzy and not displaying numbers

Quoted from radfordian3505:ok i put credits on it and it wont kick out the ball our make the knocking noise and flippers wont function and it blinked number 8 on the test.it also isnt lighting the right side of the plastic playfield near the bottom.how do i fix this bc i have spend all day trying to get my baby playing again

Quoted from wayout440:

Game goes in to attract mode?
Do you have credits in the game?
Perform a switch test....all switches register using a balll? (Especially important, are the trough and start switches registering?

#10 6 years ago

Blinked number 8 on the test? What do you mean there?....Should be a total of 7 LED flashes on the motherboard status LED. If you are able to add credits, the game has booted (displays alternate between high score to date). Get a DMM and check your DC solenoid voltage. Can you get into test mode? The displays are probably another separate issue altogether.

It sounds like this game needs a lot of work, do you have electronics experience? Have you read through the repair guides and PinWiki?

#11 6 years ago

Can you access the self test menu at all??

It's a button inside the coin door. Manual has details on order of function and operation but push button and adjust using combo of credit button and test button to increase/decrease values for high score etc... also should run switch test and solenoid test if you can- may not fix or even provide clue to current issues but informative none the less....

I believe manual is on IPDB And is freely downloadable.

#12 6 years ago

k and i will post more info when i get home.it just sucks bc it worked just fine until i put this new power supply in and i absolutely had to bc of the black and corrosion you see in the beginning pictures.

#13 6 years ago

it did blink 7 times on the mpu

Quoted from wayout440:Blinked number 8 on the test? What do you mean there?....Should be a total of 7 LED flashes on the motherboard status LED. If you are able to add credits, the game has booted (displays alternate between high score to date). Get a DMM and check your DC solenoid voltage. Can you get into test mode? The displays are probably another separate issue altogether.
It sounds like this game needs a lot of work, do you have electronics experience? Have you read through the repair guides and PinWiki?

#14 6 years ago

and it is switch number 8 stuck i have found out. how do you fix a stuck switch

Quoted from wayout440:Blinked number 8 on the test? What do you mean there?....Should be a total of 7 LED flashes on the motherboard status LED. If you are able to add credits, the game has booted (displays alternate between high score to date). Get a DMM and check your DC solenoid voltage. Can you get into test mode? The displays are probably another separate issue altogether.

#15 6 years ago

This is the first two things to look at. In the Bally repair guides I mentioned earlier in the thread:

"The most common stuck switch problem relates to the capacitor on playfield switches. Note all playfield switches have a capacitor, but most do. Often these capacitors short, leak, or just break off. With the game on and in switch test, cut one end of the capacitor and see if the number goes away on the display in switch test. If so, the capacitor will need to be replaced. If the number doesn't go away, then reconnect the capacitor, as this wasn't the problem (check the switch diode next, in the same manner)."
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

#16 6 years ago

From your description it sounds like you do not have the 48v for coils. Blown fuse perhaps? Do you have a manual. You should download one that will help you with the self tests.

If the game is up push the red button on the door or the board. First press is lamp test, second is displays, third press is solenoids. It should count down each solenoid number and you should hear it operate. If none of them fire during the count down you have no solenoid power.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1125/Bally_1979_Harlem_Globetrotters_On_Tour_Manual.pdf

The manual will walk you through the test process. Switch #8, BTW, is the outhole. If you have a ball sitting there than that is normal. Try removing the ball and make sure all the targets are up.

#17 6 years ago

ok i did the self test and from 3 to like 10 nothing fired off and yes i have a manual thank you so much. i just hope i figure it out bc i dont understand why the bottom right side of playfield is completely out since i wired this new power supply.i will give it my best when i get home today.how do i get solenoid power again

Quoted from BigAl56:

From your description it sounds like you do not have the 48v for coils. Blown fuse perhaps? Do you have a manual. You should download one that will help you with the self tests.
If the game is up push the red button on the door or the board. First press is lamp test, second is displays, third press is solenoids. It should count down each solenoid number and you should hear it operate. If none of them fire during the count down you have no solenoid power.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1125/Bally_1979_Harlem_Globetrotters_On_Tour_Manual.pdf
The manual will walk you through the test process. Switch #8, BTW, is the outhole. If you have a ball sitting there than that is normal. Try removing the ball and make sure all the targets are up.

#18 6 years ago

Check that 1 amp slo-blo fuse next to the right flipper assembly on the playfield.

Page 17 of your manual shows the switch numbers. Number 8 is the outhole. So if the playfield is in normal playing position and a ball is sitting on the outhole switch then the switch test should show # 8 closed.

#19 6 years ago

ok i have looked this machine over and over and i have noticed that i am missing j3-13 wire color yellow/white on the j3 plug but the original didnt have it.and i researched and found out that it does the solenoid bus which explains things not working.where would this be located.or do i need to put a new wire in a connector and add it to the solenoid driver board

15088678478061704048928 (resized).jpg15088678478061704048928 (resized).jpg

1508867899090-1282958845 (resized).jpg1508867899090-1282958845 (resized).jpg

15088679405971596466122 (resized).jpg15088679405971596466122 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

OK first of all you are holding the wrong connector. The connector in your hand is for the backbox and the reason there is no 53 wire in pin 13 is because that game has no coils in the backbox therefore no reason to have a 43v wire. To trouble shoot the playfield you should be looking at J1 which has a 60 wire (brown) in pin 6. That wire goes to a small 1amp fuse holder on the bottom of the playfield. Coming off that should be a yellow wire that provides 43v to all the coils.

Next lets back up a bit. Does the knocker coil fire? That is coil #2 and is located in the cabinet. If that's firing then the power supply is working if not there is no 43v and we should be looking at the PS.

If you can hear the knocker go off at #2 and then nothing you have no 48 v going to the playfield. Do you have a volt meter? You should read 43v to ground at the fuse holder under the playfield. If you have voltage at the Brown but the yellow bus has none then you have a blown fuse. BTW those old cheap fuse holders are notorious for breaking and the fuse falling out or loose.

Here is my simple test I used to run. Connect a jumper wire to the metal frame of the game which should be grounded. The very quickly touch the jumper to striped wire soldered to the coil. If there is power on the yellow wire and you ground the other side the coil should fire. If nothing happens you have a problem with the 43v feed coming off J1 or the fuse most likely.

#21 6 years ago

ok thanks to your advise i realized this had a 9th pin on the j1 and all i had to do was move connectors over 1 and viola im playing again.Thank you all for the advise as im still a rookie unfortunately but learning passionately daily.it did burn out a couple of my leds but hopefully thats all

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-harlem-globetrotters-repair?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.