You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D329BB69-8369-4FE2-8DB1-4C3D3E3F360A (resized).jpeg
98892A27-1635-4E92-9AC2-6D9382CD466B (resized).jpeg
happy tour schematic (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I recently picked up a Bally Happy Tour (the add-a-ball version of Grand Tour) that was really, really dirty (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-rare-zale-era-bally-joins-my-collection) and has cleaned up quite nicely, and generally speaking, it plays really well.... except the pop bumpers are not scoring. They trigger just fine, but no score is added. I've looked at this schematic, and I'm just not seeing a pathway for how these pops are supposed to score. Link goes to a schematic for Grand Tour, but this part should be the same... I've compared the schematics (I only have a paper copy of Happy Tour) and the only differences I find relate to replays vs. extra balls.

I'd welcome any ideas the hivemind has about this one.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1081/Bally_1964_Grand_Tour_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

#2 2 years ago

The pop bumpers score though the 0-9 match unit, at A-H 42 (in the grand tour). The thumper controle relay makes the lights go on or off (at R 27) and change the 1 or 10 score (at F 44).

#3 2 years ago

Does it have that dastardly "bumper control unit"? "Hay-Ride" has it. It's like the reflex unit in a bingo. The more you beat the game, the less frequently it allows the bumpers to light. Maybe it has something to do with them not scoring.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Ramakers:

The pop bumpers score though the 0-9 match unit, at A-H 42 (in the grand tour). The thumper controle relay makes the lights go on or off (at R 27) and change the 1 or 10 score (at F 44).

Here's the section in question. I'm not seeing what you're talking about. The thumper control works correctly, turning the lights on and off, but does not score-- if I'm understanding you correctly, for one (the lights) to happen, the other should happen as well, no?

happy tour schematic (resized).jpghappy tour schematic (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Does it have that dastardly "bumper control unit"? "Hay-Ride" has it. It's like the reflex unit in a bingo. The more you beat the game, the less frequently it allows the bumpers to light. Maybe it has something to do with them not scoring.

It does. That unit has been cleaned, and appears to be working correctly. Additionally (like Hay Ride) each of the pops has it's own set of switches and relay on the underside of the playfield. They have been cleaned, gapped, and tested with the multimeter. If it were only one of the pops doing this, I would concentrate more effort on that... but since all three are doing exactly the same thing, I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I'm understanding you correctly, for one (the lights) to happen, the other should happen as well, no?

No, the lights and the scoring are two different parts of the match unit.
Are there any scores made, only 1 point or only 10 point. Or is there no score? And what about the slingshot score?

#7 2 years ago

you answered my questions while I was typing them. Can you share a picture of the wiper side of the match unit?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Ramakers:

you answered my questions while I was typing them. Can you share a picture of the wiper side of the match unit?

I'll take a picture of that when I get home tonight.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Ramakers:

Or is there no score? And what about the slingshot score?

No score at all from the pops. The slings score correctly.

#10 2 years ago

On the thumper control relay, check the make/break switch with the yellow-black wire connected to the middle blade. That’s the switch that changes the score from 1’s to 10 point score. Clean and adjust switch if needed.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

On the thumper control relay, check the make/break switch with the yellow-black wire connected to the middle blade. That’s the switch that changes the score from 1’s to 10 point score. Clean and adjust switch if needed.

I will. But if that wasn't working, it looks like the slings shouldn't score either... and they score fine.

#12 2 years ago

Pics of the thumper unit are attached. While I was working on it, I cleaned everything again- this unit, the switches on the underside of the pops, and the thumper control switches on the bottom of the playfield.

After tinkering, the pops now score ones (when unlit) but do not score tens (when lit). Don’t know what I did to fix that, but some progress is better than no progress.

98892A27-1635-4E92-9AC2-6D9382CD466B (resized).jpeg98892A27-1635-4E92-9AC2-6D9382CD466B (resized).jpegD329BB69-8369-4FE2-8DB1-4C3D3E3F360A (resized).jpegD329BB69-8369-4FE2-8DB1-4C3D3E3F360A (resized).jpeg
#13 1 year ago

I've tinkered with this some more, but made no more progress towards the pops scoring 10 when lit... as noted above, I now have it scoring correctly when unlit (1 point), but it doesn't score at all when lit (10 points).

Open to any ideas you guys might have. Game otherwise plays flawlessly and is in great shape... so I'm highly motivated to figure this one out.

#14 1 year ago

Haben Sie ein schematicus?

#15 1 year ago

If not, I'll look at my "Hay-Ride" schematic, and see if the circuit is similar.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Haben Sie ein schematicus?

Mein Deutsch ist schrecklich. Mein Großvater wäre enttäuscht. Ich habe einen Schaltplan, sehe aber nicht, wo die 1-10-Verschiebung stattfindet.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1081/Bally_1964_Grand_Tour_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

#17 1 year ago

So you looked at the thumper control *relay*, not just the thumper control unit? It looks like theres switches on that relay which control the lighting of the bumpers (along with the 0-9 match unit disc), but the relay looks like it also controls the scoring of the bumpers (which makes sense).

#18 1 year ago

Now I've got it scoring 10's but not 1's. LOL. May be time to pull the bottom board for closer inspection.

2 months later
#19 1 year ago

This is resolved. I went through and cleaned every switch for a 3rd time. I didn't adjust anything... and it's working.

Now to deal with that sticky 100's score reel (luckily, no mystery to solve with that one!).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-happy-tour-pop-bumpers-not-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.