Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221006_184522 (resized).jpg
20221006_184533 (resized).jpg
20221006_174022 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221006-124103_Chrome (resized).jpg
20221002_200530 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Trying to bring a Bally Hang Glider back to life after many years in storage.

I've made some progress. Machine will power on now and lock relay will energize. GI lights are working. Credit button does not work.

If I manually activate the credit relay, it will hold in and activate the coin relay and reset relay, which both hold in. However, the score motor does not start spinning, which I think should be the next step in the startup sequence and a result of the reset relay energizing.

If I activate the game over interlock it will hold in and the playfield comes to life. Flippers will work, targets, scoring, slings, bonus, etc. all work, mostly. I can manually advance player and ball#. Outhole sequence does not work.

I've been following the schematics as best I can and it looks like there are multiple ways to energize the score motor. None have been successful so I'm wondering if there is some fault in the score motor itself.

Is there a way to determine if there is a problem at the score motor? Or is there maybe something else going on I should check?

20221002_200530 (resized).jpg20221002_200530 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

If you nudge the Score Motor forward (by pushing the cams down), does it run on its own to the next index position? That might be the easiest way to tell if the motor works, unless the motor run switch, likely in the first switch stack, doesn't close properly.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

The score motor circuit might be loosing its connection at the coin door switches nc normally closed lugs wires. Or stuck switch will keep the score motor from running.

#4 1 year ago

Check for loose wires or bad contacts on the score motor switches as indicated above.They could always us a good cleaning.It's the top one on the closest stake in picture.
Have you checked "ALL" fuses? Tilt relay?(that was just a guess)

#5 1 year ago

Make sure the little nipple is pulling in to engage the motor, I often find they stick. If so push it in with your finger and spray it out with some electronic motor cleaner.

Screenshot_20221006-124103_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221006-124103_Chrome (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If you nudge the Score Motor forward (by pushing the cams down), does it run on its own to the next index position? That might be the easiest way to tell if the motor works, unless the motor run switch, likely in the first switch stack, doesn't close properly.
/Mark

It doesn't. Looks like the top switch on the first cam (1e) should energize the motor. Cleaned and adjusted but no luck.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The score motor circuit might be loosing its connection at the coin door switches nc normally closed lugs wires. Or stuck switch will keep the score motor from running.

There are some hacks at the coin door microswitchs. Haven't figured out what the intent was yet.

20221006_174022 (resized).jpg20221006_174022 (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from southofi-10:

Check for loose wires or bad contacts on the score motor switches as indicated above.They could always us a good cleaning.It's the top one on the closest stake in picture.
Have you checked "ALL" fuses? Tilt relay?(that was just a guess)

Fuses, tilt, delay should all be good. I assume if something was stuck closed then I wouldnt be able to get the playfield working?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Tpbw:

Make sure the little nipple is pulling in to engage the motor, I often find they stick. If so push it in with your finger and spray it out with some electronic motor cleaner.
[quoted image]

Interesting...should it move freely?. Feels pretty solid

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Tpbw:

[quoted image]

This was it. Completely seized with crud.

New problem....did I break it? The motor will spin now, but it just spins around the small shaft where I think it should be attached somehow so that it can turn the rest of the gears and rotate the cams

20221006_184522 (resized).jpg20221006_184522 (resized).jpg20221006_184533 (resized).jpg20221006_184533 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hang-glider-score-motor-doesn-t-spin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.