You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170607_153453 (resized).jpg
IMG_8951 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 4 years ago

The 2 upper pop bumpers on Bally Hang Glider are "100 points when lit", thus I assume 10 points when not lit. Mine are lit full time. I see no indication on the game or schematic that would toggle these on/off or score 10/100 points. If you have a copy of this game..what does yours do?

#2 4 years ago

Looking at the schematic, all 3 pop bumpers are always lit. The lower pop scores 10 and the upper two are 100.

Many games have alternating pops for lights on and various scores. Not Hang Glider. Post a picture!

#3 4 years ago

Yeah, all three stay lit. They must have put the wrong covers on and decided to let 'em go like that.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#4 4 years ago

A friend has a Hang Glider machine and we always wondered why Bally put the "100 when lit" bumper caps on pop bumpers that are always lit. Its sister machine, Hi-Deal, has the correct "100" bumper caps, but these are red in color.

We came to our own conclusion that Bally had an excess of "100 when lit" bumper caps and they didn't want to spend the money to make blue "100" bumper caps. They installed those incorrect bumper caps and, back in the day, very few players probably noticed the bumper cap error.

It would be simple to just switch out the bumper caps to the "100" style bumper caps. Unfortunately, I don't think they make Bally style blue "100" bumper caps. You can always get the red "100" bumper caps and paint them blue!

#5 4 years ago

Yep, mine is the same way. (Had to verify!) lol

Another Question - for the "rotating gate" on the left side, mine is only scoring /chiming - when the light is lit. Nothing if not lit. Is this correct?

IMG_8951 (resized).jpgIMG_8951 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

I have not played a Hang Glider, but the usual design might have the spinner score 1000 when lit and 100 when not lit.

The schematic (on ipdb) makes it appear that the scoring of the spinner (see location J-33) between the 1000-pt and 100-pt relays is controlled by a make/break switch in the dbl bonus relay. The path to the 100-pt relay also involves a m/b switch in the 500-pt relay.

schematic: https://www.ipdb.org/files/1112/HangGliderSchem.pdf

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Yep, mine is the same way. (Had to verify!) lol
Another Question - for the "rotating gate" on the left side, mine is only scoring /chiming - when the light is lit. Nothing if not lit. Is this correct?[quoted image]

I believe that the spinner awards points the same way in Hi Deal as it does in Hang Glider. So you should get 100pts and a chime when not lit and 1000pts and a different chime for when it is lit. I believe the spinner is lit after the 5 right side targets are all hit. Even though these machines are considered to be the same game with Hi Deal being a 1 player and Hang Glider being a 4 player, there are definately some minor differences.
20170607_153453 (resized).jpg20170607_153453 (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago

Thanks! Mine is now not giving points or chimes without being lit (could have sworn it was before I started cleaning bonus & player units - different problem there but that one was solved), so armed with that info above, I'll start chasing that one down

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

I have not played a Hang Glider, but the usual design might have the spinner score 1000 when lit and 100 when not lit.
The schematic (on ipdb) makes it appear that the scoring of the spinner (see location J-33) between the 1000-pt and 100-pt relays is controlled by a make/break switch in the dbl bonus relay. The path to the 100-pt relay also involves a m/b switch in the 500-pt relay.
schematic: https://www.ipdb.org/files/1112/HangGliderSchem.pdf

OK, found what you're talking about on the schematics. Now - as I'm getting points and chimes when the light is lit (1,000 points) , but I'm not getting anything when not lit (no 100 points)- does this mean my issue is with the MB switch on the 500 point relay?

I have to say, to get past my last problem (multi player issues) I had to pull the playfield out enough to get to the last few relays inside the cab. As I think this was working before I did that, could I have bent/squashed/broken something here in doing so? I lifted it up, pulled it forward about 6 inches to get inside the back of the cab, but very careful when lowering back down while I worked on it (maybe not careful enough?)

Just thinking I may have caused this one on my own here. ugh! If not, I'll hunt down the 500 pint relay to find that MB switch...

Any & all help is greatly appreciated!

#10 4 years ago

I would venture that it could be either M/B switch (or both), in the dbl bonus relay or the 500-pt relay. Both will need to conduct electricity in the non-energized state to complete the circuit path to the 100-pt relay.

#11 4 years ago

Found it. And again thanks to your help. Checked both of those. Then looked at the schematics. And see that it also runs thru the Double Bonus relay.
Sure enough that one, along with the Player Reset relay are the two farthest inside the cab. When I cleaned the player reset I also cleaned the double bonus. Apparently I “adjusted” one blade of the MB on it. Now working. !! 100 Points and chime with no light. 1000 points and a diff chime with light on. Now 100% working - thank you! (And still another lesson learned)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hang-glider-pop-bumper-scoring-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.