1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hang Glider bonus count (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello! I have a Bally Hang Glider that I have owned since 1976. It has 25,308 total plays on it. About six months ago the double bonus stopped working. That is, when the appropriate button is struck, the double bonus light lights up and the score in the center of the board advances. But when the ball goes out the out hole the score wheels only count a single bonus and do not double.

I have the schematics for the machine as well as the original manual. I also have the three pinball machine repair manuals that are available online. I have fixed some other things on the machine myself over the years, but this one has me beat.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to where I should be focusing? Is the problem likely to be in the score motor, ball count unit, or in the double bonus relay?

Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

Welcome to Pinside.

Generally when counting a bonus score at the end of the ball the number of points added is determined by the rate at which the 1000 point relay is fired relative to rate at which the Bonus Unit steps down towards zero. When counting a single bonus the 1000 point relay is fired once for each Bonus Unit step. When counting a double bonus, the 1000 point relay is fired twice per Bonus Unit step. In Hang Glider the circuit looks like this:
Hang Glider bonus count (resized).jpgHang Glider bonus count (resized).jpg
On a single bonus the 1000 point relay gets five pulses per Score Motor cycle (or 180 turn of the motor), four pulses come from a switch on the #9 Score Motor cam (9A SCM) and a fifth pulse from a switch on the #5 cam (5C SCM). (Note the arrows connecting the circuits together without an explicit wire drawn.) At the same time, the Bonus Unit Reset Solenoid gets five pulses per Score Motor cycle from a switch on the #2 cam (2B SCM). The result is 1000 points per Bonus Unit step.

On a double bonus the circuit gets reconfigured because the Double Bonus relay should fire and change the two Make/Break switches. In this case, the 1000 point relay gets four pulses per motor cycle from the Score Motor 9A switch only and the Bonus Unit Reset Solenoid gets just two pulses, from the 5C and 8C Score Motor switches. The result is 2000 points per Bonus Unit step. Notice on the Score Motor chart how the pulses to the Bonus Unit (from the 5 and 8 cams) happen between the pulses to the 1000 point relay (from the 9 cam).

If your Double Bonus light comes on that indicates that the Double Bonus relay has fired. If that's the case the issue is probably with the Make/Break switch in the red box. The normally closed half of that switch may not be opening and allowing the five pulses from the Motor 2B switch to get through when they shouldn't.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

Great explanation, MarkG - very clear.

#5 1 year ago

Outstanding! Thanks, and what an excellent response. I know what I will be working on this afternoon. Amazing level of information and talent on this site. Thanks again!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-hang-glider-double-bonus-problem?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.