20201228_192223 (resized).jpg
20201228_192157 (resized).jpg
20201228_192144 (resized).jpg
Grand Slam.jpg
gspop (resized).jpg
gssling (resized).jpg
20201201_181108 (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

I recently acquired an old Bally Grand Slam pinball machine project. Went looking through the forums for a club dedicated to the game. Didn't find one. How can that be?? I thought there was already a club for every game including those that aren't out yet. If there is one already that I missed I'll delete this one. Otherwise consider this the start of the Bally Grand Slam owners club!

IPDB.org says that they made 1000 of these games (2 and 4 player combined) and I wonder how many are left?

How does the game play? Id it any good?

Who has parts for these? I am missing a sling plastic and could use an another baseball pop bumper cap.

The project I picked up is physically in nice shape but was missing the MPU and sound board. I hace a -35 that I can add the diode and make the correct MPU board and had a spare sound board. Will make a good winter project to get cleaned up and running.

#2 9 months ago

I started working on a Grand Slam playfield recently and pulled the other one out for reference and realized that they made them some with a lamp pcb and some with all individual sockets. Curious if anyone knows which is more common?

20201201_181108 (resized).jpg

#3 9 months ago

I have individual sockets on mine. Are there serial numbers on the playfield? Show help to determine if the early or later games used the board instead.

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I have individual sockets on mine. Are there serial numbers on the playfield? Show help to determine if the early or later games used the board instead.

No serials on the playfields themselves. Serial of the one with the PCB is 1046 I don't have access to the cabinet for the other playfield.

#5 9 months ago

It's a blast with great artwork. I love it... I played it on location when it came out.

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

No serials on the playfields themselves. Serial of the one with the PCB is 1046 I don't have access to the cabinet for the other playfield.

I think the number on mine was in the upper 200’s so the later ones probably had the boards for the lamps.

#7 9 months ago

I think I've tracked down most of the parts I need to get the game together. Just missing a couple parts to the playfield. I'm in need of one pop bumper cap (both pieces) and the right sling plastic. Anyone have spares or know of a source for these?

My game was missing the displays and the MPU board. I had an extra -35 MPU that I'm going to convert for this and am going to install a set of the BLUE 6 digit displays after I assemble those. I think the blue displays will go good with the blue on the cabinet.

gspop (resized).jpggssling (resized).jpg
#8 9 months ago

I need a set of pop caps as well for one of my playfields. Maybe someone can do something with this scan I made.

Grand Slam.jpg

#9 9 months ago

I’ve seen pictures where people had translucent caps installed. Maybe something like that would work with a vinyl sticker on the top.

#10 9 months ago

I'd be in for some caps... And fly away targets

3 weeks later
#11 8 months ago

I'm going to go with new pop bumper bodies and orange/red caps like I've seen in pictures. I think it will look ok. Installed a new set of 4 Wolffpac blue LED displays (all the displays were missing) and put in a rebuilt MPU and sound board. I also rebuild the driver board. Game boots and plays. Upper flipper isn't working so need to look at that and I diode is missing on a lamp socket. Two other sockets had the diode broken free but I was able to resolder those.

If someone could post come pictures of the wiring of the upper flipper that would help. There was a wire hanging there and someone added other wires. It's sort of a mess. Would like an example of what it should look like.

#12 8 months ago

I took some pictures of the upper flipper on my complete playfield (with the lamp boards) as I am still working on rebuilding the other one so FYI the wiring on this one looks like a complete shit show but it is functional.

20201228_192144 (resized).jpg
20201228_192157 (resized).jpg
20201228_192223 (resized).jpg

#13 8 months ago

Thanks for the pictures. I’ll dig more into the flipper issue tomorrow. This evening I fixed the rest of the lights. Two lights between 3rd and home were always on and one never came on. The one that never turned on was missing the diode on the socket. The other two had shorted diodes. Installing three new diodes fixed it.

1 week later
#14 8 months ago

All my boards are done. They have all the updates (jumpers on driver as needed) and NVRAM on the MPU. Also running a set of 4 new BLUE Wolfpack displays. Ran into an odd issue on the sound card. Discovered there are two variations of that board and the only difference is the way traces are routed on the back. One style will short against the mounting bracket. Lot an EPROM that way. Burning a new replacement got that back up and running. Added a nylon washer between the board and bracket takes care of the problem.

#15 8 months ago

Looks like there is an error on the schematics for this game. According to the book the upper coil isn’t wired for power. Obvious mistake.

1 week later
#16 8 months ago

I think the wiring on the upper flipper is fine but it looks like the contacts were replaced for the lower feeding it and they may have messed up the wiring on that. Could use reference photos of the wiring on the lower flippers too.

#17 8 months ago

20201228_183701 (resized).jpg
20210116_140930 (resized).jpg
20210116_140936 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#18 7 months ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

I started working on a Grand Slam playfield recently and pulled the other one out for reference and realized that they made them some with a lamp pcb and some with all individual sockets. Curious if anyone knows which is more common?
[quoted image]

Classic Bally. Baby Pac-Man had the same thing, halfway through the run they switched to PCBs for the lamps.
I think it was because ops hated to service them and if you touch the metal to the braid you blow fuses. All around it was a pain in the ass. PCB is so much better.

1 month later
#19 5 months ago

Is the 'Home Plate' rollover insert lamp supposed to be illuminated all the time, and not part of the feature lights?

Thanks in advance!

3 months later
#20 84 days ago

Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the flyaway switches? It seems like every time I adjust one leaf, the other leaf goes out of adjustment plus there is so little room to actually adjust with the little board on the mechanism itself which seems especially important to making sure the switches are properly adjusted.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside