Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Collin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Here's kind of an odd one. I haven't had a chance to delve too deep into this game yet; just booted it up last night. It has probably been sitting for over a decade, and needs all the typical stuff - new driver board caps, minor CPU corrosion clean-up and battery removal, thorough cleaning. Oh, and it's an absolute rust-bucket at the moment, but it'll clean up well.

It boots up normally, and displays and backbox lights (controlled and GI) all come up and work properly. NO lights on the playfield come on - both GI and controlled lamps are out.

This game uses the Solenoid/Lamp Driver Combo board -147, so the test points don't exactly match up. Most of them seem to have the voltages I would expect, but there's no voltage at TP9. Haven't had a chance to check the schematic for whether there's a missing voltage or if that's a ground.

Anyhow, does anyone have any off-the-cuff reactions as to what I should look at for all playfield lamps being out?

#2 8 years ago

GI doesn't run through the lamp driver board, so there's probably a few different issues. At the very least, the GI and feature lamp fuses could be out.

I would turn my attention to the transformer and rectifier board and start testing there.

If you don't have a manual, the goldball manual should be similar enough to get you started since it's also a -133 system with a -147 combo board.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the input! Good to know I can treat it as two separate issues.

Luckily, the manual is available on IPDB, so I've got schematics.

#4 8 years ago

Make sure the playfield plug is seated properly on the rectifier board in the cabinet. Sounds like it is not plugged in if the lamps work in the back box.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Make sure the playfield plug is seated properly on the rectifier board in the cabinet. Sounds like it is not plugged in if the lamps work in the back box.

I remember one of the plugs on the rectifier board felt a little loose, like it didn't want to seat properly. I'll look into that, too

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-grand-slam-all-playfield-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.