Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CPU Board back.jpg
    CPU Board front.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from KMG-365:

I replaced Q35, same problem persisted.

What type of transistor did you replace Q35 with?

Can you post a picture of the solenoid driver board (SDB) around the Q35 area, and if possible the back of the board where Q35 is?

Quoted from KMG-365:

Replaced IC chip U11 which controls Q35 and the system wouldn't boot up. I'm thinking this chip must be programed first?

MPU board U11 is just an I/O interface chip. There is no internal code in it. You can swap it around with U10 to help diagnosis.

Your problem is more likely around the U4 transistor array on the solenoid driver board. What voltage do you measure on pins 4 and 6 of U4 on the SDB?

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from KMG-365:

Good Morning, I was able to get some pictures of the front and back of the SDB.

Nothing out of the ordinary in the pictures.

How did you go taking voltage measurements of pins 4 and 6 of the U4 chip on the solenoid driver board?

BTW, don't bother bending the transistor leads over when soldering them in, it only makes life harder next time you need to remove them adding to the risk of damaging the solder pads.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from KMG-365:

Pin 4 was 2vdc and Pin 6 was next to nothing, varying amounts of millivolts.

When input pin 6 of U4 is at zero volts, the downstream result is that transistor Q35 will switch on and activate the solenoid connected to it.

Can you:
    Power off the game.
    Disconnect the J4 connector from the solenoid driver board.
    Power on the game.
    Wait till the game gets to attract mode (note: no lamps on the playfield will be on) and remeasure those two pins (6 and 4) on U4. Let's find out why pin 6 is at zero volts.

Pin 6 should be near 0.8 volts resulting in pin 4 being near zero volts for the solenoid to stay off.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from KMG-365:

I remeasured U4 at 6 and 4 once i reconnected everything again and pin 6 was 5vdc and pin 4 was 2vdc.

5 volts at pin 6 of U4 on the solenoid driver combo board means that U4 chip has failed. Pin 6 should never go above 0.8 volts and in your case it has internally gone open circuit. The result is that pin 4 is stuck at 2 volts which is constantly activating transistor Q35 and that coil.
    You need to replace that U4 chip. It's a "CA3081" transistor array chip. Good luck!

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from KMG-365:

I got the replacement part for U4. When i was removing the faulty one i noticed that pin 10 and 11 are soldered together. Im unable to tell from my print if they are supposed to me like that or if it is an error. are you able to let me know if 10 an 11 are or are not soldered together?

The schematic doesn't show any use of the internal transistor at pins 11 and 12 of U4, so the connection between pin 10 and 11 was unlikely to have caused any issue. If you're saying it was a solder bridge between the pins, then I wouldn't be soldering those legs together.

Downstream from pin 10 of U4 is the open gate coil driven by transistor Q36.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-gold-ball-not-acting-golden?tu=Quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.