You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180114_150527 (resized).jpg
GB_RectifierBoard (resized).jpg
GoldBall_Backbox (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

We are in the process of resurrecting a Bally Gold Ball and have hit a bump in the road regarding the backbox lights. The lights that should always be on to illuminate the artwork are not working. All of them. The lights in the backbox for tilt/rolling a million/match etc work as expected, it's just the ones that should always be on. We have already rehabed rectifier board, checked all fuses - good, traced wires from rectifier to backbox & sockets and have continuity from rectifier board to the light sockets, and replaced bulbs with known good. We've run out of great ideas, and googled the fool out of this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
G.

GoldBall_Backbox (resized).jpgGoldBall_Backbox (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Any voltage at J3, pins 10 and 11 on the rect bd? Are those pins ( male and female) burnt?
Is there continuity from those pins back to J1 pins 1 and 2 (gen illum return)?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Validpowerdetect:

Any voltage at J3, pins 10 and 11 on the rect bd? Are those pins ( male and female) burnt?
Is there continuity from those pins back to J1 pins 1 and 2 (gen illum return)?

Valid -

1, Yes, there is voltage J3(10,11) - 15.5, 10.9 respectively.
2. No burnt pins on the board - looks good. Checked all again just to be sure.
3. Continuity back to J1(1), but J1(2) does not host wire. (photo)GB_RectifierBoard (resized).jpgGB_RectifierBoard (resized).jpg

G.

#4 6 years ago

Please disregard my suggestions. I was operating from the wrong schematic.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Validpowerdetect:

Please disregard my suggestions. I was operating from the wrong schematic.

I have days like that too.....

#6 6 years ago

Problem found - stud mounted triac on plate under transformer. Anyone know where to get these, or a possible replacement. When you google it you just seem to find a lot of folks looking for them, and that they are out of production.

Bally E-585-67

20180114_150527 (resized).jpg20180114_150527 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

As a follow up -

When we last checked in with our heroes we were circling around a problem with GI lighting for the backboard that had been traced to the TRIACs in the lower box. After reading several threads here and elsewhere that the TRIACs in this machine were over-engineered for the task at hand and the collective, in general, felt them to be fairly close to infallible we decided to take a closer look b4 just replacing them. When we broke down the TRIACs we found surface rust / patina between the washer and the bottom plate in the box. A good cleaning with a wire brush to all offended parties, reassemble, and what do you know - Lights! So, the problem was @ the point of the TRIACs, but they just needed a bit of scrubbing after 30+ years.

Thanks to all that participated!

G.

#8 6 years ago

Good find graab defo need those Triacs working on Goldball for the flashing effect when the gold ball ejects! For the record I (and coincidentally a local buddy to me with a Goldball) had the same problem and in both cases it was the MOC3011 optocoupler mounted on the GI flasher PCB in the backbox gone bad.

What are the 2 wrong bumper caps you have from? I have 1 wrong on mine when I got it, it has one from EBD took me ages to notice, they must be relatively rare.

#9 6 years ago

astyy - I had to laugh when you asked about the bumper caps - I wondered if anyone would notice. Those are our temporary caps from Medusa. Our GB only had 2 original caps when we picked it up, and 1 was broken. This was the closest we could find to stick on there until we get replacements. I actually scanned the top of one of the original caps, cleaned/vectored the scan, and dropped it off with a local sign shop that does custom signs/labels and they are cutting us some of the originals to the proper dimension to adhere on some caps we ordered with no graphics on them. If you need the vectored graphic to take to a local printer PM me and I will send you a copy when I get everything from the shop later this week.

2 hardest things to find thus far when it comes to GB - the bumper caps, and the bar/shield & Gold (metal) target that goes over the 3 targets that advance the letters for GB. Am thinking we are going to have to design that one as well.

G.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from graab:

and the bar/shield & Gold (metal) target that goes over the 3 targets

Yer cracked on mine too, why don't we take this general machine chat over to the new Gold Ball club
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goldball-the-future-of-pinball-has-just-arrived

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-gold-ball-backbox-gi-lights-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.