(Topic ID: 191475)

Bally Globetrotters tech- a few switches appear out. Board issue?

By rufessor

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rufessor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi all

My globetrotters is now acting a bit odd.

Full disclosure- I suspect I did it while adjusting a sling switch and possibly shorting across a sling solenoid (but maybe this is not it as problem is dissociated from this area). I was gaping the slings to prevent a little jitter that was happening and I had power on to test gap but playfield up and jumped ketal from switch to I think- the coil. No fuse blew and maybe it was even in my head but I thought I heard something when i did this (not a solenoid more like a mechanical switch close or open). I also adjusted the game settings to go to 3 credits per 2 coins (game off doing this). When i powered on and played a game...

... the left and bottom pop bumpers are not activating when I close the switch and the slam dunk shot is also not sensing a hit (right pop is fine and lights are fine everywhere). In the self test both pop bumper solenoids pull in when they are supposed to. In the self test its telling me switch 35 is stuck- thats the slam dunk shot and that switch is clearly not closed.

Any clues or more information I can provide to assist troubleshooting. Game plays and operates flawlessly otherwise.

I can see on schematics how the pops are controlled but not how the Game senses switch closures and board stuff is beyond me- so if its likely a board I will just test to ensure thats the case and get it repaired- suggestions for excellent board service if its needed will be welcomed (if it comes to that).

#2 6 years ago

Oh- I know switch 35 is open. Multi meter across shows no continuity until I touch target- so its sounding like a board thing- ish- maybe.

But I dont know SS as well as my EM's and can rebuild sound board caps etc with no fear- dont have test components for logic circuits but otherwise can check anything needed- I think.

#3 6 years ago

Wondering if this could all be due to a diode on a coil being bad?

#4 6 years ago

Morning Bump for the SS tech crowd. I know your out there!

#5 6 years ago

You may have a bad switch diode on the slam dunk that is causing the problem, so if you can replace that switch or its diode and put on a new capacitor, that might solve it. Make sure that it is wired up correctly too.

After that, it does sound like an mpu board issue. Perhaps a connection is really fatigued. I would pull & reseat the connectors, then I would check continuity from the switches to the board.

I cant wait to play it

#6 6 years ago

I went through the game and although it was playing perfectly up until it was not, I discovered that numerous caps are bad and at least one switch diode is also bad. The cap on the switch showing closed in the switch test is bad- so thats at least a possibility... but I dont think I am out of the woods on the board yet- the two non working pop bumpers (switch, coil works in coil test) are not in the same row or column of the bad switch...

for now, I have ordered parts and will spend a few hours replacing numerous diodes and caps- throughout the game. They all look original and although I have had the game for a couple months I had not gone through and tested these and I should have. So- time to do it the right way- and I will see if that brings it back....

Will post back with news when all diodes/caps are in and working. That will at least protect the board from future insult.

4 weeks later
#7 6 years ago

Swapped out the caps on each of the pop bumpers and target switch that were non functional- Back in business- those caps did NOT test as an open circuit but must have been bleeding enough to cause issues with the switch matrix. Diodes all are fine (test fine- working well).

Glad it was the easy solution and not a board.

Been playing it a good bit and I think I finally got the rule set programmed that makes the game the most fun with the right level of difficulty. This is a great game- there is a reason it has stoof the test of time!

Cannot wait to finish up the Playboy restoration and get the playfield torn down to clear coat this- the inserts have all sunk and it messes with the ball between the slings and so not perfect gameplay but still fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-globetrotters-tech-a-few-switches-appear-out-board-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.