View topic image gallery

20180914_205244 (resized).jpg
20180914_205237 (resized).jpg
IMG_9046 (resized).JPG
db3ec6a0-676a-4d09-87db-2e9f0d895017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20161030_194746 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi,
I'm restoring a Bally BOPP, and I'm wondering where to get the GI braid from.
On Digikey, which is my first stop for generic parts, they sell it by the 100 ft, and the cheapest one I think might do the job is this:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/techflex/MBN0.06SV100/1030-1303-ND/5180699
Might not be that bad a choice, considering they are cheap on shipping compared to US sources, but still wanted to check.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Phil

#3 7 years ago

Thank you! Will see how that adds up with the shipping... at least I now know the exact product.

#4 7 years ago

Phil -

According to the link that is a tubular braid (I think it is going to be more like a sheath of sorts). I believe you are looking for 1/4" flat braided cable.

At first I thought you were talking about the smaller braid stapled to the underside of the PF. I have searched many electronics and wire distributors for that and it looks like pinrestore is one of the few places to get it.

-scott

#5 7 years ago

Just picked up 100 ft from pinball life myself.

#6 7 years ago

1/4" flat braided TINNED copper.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Phil -
According to the link that is a tubular braid (I think it is going to be more like a sheath of sorts). I believe you are looking for 1/4" flat braided cable.
At first I thought you were talking about the smaller braid stapled to the underside of the PF. I have searched many electronics and wire distributors for that and it looks like pinrestore is one of the few places to get it.
-scott

Yep that's what I'm talking about. The kind stapled under the pf.

#9 7 years ago

Sorry, I started the thread at work and wasn't looking at the machine. It's not braided, after all... this here is the stuff.

IMG_20161030_194746 (resized).jpgIMG_20161030_194746 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Personally, I use 1/8" flat tinned braid for the lighting....just like the 1/4" ground braid , but half as wide.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

1/4" flat braided TINNED copper.

no this is cabinet earth braid mike he wants playfield wire.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

no this is cabinet earth braid mike he wants playfield wire.

Yeah, I just saw that in his last post with the picture.....looks like it's the multi-stranded, twisted type.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Yeah, I just saw that in his last post with the picture.....looks like it's the multi-stranded, twisted type.

yeah it is. we've got it here and you no doubt have it in china but none of that helps op in canada sadly

#15 7 years ago

Turns out they have the exact stuff at my work. I'll see if I can score a few feet, and if not I'll see if I can order through them.

#16 7 years ago

Anixter Brothers Inc. or Northern Wire & Cable.

#17 7 years ago

Dang,
the stuff at work doesn't seem to be tinned, solder just won't stick to it...

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Dang,
the stuff at work doesn't seem to be tinned, solder just won't stick to it...

Might be steel or aluminium wire rather than tinned copper?

#19 7 years ago

Probably, or maybe it's got some coating.
Shipping from pinrestore looks reasonable so I guess I'll go with them and order some more goodies at the same time.

Thanks for the help folks.

#20 7 years ago

An anonymous whistleblower tells me that this is a good replacement, in its 20 lbs rated version:
https://www.lowes.ca/picture-hangers/the-hillman-group-122067-mirrorpicture-hanging-cord_g1192525.html?searchTerm=picture-wire

We don't have a Lowe's up here, but I'll check local hardware stores for an equivalent...

#21 7 years ago

I'm looking for the same stuff and I'm in Canada too... how many feet do you figure you need for the playfield and backbox? There is a bunch of stuff from that site I wouldn't mind picking up.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I'm looking for the same stuff and I'm in Canada too... how many feet do you figure you need for the playfield and backbox? There is a bunch of stuff from that site I wouldn't mind picking up.

Playfield braid is different from backbox/cabinet braid. The Lowes 20lb wire is used in the pic below. I have done a few PF swaps and it works well.

db3ec6a0-676a-4d09-87db-2e9f0d895017 (resized).jpegdb3ec6a0-676a-4d09-87db-2e9f0d895017 (resized).jpeg

#23 7 years ago

I'll check lowes out in Burlington for it... I thought the braid for the lights in the backbox for the backglass used the same stuff as the playfield? Just thought it was the braid running throughout the cabinet that was 1/4" flat.

#24 7 years ago

Sorry, you are right about the backbox lamp panel braid....I automatically thought of the ground braid from cabinet to head.

#25 7 years ago

roar you are correct...the braid on the backside of the lightboard in the backbox is identical to the braid on the underside of the PF.

There is, however, one strip of 1/4" flat that runs across the entire width of the back box bottom that connects the left and right side of the aluminum panel in the backbox to each other and provides the attachment for the grounding braid that comes up from the cabinet.

-scott

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Playfield braid is different from backbox/cabinet braid. The Lowes 20lb wire is used in the pic below. I have done a few PF swaps and it works well.

Looks neat!

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Sorry, you are right about the backbox lamp panel braid....I automatically thought of the ground braid from cabinet to head.

Follow-up question, where did you get your lamp sockets, those all look brand new! Just checked some of the US re-sellers and those suckers aren't cheap when you choose to replace them all.

#28 7 years ago

Minute Man Electronics will give you the best selection/price that I have found.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Follow-up question, where did you get your lamp sockets, those all look brand new! Just checked some of the US re-sellers and those suckers aren't cheap when you choose to replace them all.

I got some years ago from the US . I have yet to find a Canadian supplier with stock or a US supplier with good prices.

#31 7 years ago

Finally got this stuff at a local hardware store for 2.50$ / 12 ft.
Looks just like the real deal and solder seems to stick to it pretty well so it looks like a good alternative. I'll let you guys know when I'm done routing it.

IMG_9046 (resized).JPGIMG_9046 (resized).JPG

1 year later
#32 5 years ago

I'll add to this thread, the Hillman "Braided Mirror Cord" looks to be a good option for redoing the backbox lights, able to soldier to it without much issue. I had purchased some other picture hanging wire and it could not be soldiered to, stainless steel I guess... could spot weld it to the lamp sockets. But this of course sort of ruins the lamp socket spring.

I'll be ordering new lamp sockets from pbresource.com (part number A1363) to redo the backbox light board.

This stuff is a "lot thicker" than the OE stuff, but at $1 per foot replacement cost VS 10 feet for $4, I'm OK with it.

20180914_205237 (resized).jpg20180914_205237 (resized).jpg20180914_205244 (resized).jpg20180914_205244 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 179.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-gi-braid-where-to-get-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.