2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by UofG2000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1866-etc-Go-etc (resized).jpg
    BackglassLit (resized).jpg
    IMG_3662 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3661 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

Hi

Is there an increased or decreased value to German versions of Pinball machines. I have a Bally Campus Queen but it is all in German. No bells/chimes on it. Value based on personal preference? Perhaps people want to collect the German version? Any ideas on number produced or is it included in the overall production run?

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Germans seem to like them. Not so much the rest of the world is my experience.

#3 2 years ago

Funnily enough, I have 3x German Ballys down here in NZ.

Fireball
    Firecracker
    4M BC

And none of them came from Germany! All came from the USA ... so they were made in Chicago, shipped to Germany, sold back to the USA, then shipped to NZ! High mileage games!

rd

IMG_3661 (resized).JPG

IMG_3662 (resized).JPG

#4 2 years ago

In my experience, German versions do not typically add value to games that were available in the US, regardless if they share a name.

Now, some collectors put a personal premium on games. For example, Alligators are rare in the US and a collector may place a slightly higher value on the game due to its rarity. But to a casual collector, Bally Alligators and Gators are the same game. So a change in title is not enough to entice them to spend more for one version or the other.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part, the German version is worth the same amount as the US version.

At least, in my experience.

Marcus

2 months later
    #6 2 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I live near Kitchener Ontario which used to be called Berlin before World War 1. Maybe there will be a German family who wants it!

BackglassLit (resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago

On this side of the ocean (Europe) German versions are just as common as the English versions.
    Gameplay is the same and after a while you get used to terms like "gekippt" for "tilt" and "spiel aus" instead of "game over".
    A local operator over here used to change backglasses for getting a more appealling game sometimes over the years, so it could be you had a German Capersville with a English backglass.

In money terms?
    German ones where always a little less popular over the English ones, but nowadays you are sometimes glad you have one of your favorite games and it doesn't matter.
    A good friend of my has bought a Fireball German version and is very happy with it, it didn't matter if it was German, it is a Fireball, or Feuerkügel in German (or something like that...)

#8 2 years ago

I own two German Ballys
    Fireball and 4MilBC
    and I am happy mine are the german models
    as opposed to english.
    But to the question of resale value, it is probably a push.

Hard to say what the quantity produced is,
    but generally believed that the total production run numbers
    listed in ipdb.org
    relate to total production regardless of domestic or export.

ipdb has added some new info on production runs for Williams E/M games (from the Kordek archives)
    where it is showing that about half of most MultiPlayer models produced went overseas.

#9 2 years ago

I would take either version as long as the machine price was equal to condition.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from UofG2000:

Thanks for the input everyone. I live near Kitchener Ontario which used to be called Berlin before World War 1. Maybe there will be a German family who wants it!

Use to love getting lunch at the Blue Moon in Petersburg. One day I'll have to stop in.

#11 2 years ago

I love all the 60's Bally pins, couldn't care less if they are from here or a re-import.
    but to the OP's point.
    I have never nor will I ever pay Extra for a re-import of any make or title. It adds nothing in my once humble opinion.

My 2c

Sir Brian of Ortonville

#12 2 years ago

I have a German language version of "Band Wagon". I'd prefer the English language version, but you can't be picky when it comes to some of these tough to find games.

#13 2 years ago

Response from a German on German language games

Being in Germany, we perceive the German versions to be something a bit more special. I personally assume, that less then half of all machines of any particular type featuring German localization were made were German - thus they should actually be relatively rare.

Over here in Germany, about half of what is seen in collections and on the market for my favorite Bally EMs from the late 60s and 70s, appears to be German language. Thus being "rare" seems to apply mainly ouside Germany.

Somehow, I compare this with some "Italian" games - which in contrast to the German ones often had a different title and in principle count as separate games. Here the appreciation seems to be a bit more obvious.

Paying the same price for a "rare" game looks like a gap in market pricing: typically people pay a pretty serious premium for rare games - where this seems to be an exception/opportunity?!

Axel

#14 2 years ago

I'm in Belgium and traditionally german versions were less valuable than the USA version.
    It doesn't matter much (usually em games are not worth a lot, fireball and nipit are exceptions), and as prices are low and interest also low, selling a german version of a game may be even more difficult than selling the USA version of an EM.

I have never heard of anyone paying a premium for a german version because worldwide there are less produced and thus it being more rare... people here want the original USA version.

#15 2 years ago

I've got a German Cosmos with an English (repro) backglass.
    Should be worth a fortune don't you think?

A lot of games got trashed in the 70's because of the sometimes poor quality in paint, as well on backglasses as on the outside.
    Lot of games got a woodlike kind of "wallpaper" covering the flaking paint on the outside.

I've got two Cosmos games, both backglasses are more then flaky, the paint falls off by looking at them (got two repros now), one is the outside original paint, one side is flaking, the other machine has no painting at all.

Still: nice games to play, it didn't matter to me what the language was on the game, have a Aces High in German and still love to play it, so...for people who enjoy these games it doesn't matter.
    Maybe to a newbie it is important, till they discover that the game is the same (produced in Chicago!)

#16 2 years ago

Hi
    my writing is not about "value of german models" --- it is more about "rare models".

I live in Switzerland, Europe (south of Germany, north of Italy) - sometimes (not very often) somebody tries to sell an Big Indian "ULTRA-rare, high price" because it is an "Big INJUN" - see http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=257&picno=41545 . Read the "Notes:" in ipdb about the South Dakota Indians complaining --- at that time Gottlieb simply decided to ship the "Big Injuns already made" to EUROPE (nobody complains - saving money for the company). So in the USA the Big INJUN might be rare - it is not so rare in Europe.

Really rare is the "Cosmint": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4981 --- read the "Notes:" ...
    Really rare is the "Red 'N' Go": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6143 --- read the "Notes:" - ipdb does not write "story as the Cosmint-story" because: I know a person who claims "HAVE seen a slotmachine (like the ones in my JPG) having the name "STOP-N-GO" so the Swiss manufacturer made Williams make for the SWISS-Market: "Red n Go" --- we searched for a picture of the slotmachine - no luck - so ipdb cannot write the story ...

Really rare is the "Aces Top": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5236 - I have seen one of them - the Backglass looked "original, not repainted" - I do not know a story to "Aces Top", greetings Rolf

1 month later
    #17 2 years ago

Thanks for the info and feedback. Well my German Campus Queen is for sale, need to make room!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    $ 14.95
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 209.00
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 11,500.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside