8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by gottguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fflint_18.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

My Bally Flip Flop was my first EM game. I learned allot from it and it really got me into the hobby.

It has a colorful back glass and a very unusual PF layout which makes it very unique.

But it has always been a temperamental girl.

When cold it seems to run slow. Others have the same complaint, but I still tried to solve it. Including a new motor and gear box for the score motor.

Everything else that needed fixing was your typical EM stuff.

Except starting.

When I first turned it on it may take 3 or 4 tries to get a game to start. Score reels would all zero, but the game over light would not go out and ball one would not light.

To be honest I figured it was because of the slow score motor.

Well a buddy of mine with a horse farm really wants to buy her. I really hate to let go of her because she was my first, but I really don't love her.

So I wanted to really clean it up again and try and solve the starting issue.

I traced things to the game over latch relay.

First thing I noticed was the armature on the release coil had some corrosion on both the magnet head and the plate. I took them apart and cleaned them up.

And then cleaned al, the contacts on the relay.

That fixed the starting issue and cause me to lose the ball in play and what player was up light.

Turns out the contacts which turn off the game over light and provide power to the ball in play are very touchy.

Fixed that.

Then I found that the latch release coil that I messed with is very touchy.

I had to find the perfect sweet spot for that coil to pull the armature to release the latch and signal game over. Seems like the plate can move too far from the magnet very easily and then the coil can't pull the plate in and latch the switches.

I tweaked it and it appears good now. I'll play it for a couple days make sure everything is okay before sending it to a new home.

The real reason for selling is to make room for the Spirit of 76 which is sitting in my shed awaiting a new place.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fflint_18.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-game-over-latches-are-really-tricky?tu=fflint_18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.