(Topic ID: 227285)

Bally Future Spa MPU 2 Blinks Won't Start Issue

By canoncitypb

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I am working on a Bally Future Spa and magically the game stopped booting up. I will get two blinks then nothing. I tested all voltages from the transformer to the rectifier board to the driver board to the MPU. All voltages seem within range.

If I unplug J2 on the MPU the board will go through all blinks at startup and will start a game, but only the flippers will work. If I ground TP7 on the MPU board (while trying to test the voltage, the game will go through the blinks and start up. However, when you play a game, the features are mixed (left kickout lane will trigger pop bumper). Once the game is up, I get the correct voltage at TP7. On the times it doesn't immediately restart when grounded, I have less voltage at TP7.

I repinned the ground and voltage sections on J4 female plug, refreshed the solder on the board at pins 18 and 19 and did a ground wire mod suggested on another site to strengthen the ground connection.

The board doesn't have any corrosion. The battery was replaced with a memory capacitor.

I replaced the 5101 at U8.

since the connector at J2 seems to be related, I was going to repin the female connector there.

I have swapped in a working rectifier, then a working driver board, then a working alltec universal MPU all with the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 5 years ago

I guess after thinking about it, I can't be grounding it when I am using the multimeter. Perhaps there is a charge built up that pushes the voltage over the edge. It is at 1.94 when it gets two blinks. When I disconnect J2, I get 2.84 which is much closer to the 3vdc the schematic says should be there.

Any suggestions?

#3 5 years ago

Game is behaving like something is shorted with the PIA wiring and the fact the board will boot when J2 is removed is a valuable clue. Since you know J2 does something the next step is to open up the Schematic and look at what J2 does. Looking at this myself I see J2 is the playfield switch matrix. So I would start at that wiring and look for a short. If you can't find one you may have to pull all the wires from J2 and reconnect them one by one until you narrow it down to the wire or wires that stop the board from booting.
Before doing anything though tr swapping U10 and U11 and see if that makes a difference.

#4 5 years ago

That was my next step. I repinned the female J2 plug tonight with no luck. I get the same result with my alltek board, so I am guessing it is something in the wiring.

do you mean replace u10 and u12 or remove one and put it in place of the other? Why would I do that?

thanks,

#5 5 years ago

U10 and U11 (not U12) are both the same 6821 chip. You can swap them.

#6 5 years ago

figured it out. You were right. It was a short. the roll over switch on the left side was connected to the GI lights under the sling. Once I bent those back into place, everything is fine.

Thanks for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 169.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-future-spa-mpu-2-blinks-won-t-start-issue?hl=canoncitypb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.