IMG20170718190701 (resized).jpg
DSCF2803 (resized).JPG
DSCF2804 (resized).JPG
DSCF2802 (resized).JPG
DSCF2800 (resized).JPG
IMG20170717144004 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi
I was hoping someone who has a Future Spa or similar could take a photo of the three connectors for the rectifier board and also the top right connector on the driver board. Mine had some horrible hacks and I don't know which colour wire goes where. I looked at a rectifier help page online for another Bally of the era but the wire colours were different. I've replaced the rectifier board with a nice new Weebly board. Oh, I'm still chasing the rectifier mounting plate if anyone has one to sell... Thanks.

IMG20170717144048 (resized).jpgIMG20170717144048 (resized).jpg

IMG20170715132540 (resized).jpgIMG20170715132540 (resized).jpg

IMG20170715132508 (resized).jpgIMG20170715132508 (resized).jpg

IMG20170717144004 (resized).jpgIMG20170717144004 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

this is pretty much 'the' source for hooking up these boards: http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/as-2518-18-wiring.htm

also look at page 34 here and you will find the color codes and positions for connector J3 on the SDB: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/974/Bally_1979_Future_Spa_Manual.pdf
The 2 digit number is the color code i.e. 50 = White/No Trace so a white wire, 45 = Green with white trace

Good luck, you've got quite a project there

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

this is pretty much 'the' source for hooking up these boards: http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/as-2518-18-wiring.htm
also look at page 34 here and you will find the color codes and positions for connector J3 on the SDB: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/974/Bally_1979_Future_Spa_Manual.pdf
The 2 digit number is the color code i.e. 50 = White/No Trace so a white wire, 45 = Green with white trace

Steve Kulpa's page was the one I mentioned that has different colour wiring to mine...that's why I was hoping someone with FS could take a pic. I'm not great at reading schematics but I'll check out the manual...thanks.

#4 6 years ago

Okay, let's try to make some sense out of your mess. First, the driver board pic you supplied doesn't look like mine. I have two driver boards, a -22 for solenoids and a -23 for lamps. I'm not sure which connector you need a pic of and for which driver board.

Here are some pics of the three power supply (transformer) board connectors:

DSCF2800 (resized).JPGDSCF2800 (resized).JPG

DSCF2803 (resized).JPGDSCF2803 (resized).JPG

DSCF2804 (resized).JPGDSCF2804 (resized).JPG

DSCF2802 (resized).JPGDSCF2802 (resized).JPG

Please note that some of the wires have been cut and spliced with different colour wires. Look upstream to see the original colour.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks Pecos, got it all sorted now. I attached a pic of the board and my wires now in order ready to pin. Thank you for sending me those pictures. Can you tell me if the top right driver board connector arrangement in my pic is correct and is your rectifier board held on with just the four plastic tabs? I'll send a pic when it's all back together...still trying to find a mounting plate for the rectifier board if anyone has one.

IMG20170718190701 (resized).jpgIMG20170718190701 (resized).jpg
IMG20170718190234 (resized).jpgIMG20170718190234 (resized).jpg
IMG20170718190226 (resized).jpgIMG20170718190226 (resized).jpg
IMG20170718190306 (resized).jpgIMG20170718190306 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Can someone post a picture of the top right connectors on the driver board showing the wiring order so that I can check that mine are in the correct order as a couple of mine weren't connected? Thanks.

#7 6 years ago

the4horse, I looked for a .100" connector with the same number/color of wires and I couldn't find one in my Future Spa. Maybe I just missed it. That driver board may not be original. Can you please post a picture of the backbox and another picture of the driver board so someone here on Pinside can figure out what is going on with your Future Spa boardset?

#8 6 years ago

That's the connector in the top right corner of the sdb.

#9 6 years ago

Here is a pic of my Future Spa backbox. The upper right board is the Solenoid Driver Board and the lower left board is the Lamp Driver Board:

DSCF2816 (resized).JPGDSCF2816 (resized).JPG

Cheddar, thought SDB was sound board but realized that you meant solenoid driver board. Here is a pic of that upper right connector on the Solenoid Driver Board. It's a completely different board than in the4horse's pics:

DSCF2817 (resized).JPGDSCF2817 (resized).JPG

DSCF2821 (resized).JPGDSCF2821 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

the4horse, I looked for a .100" connector with the same number/color of wires and I couldn't find one in my Future Spa. Maybe I just missed it. That driver board may not be original. Can you please post a picture of the backbox and another picture of the driver board so someone here on Pinside can figure out what is going on with your Future Spa boardset?

Hi Pecos,
Thanks for the photos. I've got Ultimate MPU and Driver boards and Weebly Sound and Rectifier boards and original lamp boards. Here's a pic you asked for. The rectifier board is in the silver bag lower left because I don't have the mounting plate for it. Have repinned two of the three rectifier connectors so far...I ran out of pins : )

IMG_20170720_201405.jpgIMG_20170720_201405.jpg

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

I've got Ultimate MPU and Driver boards and Weebly Sound and Rectifier boards and original lamp boards.

Okay, thanks for the pics and explanation. It's finally starting to make sense now. I was confused by the two connectors on the upper right of your Solenoid Driver Board. It looks like someone broke or cut your big connector into two? Anyway, it appears to me that the picture I took of the connector on my board is the one that you need. If you click on it and zoom in you should be able to figure out all of the colours. It would be a good idea to double check your work with the information from the manual that Cheddar linked to for all of the connectors that you have repinned.

Quoted from Cheddar:

I'll say. You are really going to enjoy your Future Spa when you get it working.

Let me know if you need more pics.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Okay, thanks for the pics and explanation. It's finally starting to make sense now. I was confused by the two connectors on the upper right of your Solenoid Driver Board. It looks like someone broke or cut your big connector into two? Anyway, it appears to me that the picture I took of the connector on my board is the one that you need. If you click on it and zoom in you should be able to figure out all of the colours. It would be a good idea to double check your work with the information from the manual that Cheddar linked to for all of the connectors that you have repinned.

I'll say. You are really going to enjoy your Future Spa when you get it working.
Let me know if you need more pics.

Thanks, I'm in the home stretch now...new boards and only two connectors to go and the wires to solder to the back of the Reccy board and I'm done. I can't wait to play it!

#13 6 years ago

Why not go to IPDB and down load the manual?
Also K's Arcade sells the rectifier mound plate.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

Why not go to IPDB and down load the manual?
Also K's Arcade sells the rectifier mound plate.

Downloaded the manual, seems to be some pages missing. I think they only sell as a 'bundle' with transformer/rectifier assembly for $249. They are also out of stock.

1 month later
#15 6 years ago

All fixed and playing great!
Btw...is there a setting to disable/enable the knocker unit on Ultimate boards as it's not firing.

#16 6 years ago

When I got my Future Spa, the knocker wasn't working. Found that a wire was one slot off from where it was supposed to go in its connector. I forget what the wire color is but it was the J2 connector on the solenoid driver. The wire was stuffed in pin 4 (marked "n/u") and should have been in pin 5 slot (marked "knocker"). Who knows, may have been wrong since coming off the line?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

When I got my Future Spa, the knocker wasn't working. Found that a wire was one slot off from where it was supposed to go in its connector. I forget what the wire color is but it was the J2 connector on the solenoid driver. The wire was stuffed in pin 4 (marked "n/u") and should have been in pin 5 slot (marked "knocker"). Who knows, may have been wrong since coming off the line?

I'll have to check that...when I bought mine the knocker coil was burnt out and one of the wires disconnected so I'm guessing it had caused some grief on the board. I've replaced with new coil and new board and connector replaced on that fifth wire.

2 years later
#18 4 years ago

This is a related question so I thought I’d put it in this thread. I’m getting F4 blowing on my Future Spa rectifier board on start up and when I took it off the mounting plate I saw this orange wire cut off (at right of picture but at the bottom of the board at the back). Can anyone tell me if this should end up anywhere or where it should go to? I can’t find the other end anywhere.

A5519269-84C1-46C3-B075-614809D4A61D (resized).jpegA5519269-84C1-46C3-B075-614809D4A61D (resized).jpeg
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I took it off the mounting plate I saw this orange wire cut off (at right of picture but at the bottom of the board at the back). Can anyone tell me if this should end up anywhere or where it should go to? I can’t find the other end anywhere.

This picture is from a #harlem-globetrotters-on-tour and not a #future-spa, but the wire colors and positions seem to match up.

DSCF3459 (resized).JPGDSCF3459 (resized).JPG

It appears to me that the orange wire doesn't go on the back of the Transformer Board. I'm thinking it came out of one of the connectors. Check your connectors and see if they match up to these:

DSCF3467 (resized).JPGDSCF3467 (resized).JPG

Again, these pictures are from a #harlem-globetrotters-on-tour so the wiring may be different. The Future Spa manual has the wiring diagram with color codes for the A2 Transformer board in it. Use it to double check where that orange wire should go.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/974/Bally_1979_Future_Spa_Manual.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-future-spa-hack-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.