New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276735)

Bally Future Spa - bypassing transistor

By dluth

50 days ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 50 days ago

Can I get the opinion of those more learned than me whether this hack I’ve just done is ok and not likely to break anything?
The lamp on my right spinner wasn’t working on my Future Spa. I identified the issue as the associated transistor and when I looked at it the area around it was a mess. I took it out but I think the holes are wrecked. I couldn’t even solder a new one in. I don’t have the skills to fix this.
So my hack idea was to tie the right spinner lamp to the left spinner lamp. They always come on together in this game, never separately. So if the spinners qualify for 1000 a spin, they both light up.
It seems to work great. Any potential issues?

#2 50 days ago

I think the tiny Bally SCRs on the lamp board are only rated for 1 lamp. Use LED bulbs and you would probably be fine since LEDs draw less current. Use non-ghosting LEDs since there is some leakage current on the SCRs.

#3 50 days ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

I think the tiny Bally SCRs on the lamp board are only rated for 1 lamp. Use LED bulbs and you would probably be fine since LEDs draw less current. Use non-ghosting LEDs since there is some leakage current on the SCRs.

Thanks for that. For this one it’s the larger MCR106 which maybe is higher rated? I’ll give some LEDs a go anyway.

#4 50 days ago
Quoted from dluth:

Thanks for that. For this one it’s the larger MCR106 which maybe is higher rated? I’ll give some LEDs a go anyway.

The larger MCR can handle 2

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 149.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside