Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jburas7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello all. I am very new to this so please take it easy on me. I picked up 2 machines from someone a while back and im just getting around to working on them. I have a Stern Stars which i got working recently with the help of a local pinball repairman but id like to get the future spa working on my own. I had to purchase the Alltek MPU board. I got that in and replaced almost all of the connectors ( im waiting on a shipment to complete the rest). The machine turns on. I can put a quarter in and start a game. And in test mode all but 3 Coils fire. But when i play none of the coils work (they will not fire or register any points). I am very new at this and i have some basic understanding of electronics but i cant seem to figure it out. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Ive already checked all of my fuses and the ohms of each coil. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

So in test mode... they cycle through each and fire?

Probably want to check the connector between the MPU and the Solenoid driver board (big board to the right of it). That's J4 on each board... that's how the CPU tells the SDB which coil to fire comes over those pins. Then J2 and J5 on the SDB are the harness to the coils.. mainly J5 for playfield stuff.

Is your Alltek jumpered correctly?
Do you have 43VDC at your coil lugs?

I'm not really familar with the delta between test mode and game... but the driver circuit is pretty simple. Data lines from MPU come in on J4 go through a decoder... then to the transistors.. to the J2 or J5 connectors.

Use pinwiki and check the basics.. like your test voltages on the SDB, and read the coil logic stuff.

#3 6 years ago

I would go into switch test and verify every switch works.

If the coils work correctly in coil test (in correct order according to the manual, and no coils fire twice during one cycle) then you know the MPU is able to communicate with the driver board and all the wiring is good between the MPU and driver, and between the driver and playfield.

The switches tell the MPU to fire the coils and also score points. Connector J2 on the MPU has all of the playfield switch lines so that should be checked. Cabinet switches are on J3 and it sounds like those are working OK.

#4 6 years ago

doth is correct. You do not have a coil problem you have a switch problem. I'll bet the switches that do not work are all on the same strobe or return line. You need to look at the playfield switch schematic and identify the in-common wire for the non functioning switches.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. I should have time tomorrow to look everything over that you guys suggested! Will update you as soon as i check all of that out. Much appreciated.

#6 6 years ago

Okay everyone finally had some time to look at the machine this morning. So I checked the voltage at the coil lugs and it is 44VDC. I put it in test mode and As it goes through coils 2,7, 11 do not fire. Then what i assume is the switch test, when it shows switches 6 and 10 the number 27 appears on another display and for switch 13 the number 74 appears. Trying to make sense of the schematic now. Thanks for all of the help and patience i am trying to learn as i go.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jburas7:

Okay everyone finally had some time to look at the machine this morning. So I checked the voltage at the coil lugs and it is 44VDC. I put it in test mode and As it goes through coils 2,7, 11 do not fire. Then what i assume is the switch test, when it shows switches 6 and 10 the number 27 appears on another display and for switch 13 the number 74 appears. Trying to make sense of the schematic now. Thanks for all of the help and patience i am trying to learn as i go.

Hey I'm 30 minutes away from you and also own a future spa. Small world.

Do you have the manual?

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/974/Bally_1979_Future_Spa_Manual.pdf

Are you sure you're in switch test? Can't tell but you may be in adjustments. You want to get into switch test and then refer to the switch matrix section of the manual. If it's a new board this should be easy to fix (since it's probably not the MPU).

#8 6 years ago

Take the ball out, go into switch test, now press every switch and look at the number displayed.

Make sure the switch you pressed matches the number in the manual.

#9 6 years ago

I just purchased a future spa last week so I will be following your progress, good luck

#10 6 years ago

Coil 2 is the knocker down in the cabinet, #7 is the top center bumper, 11 is the target reset. The others all work? Sounds like a loose wire or bad coil(s). Examine those coils. If they look good and operate by hand and they all have 43v on the yellow wire you can manually trigger them by quickly shorting the tap of the transistor on the solenoid board to ground.
According to the schematic they are Q3-knocker, Q10 center bumper, Q1 DT reset.

#11 6 years ago

Did a switch test for sure - the only switches that do anything at all are 17,22,19,23 and they all match correctly to what they are supposed to be. No other switches do anything when touched. Took the SDU off just to have a look at the back and everything looks good. The only thing missing is the q2 transistor.

Sorry if i am frustrating you guys but im trying just bear with me please im slowly learning and its a lot to take in.

radium small world for sure. Cool to know someone so close has the same machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-future-spa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.