frontier_01 (resized).jpg
IMG_2069 (resized).JPG
IMG_2061 (resized).JPG
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
IMG_2066 (resized).JPG
IMG_2063 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tbgolfen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

My summer break from teaching is here and so it felt like time to start another pinball project. With Getaway (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hsii-restoration-and-customization) having been completed, the wheels have been turning on what game to do next.

Bally Frontier has been on my wish list for many years. Finding a game let alone a decent or NOS playfield has not been easy. Collectors don't seem to want to let these go. One of my friends here locally has been collecting parts for a frontier project for quite some time. He ultimately decided he wasn't going to do it. So to my surprise, I got the email a few months ago offering the playfield and populated playfield for sale. A few years of hunting has come to an end and the project begins.

I purchased a Strikes and Spares as the donor game. Many things on it will need to be modified to accommodate a Frontier but what the heck modifying and customizing is half the fun!

So here is how the project begins.

IMG_0040_(resized).JPGIMG_0040_(resized).JPG
IMG_0042_(resized).JPGIMG_0042_(resized).JPG
IMG_0041_(resized).JPGIMG_0041_(resized).JPG
IMG_0044_(resized).JPGIMG_0044_(resized).JPG
IMG_0045_(resized).JPGIMG_0045_(resized).JPG

IMG_0052_(resized).JPGIMG_0052_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

IMG_0327_(resized).JPGIMG_0327_(resized).JPG

#4 8 years ago

I knew the cabinet was rough but you never realize how bad something is until you get to know it more intimately. It is going to take a lot of work. IMG_0148.JPGIMG_0148.JPG
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I am on a similar path with a frontier. I got through the basic cabinet prep and have a working project now.

Keep me up on your progress! Always fun to borrow ideas.

#6 8 years ago

Stripping went as expected. Joints were glued and nailed. In addition, I glued wood dowels into the large holes and sanded flat. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#8 8 years ago

Each project gives me the opportunity to try new products and steps. I used evercoat instead of bondo. The gallon is quite a bit more expensive but what a difference. So much so I will never use bondo again. It sanded without clogging and feathers out beautifully.

#9 8 years ago

I also changed the primer this time from rattle can to 2-part polyester hi-fill primer.

#10 8 years ago

And of course, priming only means you get to start over and sand and fill. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#13 8 years ago

Here are some pics of final primer coat. Hit it after these pics with a quick 400. This primer is worth the money. What you spend in money you save in time. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#14 8 years ago

Now the painful part is over and the fun begins again. Spraying color finally feels like progress.
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#15 8 years ago

4 coats later and the cabinet is blue.

#17 8 years ago

For me, Frontier's cabinet suffers badly in the art department. This pic is from IPDB.

#18 8 years ago

It is time to modify and get creative but try and keep with the original theme and feel of pinball. Kiwi Terry's assistance was called upon once again to work some magic.

So these next few pics will catch you up on where the cabinet artwork currently sits. Lots more progress expected this week.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Very cool, if this turns out anywhere close to your Getaway...she'll be a stunner.

Thanks. I hope so too. With Kiwi Terry behind the gun, I know I am in good hands.

#21 8 years ago

So while Terry works on the art I have turned to the playfield. The two main steps here are stripping the populated playfield and clear coating the new one.

#22 8 years ago

Started clear coating the playfield. Shot 2 coats.

#23 8 years ago

Since I started with a strikes and spares one of the modification was to make a light board. I took the pic off IPDB and enlarged it and used the backglass as a ref.

#24 8 years ago

The good news is the test fit with the backglass in went well. All should be good and now it is ready to be wired. Of course this will be a pain considering I will have to modify the harness as well.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from pabloshootagain:

Do you have a backglass ?

I have a backglass. If anyone has plastics I could sure use some!!!

#28 8 years ago

The black line between the yellow and blue in frontier was added and completes the script. The pics I took didn't turn out. I will take some more tomorrow.

Now that the script is finalized, the attention turns to the predators.

#31 8 years ago

Here is a small update.

#32 8 years ago

Fixed the inserts today with black paint. The next coat of clear will hide the difference in gloss. A little more to go. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from BanditBen:

Very nice work you are doing!

Thanks!

Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Nice work, looking forward to seeing the finished cabinet.

I think you know a little about the process.

Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Looks awesome. Frontier is one of the best. I would have a tough time getting rid of Viking, Rolling Stones (With power ball), Mystic and Frontier. No question. As this point I will never sell them.

Couldn't agree more and your game looks awesome!

#42 8 years ago

Some very minor adjustments have been made to the playfield.

Before:

After:

It only seems reasonable to have eyes!

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Would it be possibel for you to scan this playfield once you are all done with it.
It could come in handy for others doing restore work on Frontier in the future (esp those with playfields that have bigger issues).
I would be happy to chip in for the cost of a good scanning.

I wish I would have thought about this prior to clearing. It should be possible. Let me check into it.

#51 7 years ago

There is a place in LA that will do a 300dpi scan for $127 plus tax or 600dpi for $223 plus tax.

#52 7 years ago

Here is a before and after clear. Notice how my brush skills look no better than a third grader. However, after the clear they disappear.

Before:

After:

#53 7 years ago

More progress on the mountain lion.

#58 7 years ago

Put light behind it. I am not sure you will be happy. They have to be perfect especially with light behind it. The black has got to be spot on.

Did all the touch ups on a light board. We are good.

#66 7 years ago

Thanks to Jady and his design on Shapeways my shrouds arrived today and they look awesome.

#69 7 years ago

I agree it would be tough to make a database like that happen. The loophole although potentially controversial would be for the purpose of art.

#75 7 years ago

Kiwi Terry will be at Coast Airbrush in Anaheim today-Sun doing a demonstration. I believe he will be airbrushing a manickin. It is definitely worth the visit if you live here locally. Unfortunately, it means frontier is on hold for this weekend.

My attention has been turned to cleaning everything and preparing for polishing and coating.

Parts have been ordered and should be getting them early next week.

#77 7 years ago

Here is the finished mountain lion unmasked.

#79 7 years ago

Another art update.

#86 7 years ago

Thanks. Kiwi Terry is so fun to watch work.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Better man than me... I would have made decals... If the art ever got nicked or scratched I would puke

None of this project makes sense.
My first restore was Harlem. I didn't want anything to happen to it and use to cringe when I heard a slap save. The worry just caused me the kind of stress I don't need. I'm over it for the most part (still can't stand a drink on the glass). Now it's slap away.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from jay:

A reformed Burkard... I had no idea.

You and Brent have trained me well!

#90 7 years ago

Another step in the process. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#92 7 years ago

I always like how airbrushing is about pushing and pulling colors to create detail. Here is an example around the mouth.

#93 7 years ago

Color sanded the playfield And buffed it today. First time through didn't get rid of all the fine line scratches and orange peel. I will do a little more sanding this weekend.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I bet if you'd sanded with proper hand-mind coordination those scratches would have vanished.

We all know I lack eye, mind, hand coordination.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Are you planning at all on scanning the PF?, I know of several fellows that would benefit greatly
so stunned by the attention to detail, again... Great Work!!!

Looks like the fundraising didn't work. I have an hp scanner I can stitch together.

#100 7 years ago

Here is the finished bear. Yikes

#104 7 years ago

I was thinking more of a portrait of Bob on the backglass.

#105 7 years ago

Next predator is under way.

#106 7 years ago

Worked on the light board today. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#107 7 years ago

Kiwi Terry is working more today on the wolf.

#108 7 years ago

The next step will take a little more patience as I have to make sure the wiring from the harness is correct. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#110 7 years ago

I am done with seeing pictures as this continues to develop. I want a repaint on my cabinet bad. STOP IT!!!.....

Pictures will cease from here on at your request.

#111 7 years ago

MustangPaul where are you? This thread isn't legit without your participation. Are you lurking?

#113 7 years ago

#116 7 years ago

I'm strangely attracted to Bob now.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Don't forget the side art....

Hilarious!

#120 7 years ago

Small update. Filling in color and then back with the blacks for detail.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

You sir have major artistic talent

All the credit goes to Kiwi Terry as he is the airbrush artist.

Here is another update. Almost finished.

#124 7 years ago

I was excited to spend my first official day off for summer break sanding and buffing. However, civic duty called and I will be serving jury duty today. Maybe terry will send me some pics of progress today to keep my spirits up.

#126 7 years ago

Thanks!

I worked out most of the wiring of the backbox on Sunday. Didn't post any pics yet because I didn't solder it together. Hopefully I will get to it tonight or tomorrow.

I will also be meeting up with my buddy tomorrow to give him the parts to be chromed.

Playfield reassembly could start this weekend if everything goes well with buffing.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Scans First?!?

Thanks. Almost forgot. Lol.

#130 7 years ago

I was talking to a friend over the weekend about the artwork. He was amazed to find out that each pixel is done one by one. He assumed that some fabric or stencil was used to create the fur pattern. After I explained further, he still couldn't imagine someone spending the time to do this tedious work. I shot this very short video to show him. His response, "Really, that's just nuts."

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I always use Dagger Stroke to counter Wu Tang Style.

Your street fighter skils can only be truly appreciated in person. The written word cannot capture such beauty.

#134 7 years ago

Final wolf pic.

#135 7 years ago

The next predator has begun. Kiwi Terry is hating me for picking something with scales as they are very difficult. My suggestion was to paint the color pattern and skip the scales. At which point he told me to leave, as he exclaimed that would be unacceptable. So I quietly left and said I would return tomorrow for a checkup.

#137 7 years ago

#138 7 years ago

Harness attached to the light board. Need to get some matching wire to extend certain ones.

#139 7 years ago

She is coming alive.

I also color sanded and buffed out the playfield. So, I will be scanning it before I begin reassembly. Parts were sent out for chrome. Should get them back next week. Continuing to polish parts in the tumbler.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Is badass too strong a word to describe this cab so far?

It is a work in progress. Hopefully, the background will bring it all nicely together. Terry's work is undeniably awesome. The question is will it all come together to look like a pinball machine and not some decals of animals plastered asymmetrically on the side. We will see.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I have to ask, what does an airbrush job like this cost? Hoping for your sake it is free friend work as he is putting crazy hours and skill into this! So impressed!

Kiwi Terry is a professional airbrush artist and this is his how he makes a living. So the answer is yes I pay him for the project. With Getaway and now Frontier, he consistently goes over the top. I tell him not to do photo realism but more of an animated style and as you can see he doesn't listen. He is not known in the industry for his speed but for his accuracy and detail work. Even though we agree up front on the price, he ends up spending way to much time on it and I end up paying him way more than I promised. I think we both lie to ourselves about the amount of time and money it will take to complete these projects. At least, I know I do!

#143 7 years ago

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

looks amazing!
will the cab be getting cleared over this amazing art?

Indeed

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm ready to fire up the photoshop

PM sent with link to scans.

#150 7 years ago

Began installing new sockets and wire. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#151 7 years ago

More progress today. Here is a before and after. Per Elwin's suggestion switched out the linear flipper mechs for non-linear. Nice improvement!

#153 7 years ago

Wire harness back in place and resoldering has begun.

#154 7 years ago

A little more progress. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#156 7 years ago

The pop bumpers are installed. Finished making my coil wrappers. Only a few more things to button up on the bottom.

#157 7 years ago

Terry is starting on the background today for the cabinet. Here is a teaser sketch. Anybody recognize the geographical location of the sketch?

#159 7 years ago

Indeed. The sketch is of the lower falls of Yellowstone. The park is the only region in the country to contain all 5 of the predators found in the game.

Yellowstone is the furthest south the grizzly bear is found and just about the furthest north the rattlesnake goes. Wolves were reintroduced into the parks a few decades ago but were original inhabitants. Mountain Lions and Eagles have continued to persist (small population) in Yellowstone and are now protected.

#161 7 years ago

So it begins.

#164 7 years ago

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm a little surprised that he did the predators first, then the "frontier". I see how he's masking off the predators, but I guess I'm not that brave.

So Terry's answer to foreground/background order. "It is a fare question. When I first started, I painted the background first. The downside to that was you have a lot of colors coming through the foreground and then you have to chase them back [my words: background has orange and purple running under a foreground element like a face and then you have to even out the colors]. More so, by painting the foreground first you avoid accidents such as tree branch sticking out someone's ear. In addition, by painting the foreground first you can plan your background more harmoniously to the foreground. However, it doesn't matter which direction you go if you have 1 reference. But in this case, we are fusing numerous references. This a preference not a rule."

#170 7 years ago

Terry worked on the trees today for a bit. He usually takes Sunday's off but they were bugging him so he wanted to figure them out.

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:This is insane!!

Seems positive.

Quoted from iepinball:

I told you this on Saturday, but you're completely insane!

Hmm. Feels a little less positive but thanks for being my dealer!

Quoted from Chosen_S:

I would put that pin on a rotating stage in the middle of my house and rope it off

With a disco light hanging over it of course.

Thanks all for encouraging my insanity.

#176 7 years ago

Finished the bottom of the playfield today. Time to flip it over.

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

An amazing job all around...thanks for the great documentation, we really enjoy seeing the process instead of just the money shots when its completed...well done

I have enjoyed watching others over the years so this one way to give back. As you know, it can be time consuming just writing these posts.

#182 7 years ago

More progress on the trees. Flipping sides to catch the other side up and then the rock color tones come next.image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#183 7 years ago

Worked on the transformer and power rectifier board today. The replacement board I chose was the pin-logic.com dual plug pcb with E-board. I hope to never work on it again but if I do it will be easy to uninstall.

Of course, I made a mistake and I am to lazy to fix it. I bought the dual board so I could use Molex connectors. Of course after I am done redoing the connectors I have the oh crap moment. I used the wrong connectors. Oh well. I can always change it later if needed.
BeforeBefore
AfterAfter
Old and newOld and new
OldOld
NewNew

#184 7 years ago

Terry has been working on the other side today. Here is an update on both sides.

#185 7 years ago

I got my comet order in today and installed them under the playfield. I followed NicoVolta stealth program. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stealth-led-a-recommended-recipe-for-ems

#186 7 years ago

More trees.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what is this program you speak of?

Added link above.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:Can't wait to see it lit up...so we can admire the stealthiness

This machine and stealth don't exactly go together.

#192 7 years ago

A little more progress today. Sanded and primed the wood rails and apron. Started assembly of top side. Can't do much as I am waiting for the star posts from pbresource.

#194 7 years ago

Star not finned posts?

Whoops! They will be finned.

#195 7 years ago

#196 7 years ago

Helping some friends today setup for a pinball tournament at their new house. Parts arrived this week and so they are sitting begging to be installed. I might get to it tonight but for sure tomorrow. Terry has been working on a few jobs so no new progress on the cabinet.

#197 7 years ago

Worked on the coin door this week. I am waiting on the hinges from the plater to finish it up. Installed new sockets. Polished stainless and chromed steel parts.

#198 7 years ago

Received some more parts for the cabinet.

#199 7 years ago

I also finished the light board wiring for the backglass.

#201 7 years ago

Playfield is complete and just needs the wood rails. Those will be painted this weekend.

#204 7 years ago

Terry started up again on the waterfall.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Tim, is there any truth to the rumor that you're going to put a PinSound in this game just to run this?
» YouTube video

I didn't know about the crickets. Those things are annoying. Thankfully I know a voice actress that does a respectable cricket impersonation.

1 week later
#227 7 years ago

The PCL primer worked well. Very easy to apply and sanded really well. Zero delmanination. No matter how hard you try to make the first coat the last coat, it won't happen. The first coat exposes the low and high spots. Plan on multiple coats and buy a gallon.

The spray gun is a Sata.

For paint, I prefer the auto air product line from Creatix.

#229 7 years ago

Your not kidding. Terry took a job in LA and has been commuting back and forth for three weeks. When he gets home he hates his profession and swears LA traffic will be the death of him. Needless to say, he hasn't touched frontier.

Unfortunately, the project is at a standstill as I really can't do anymore until I get the cabinet back. I haven't checked with him today but last night was suppose to complete the LA project. If so, frontier begins again tomorrow assuming he is up for it.

This next week I am trying a new way of making plastics and hopefully will have some feedback. Whether it turns out to be a success or failure I will post the results here. Always fun to try new things on these projects.

1 week later
#232 7 years ago

Good news Frontier fans. Official word from Terry is he currently working on the art. It was a long hiatus but it will be worth the wait. I will be taking some pics throughout the day today and of course posting them here.

Also, I will be posting some pics today of my attempts at making plastics.

#234 7 years ago

So five different experiments with making plastics.

Here is the original:

1. Water slide decals. Printed both clear and white decals. Very difficult to work with and very time consuming. I would say impossible to align the images perfectly and not damage the decals.

2. Photo paper. Easy to print and stick. Looks great in natural light but color saturation is poor when back lit.

3. Photo paper designed for back lighting with an adhesive laminate that is optically clear. Saturation is still a problem but better than regular photon paper.

4. Clear water slide decal with photo paper backing. Not easy to align and will be very difficult to adhere the photo paper to the decal reliably. (Sorry, had to use a different plastic).

5. Clear water slide decal with a non printed decal backing. Awful. Completely washed out.

So my conclusion is that non of the above work for my taste. I have two more experiments to run and will report back.

#235 7 years ago

On a more positive report the cabinet is coming along.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Try the waterslide decal but airbrushing the white.

Interesting idea. I think it would be worth a shot.

#240 7 years ago

First time it has been unmasked. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Holy cow that is beyond amazing!! Quite an upgrade from the stock cab - ha!

Thanks for the compliments. It was exciting to see it all together.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

wow, what amazing work, will be watching your progress.
and glad you liked the shrouds....

Thanks for the helpful emails back and forth. Getting closer to installing them.

#252 7 years ago

Another time lapse.

#253 7 years ago

First reveal of the 2nd side.

#254 7 years ago

And the front begins...

#256 7 years ago

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Frontier's original cabinet has to rank as one of the worst in pinball history, and I mean worst of all time going back
to the 1950's, of all pinball machines, its just that bad.
It's especially god awful on the sides especially.., this work by this artist is better than any before him...
bar none, on any pinball machine. !! Amazing, and thank you for sharing this with us..
I am so jealous, since I own this machine..!!

Agreed! I will pass your thoughts on to Terry. He really has made this a labor of love.

#262 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...sentiment, but this airbrushed work is simply breathtaking. Please pass more congratulatory remarks of awe and wonder onto the artist...from a fellow artist.

Will do!

#263 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I hope I get to play this at some point.

The game will be at Arcade Expo in January (assuming it is complete by then). The show is worth the travel as John's collection is amazing.

#266 7 years ago

Getting closer.

#267 7 years ago

The front is complete. Tomorrow is final touchup day on lower cabinet and Wednesday I will clear coat it. Hopefully another week and the back box will be done and ready to clear.

#270 7 years ago

Happy 4th to everyone.

#273 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow. Terry's really going all out. Love the small details with the crickets, especially since they are a healthy part of the sound package. Great nod to the gameplay.

Much agreed! Fantastic addition

Thanks! Seemed like it needed it.

Prepped the side rails for tomorrow's clear. It is a little breezy so hopefully tomorrow is a little calmer. Wish I had a spray booth on days like today.

#274 7 years ago

Terry did a lot of touchups today to the cabinet artwork and prepared it for clearing.

Things went relatively well with Frontier. As you can see in the photos there is quite a bit of orange peel. The pics were taken immediately after the first coat. The second coat looked better. As is always the case, I will be doing the dreaded sanding and buffing.

While we were at it we attempted to clear a Hoops playfield for Jay. We had a contaminated rag that created fish eyes. Thankfully we caught it early and only had sprayed 1/3. So, we had to sand off the clear and touchup a spot that we sanded through. Every project seems to have its setbacks.

Here is a couple pics of frontier.

#275 7 years ago

Here is the cured view.
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#282 7 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments. I will pass them on to Terry as usual.

For me, I stood and stared at the cabinet this morning in amazement. My wife said "It looks like a decal. It looks fake." I am so thankful for Terry's artistry as it brings joy to my soul.

The best part is there is more to come!

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...still trying to figure out whether or not this is a compliment.

Bless her heart. She means well.

Quoted from dothedoo:

Just for that it goes in the living room.

Seems fair. She has said no games outside of the game room but this one has a shot.

1 week later
#289 7 years ago

I have been busy sanding and polishing this week and today got it to an acceptable level. I say acceptable because it seems like there is never an obvious stopping point. The more intimate you get with a project the more little things standout. The question is do I try and fix it and risk making it worse.

I hand wet sanded by block with 1000. After 90% or more of the orange peel was gone I switched to 1500 and blocked it again. For touchups, I use a folded piece of 1500 with the fingers.

For polishing I use the 3M A compound and a wool pad. Once the gloss has returned I finish it off with 3M B and a foam pad.

#295 7 years ago

My last post was confusing so here is a couple photos. The first one shows a small chip. This usually occurs because a small dust particle got trapped and then gets knocked off in the sanding process or I just went to far.

BTW the picture shows the clear is pretty good by the reflection. So, the question remains do a small touchup to said areas only or do a repair and then clear the whole thing again? There are maybe 4 spots like this.

This next pic shows a masking problem in the art. The green line between the rock and trees should not be there. Do I have Terry touchup this area and then clear again or just leave it? The leg will cover up almost 50% of the area and the chrome legs will make it difficult for the eye to see it. This spot is the only one like it but if I have him do that area I would probably touchup a couple others. Unfortunately sometimes the situation is worse following the repair attempt. Then of course I have to clear the whole thing.

It is these minor issues that come up and then cause me to pause and consider if it is worth the time and energy to fix it. My answer is often I rather be playing it. I have to say I am glad this is a personal project and I don't do them for others. Credit to all the pros out there doing these projects for customers. Wow. The stress has got to suck.

I will probably start reassembling the cabinet after doing some quick fixes to the blue and leave the artwork as is. The imperfections in the art will be my proof it is not a decal.

#297 7 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

Imperfections are fine. It looks smokin' hot!

Thanks! It will be perfectly imperfic!

#299 7 years ago

Started reassembly of the lower cabinet.
I had to trim the side rail nails and predrill the holes. Nothing like using the biggest bolt cutter I had.

Installed the leg protectors and new bolt holders. I didn't have any chrome leg bolts so I will have to order some.

A little more progress always feels good.

#300 7 years ago

I also installed the coin door and trim.

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow. It just keeps getting more and more pretty.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I have had a couple close calls with tools in my hand working on the cabinet. I keep thinking wow I almost dropped this tool or bumped the cabinet with that one. I did open the coin door all the way and noticed that the coin return button hits the cabinet. I need a door stop!

Quoted from Arcane:

Superb. Are you going to install a fan between the cabinet and the backbox, to improve air circulation?
Yves

I haven't considered this option. Can you tell me more?

#308 7 years ago

Back channel and grill installed. Ordered new bolts. Hopefully will get back the plunger housing and lock bar receiver tomorrow. They needed a little more attention or should I say shine.

#309 7 years ago

Here is a pic of the rails on the playfield.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from Cigaretteman:

Fantastic work! What finish are on the coin door? Is it polished or chrome?

I personally like the look of polished metal. Granted it is much more difficult to maintain then chrome. The general rule I follow is polish it if possible and powder coat or chrome when needed.

Side rails, coin door and trim are polished. Back grill and legs are chrome.

#315 7 years ago

Touch ups to the blue was finished today. A little clear applied and voila.

Heading to a specialty wood store today. Hoping to find a nice exotic to use inside the cabinet for the plumb bob, etc.

#319 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

This is like a museum piece.
Just have to say; I'm SOOO happy you are indulging all of us with such a thorough documentation of this process. Many thanks. I hope to one day see it in person.

PM me whenever your in SoCal. I just need a copy of your birth certificate and drivers license.

I am going to have me some crickets rocking the game room.

#320 7 years ago

The clear coat came out great. What did it look like prior to wet sanding and buffing? Did it have much orange peel?

I usually end up with quite a bit of orange peel. When we paint my buddies 72 nova we are building a booth in our friends warehouse. Hopefully that will become my new spot to shoot!!

I did a favor for a friend and sprayed his hoops. It came out with very little orange peel. Spraying flat sure helps. This pic is before color sanding and buffing.

After sanding and buffing. Not perfect but looks great in a pinball machine!

#321 7 years ago

Decided to put some fresh lumber inside the cab to give it that frontier feel. Decided not to clear or lacquer it. Really like the ruggedness of it.

#323 7 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:You should probably get some real snake skin and fur on there somewhere

Not a bad idea. Maybe a bear skin rug underneath it.

#327 7 years ago

I had a bad experience today putting in the chrome bolts from pinballdecals.com. Instead of having my plater chrome some bolts for me, I decided to try something new. The bolts arrived and looked good. I didn't care for the angular look of the heads but decided to install them anyway. The first couple turns I knew I was in trouble as the chrome was pretty thick on the threads.

I did the usual a couple turns in and back it back out. I added some oil to help lubricate and was thinking to myself the whole time why am I doing this. As luck would have it, the bolt seized on the plate and it wouldn't budge forward or back. The only thing to do at that point was to back it out with force and hope. SNAP! Broken bolt. Drilled out the bolt in the plate but ended up breaking the weld on the plate. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Like I said I have no idea if others have had a similar experience but I will go back to my metal plater and have him chrome the head and shaft and leave the threads raw.
I have 7 chrome bolts if anybody needs some. Use at your own risk.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:Agreed! I was reading Tbgolfen's updated and fearing something happened to the cabinet and/or artwork. *phew* Could have been a lot worse!

All is good with the art. Before I started hacking away I removed the bracket and stood clear of the cabinet. Even I have brief moments of sanity.

Terry will be working on the back box this coming weekend! If all goes well, I hope to clear coat Wednesday and sand and polish over the next weekend. Fingers crossed, Frontier will be up and playing before the end of summer. Still have to make some plastics and finish the apron.

The extra time will only cost me more money as I found some parts that I might as well chrome now that I have to send in the bolts.

#337 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

This machine is incredible what a fantastic job you are doing . Frontier has always been one of my favorites, the one pinball that held my interest as a kid growing up and what created my love for the game. Someday I have to play this game of yours, it looks incredible and I wish to see it and play it in person! Thanks for making this thread for us all to live through the restoration/recreation you have going here. If you ever decide to sale this game, which i doubt, I call Dibs first LOL

Thanks! You got dibs for 1 million dollars.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Shouldn't you be using wooden dowels for bolts for this game anyway. goes with the theme.

Do those wooden dowels you speak of come in chrome?

So the good news is I will have some pics to share of the backbox this weekend. Should be able to tighten up the finishing on the lower cabinet as well. Feels like I am getting closer. Of course, once I start sanding and buffing the finish will feel a million miles away again.

#340 7 years ago

A little update. Finished the plunger and housing.
Finished putting on new capacitors.

#341 7 years ago

But, I suppose the art would be a more interesting update.

#342 7 years ago

A little more detail.

#343 7 years ago

Cabinet is just about complete. Just need to run the speaker wires. Plugged in the power cord to confirm 120 volts and all is well.

#344 7 years ago

To bring the golden eagle to life a little more work on the eye.

#347 7 years ago

Just needs a little background to give context and then this side is done.

#348 7 years ago

#351 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

That eagle is awesome! This game is so cool.

Terry did another amazing job.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

My land. Just when I thought it was done...more incredible work from Terry. Maybe you can convince him to keep going. There are a couple more surfaces he could paint, such as the top of the backbox, the bottom of the cabinet...just some suggestions. I hate to think his work is almost finished. What would it take to convince him to do another game???
Sincerely,
Ryan

We have a least two more surfaces to go!

There is already talk about another game. Next time I need to start with a new cabinet. Now if I could just figure out where to get a new cabinet.

#355 7 years ago

The other side began today.

#356 7 years ago

Another update.

#357 7 years ago

More detail.

#359 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

My head and mind are spinning after reading all 8 pages of thread this past hour....WOW...OMG...Incredible...Amazing...Beautiful!!!
Placing a wanted add right now for a Frontier!!
I have one dumb question ...who's Terry and how much an hour?

Thanks! It has been a great ride. I will PM his email to you.

#360 7 years ago

#362 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Man this looks awesome....Come on Mega Millions

Hope you win!!

#364 7 years ago

Progress pics.

#365 7 years ago

Here are the finals for the backbox. A few touchups here and there to the blue and she is done.

#368 7 years ago

Here is a shot of the apron with paper inserted from behind. Terry will airbrush the entire piece and then photos will be taken of the areas for the cards. The photos will then be used in Photoshop as background for instruction and free play cards.

I will be auctioning off the small disposable cards after the project is complete.

#369 7 years ago

The hunt for NOS plastics has continued to turn up dry. It seems as though they don't exist or those that have them are unwilling to part with them. I ran several experiments earlier in the thread and was unhappy with the results.

The final solution is ultimately a compromise but a good one. My buddy has been working on the scans trying to get the plastics looking their best. Wow has he done an amazing job. To get the colors right we used a Pantone to cmyk swatch book. The goal was to compare the swatches under the yellowing of the plastics to approximate the original colors.

For the printing process a Roland 6 color inkjet prints directly to plastic and the laser cut to correct size. 2 passes through of full color, 1 additional pass of black, and 2 passes of backing white produces the best results.

The compromise is in the half tones or dithering. The color saturation with cmyk is what it is. They look perfect under lighting and fade a little under backlighting. Overall, it's the best I could do taking into consideration time, money, and know how.

Final tweaks are still being done but here was an early test sample. Final pics and game installation coming soon.

#371 7 years ago

Hopefully Plantetary finally makes these so all of us can get some nice screened plastics.

#373 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Nice work! Look great here, hope they look just as good with lamps under them

Not really possible with the methods I have tried. Backlighting exposes halftones and lack of color saturation. For the discriminating eye there will be no hiding they are not original. Same goes for the cabinet.

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All you need is some sucker to make the cards for you!

I accept your offer!! Where do I send the the box of macadamia nuts from Hawaii I've had sitting around?

#377 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Prior to cutting, frisket and paint the backside with white. Then cut. I bet that would help the saturation.

Not necessary. The printer does the color and the white backing coat for you.

https://www.rolanddga.com/products/printers/versauv-lef-series-flatbed-printer

You can't outperform the printer in laying down an even and perfectly cut white backing. It can also apply a clear coat!

For 25k, you think it could make the plastic as well.

I don't own it so no I won't be making Christmas gifts for everyone.

#379 7 years ago

A few more elements to add but here is the current apron.

#385 7 years ago

Nothing like a good meme to make the point.

#389 7 years ago

Stunning paint work. Nice idea for the apron instruction cards; I'll be copying that one

Seems like a good solution is n theory. We will see how well it works out.

Quoted from dothedoo:

The glow of the moon will look really cool on the apron.

Thanks. Looking forward to putting it all together.

#390 7 years ago

We cleared the backbox and apron today. Don't worry it settled much better than these pictures appear. As well as there are no blotches etc.

#395 7 years ago

Here is the updated apron. We did a sealer coat and did some more touchups. Final clear was done yesterday. More pics to come.

#396 7 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. I will finish sanding and buffing the backbox today. Some assembly will start as well. Could have a bootable game by the end of the weekend.

#398 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

This lottery is bs..can't believe I haven't won yet! That apron looks great can't wait to see the final pictures of the completed game....loooks awesome!

I feel the same way. I could use a million more than a frontier.

#400 7 years ago

Final clear on the apron and a proof of concept for the cards. I guess it will work.

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ohhhhh Really,.............. B & W? Say it isnt so!
Love the look!

B&W is an homage to twilight zone.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

is "The enemy of good is better." Sage advice and I wish I could credit the author.

One of the smarties on pinside! If it is good stick with it. If it is poor, you have to make it good.

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I just read this entire thread and i must say that i am speechless!! Unbelievably incredible !!!

Thanks! It has been quite the adventure. The project suffered a few delays along the way which pushed against my need for completion but the end of the tunnel is near.

#406 7 years ago

The backbox needs some blue touchups and clear as a few edges got nicked during sanding and buffing. If it wasn't for having to prep a new course for the semester, I would have had the time. Hopefully this weekend I can power through it and get some photos of a complete cabinet on here.

Plastics are being made this week! The correct plastic was ordered last week but the incorrect item was sent. New plastic arrived and art is finished so all system are a go.

Stay tuned.

#407 7 years ago

Did the final fitting of the backbox light board over the weekend. Used blue tape to hold the displays and went back and forth adjusting them until they were square in the backglass. Once I was satisfied, I lifted up a portion of the tape and put a screw in the exposed hole. This process kept the display from moving positions.
image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#408 7 years ago

Got the game put back together and now have to hunt down all the wiring issues.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Looking sweet! I'm in a bit of crunch time on Alien plastics right now, but I'll finish up those cards when I get out from under deadlines.

Let's be honest, the world needs alien way more than I need frontier cards!

1 week later
#418 7 years ago

What could be better than working on a pinball machine all holiday weekend? Well...until bad luck strikes like 43 volts running through your MPU board! So the knocker for frontier is in the cabinet but since I used a strikes and spares it is in the head. I decided to use a 2 Pin Molex connector to make disconnecting the harness much easier. I have been busy repinning all of the connectors to elimate some issues that I was having getting the game to function properly. During a mid test to see how my work was going the female Molex connector make contact with cap 36 on the MPU board and she went up in smoke! And here I thought I was being safe by having it shielded. It was a perfect shot. Probably 1 and a million that would happen 2x.

Good news is Dave at Alltek answers his phone on a holiday and will be sending me out a new one this week. I would say that is amazing customer service.

#419 7 years ago

On the brighter side..

If you have to do any repinning this is my new favorite tool!! It rachets enabling you to hold the connector in the tool while you grab other things. You can even set it down and pick it back up and the connector is ready to go. It makes perfect crimps every time. This tool is awesome and a major time and frustration saver!!

#420 7 years ago

The plastics are coming along beautifully! Here is a test print of colors. Colors look more like their samples with 1 pass of color. What was discovered though was 3 passes of color hold up better under back lighting but changes the appearance of the color. Browns almost look black and yellow turns almost orange.

A test print was made on acrylic before using polycarbonate. The choice between colors looking great under normal lighting conditions (game off) and back lighting (game on) was to go with colors looking correct under back lighting. So if they seem off in the pic they are!

Polycarbonate is the preferred stock for most posters on this forum because they are cutting with a scroll saw. However it doesn't hold up under laser cutting. It is fibrous and burns. Another lesson learned.

So we ordered some PET-G to use instead of acrylic (breaks to easy) and poly carbonate (it burns, it burns). Plastics should be complete by the end of the week. Might be perfect timing for when the game will be up and running.

#421 7 years ago

Finished installing the shrouds and backglass. I have a repair to do with the scratch on the left. Should be a no brainier. Which means it will probably turn into a nightmare. Anyways looking pretty good.

#422 7 years ago

I didn't like how the displays sat as much as I was hoping so I spent a little more time today further tweaking to get it just right. Might as well since I am dead in the water waiting for an MPU. LOL!

#423 7 years ago

Here is a pic of the prototype plastics and one original to compare. Slings are new. The wolf plastic order is new (1st pic) and then original (2nd pic). The colors will be adjusted one more time before final production.

#424 7 years ago

Here is a mockup of the game. I needed some inspiration so I played pretend! Anyone notice the cards are still missing?

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

WOW, what a rush! I bet you were freaked when the power struck!
The plastics are really looking nice too!

Yep! It put a damper on the morning for sure. A couple curse words and a pledge to never work on another machine again. Then I came to my senses and got back to working on it.

#429 7 years ago

So nice.....right flipper is a bit out of place

Touche!

1 week later
#435 7 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments! Hopefully I will get my new MPU in the mail today or tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it into the game room and putting some dimples into the playfield and a executing a couple slap saves! It wouldn't be a pinball machine otherwise.

On another note. In case you missed it, looks like PPS has decided to go ahead with plastic production. Here is the link to that thread and how to signup.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-interest-in-elektra-andor-frontier-plastic-sets/page/2

http://www.planetarypinball.com/product/frontier-plastic-set/

#438 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

are you able to assist them with what they need to get the Frontier plastics made? I assume you have all the scans and ability to confirm fit with the work you have already done?

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I do but I am sure they will be fine without me. I do have to say it is way more difficult to get it to "look right" then many might think. Looking forward to comparing them. If they do it properly, they should come out with an overall better product. However, I suspect there will be tradeoffs. Only time will tell us.

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Hey now don't dimple "my machine" too much...well Mega Millions willing tonight. Man that game looks terrific! Yes I am excited about the plastics being ran for all the other Frontiers out there as well.

For the price your paying, I will redo the clear and take the dimples out.

1 week later
#442 7 years ago

The new plastics arrived and looking awesome. Thanks!

I drilled out the holes and installed them. Pics below.

#443 7 years ago

Here are some playfield pics.

#447 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious if the center target is supposed to be white faced or red faced? Mine is red, but unsure of what was original.

Pretty sure it is suppose to be red.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Coming together nicely! Amazing work Tim.
A True museum piece.

Thanks!

The sound card and new harness were successfully completed. Those crickets are loud!

A few things are left to complete the project. I have to find the wiring issue that is dropping some of the display segments. The backglass has a few scratches that need to be fixed. Lastly, the interior of the cabinet took a few scratches from lifting the playfield.

1 month later
#456 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Whew. Really is one of the top restos ive seen and the #1 custom ever.

Thanks! Hoping to get it all finished here soon and then take some nice photos to post.

4 months later
#461 7 years ago

As with most things, deadlines help me finish the small details of a project. I have been enjoying playing it and using it in a couple tournaments here at the house. However, I am taking Frontier to Arcade Expo this weekend and so the event has pushed me to finish up some details.

The backglass needed a touchup to remove a noticeable scratch. The outcome did not make me happy but it didn't make it worse either. It just sucks fixing backglasses. Hopefully I will find a new old stock or just make a custom one. Here is the process.

IMG_2061 (resized).JPGIMG_2061 (resized).JPG
IMG_2063 (resized).JPGIMG_2063 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPGIMG_2067 (resized).JPG
IMG_2068 (resized).JPGIMG_2068 (resized).JPG

IMG_2066 (resized).JPGIMG_2066 (resized).JPG

#462 7 years ago

I also finished up the cards to match the apron.

IMG_2069 (resized).JPGIMG_2069 (resized).JPG

#463 7 years ago

Here are some beauty shots. Thanks Jay!

frontier_01 (resized).jpgfrontier_01 (resized).jpg
frontier_05 (resized).jpgfrontier_05 (resized).jpg
frontier_02 (resized).jpgfrontier_02 (resized).jpg

#464 7 years ago

frontier_08 (resized).jpgfrontier_08 (resized).jpg
frontier_09 (resized).jpgfrontier_09 (resized).jpg
frontier_10 (resized).jpgfrontier_10 (resized).jpg

#465 7 years ago

frontier_06 (resized).jpgfrontier_06 (resized).jpg
frontier_07 (resized).jpgfrontier_07 (resized).jpg

#469 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Will the game only be able to seen and played at the dinner?

Yes

Quoted from Cornelius:

It's stunning. Thank you so much for letting people play it!

You bet!

Quoted from Pbpins:

I wish I still had my NOS backglassess as I would have gladly sold you one! That game really deserves it; absolutely stunning work!

Wish you did too!

#475 7 years ago

Congrats, stunning machine. I'm looking forward to seeing your next project.

Thanks! The next project is mystic. I have done magic on and off throughout my life and of course it will go nicely with Harlem and Frontier.

Quoted from jawjaw:

That artwork is insane. Looks amazing!

Much appreciated!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tbgolfen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-frontier-restoration-and-custom-artwork?tu=Tbgolfen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.