frontier_01 (resized).jpg
IMG_2069 (resized).JPG
IMG_2061 (resized).JPG
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
IMG_2066 (resized).JPG
IMG_2063 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 7 years ago

Ohhhhh Really,.............. B & W? Say it isnt so!

Love the look!

#402 7 years ago

Again, simply amazing work. Just when you think it cannot possibly get better, it does. I assumed the coin door had been chromed like many others but better done because there was no waviness to it. Polished makes better sense. That is a LOT of work.

Regarding your thoughts a few pages back about going after defects VS doing more damage than good; In the last couple of years on Pinside I have run through hundreds of threads and probably thousands of comments. The ONE that has stuck with me is "The enemy of good is better." Sage advice and I wish I could credit the author.

Shawn

#403 7 years ago

I just read this entire thread and i must say that i am speechless!! Unbelievably incredible !!!

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Love the look!

B&W is an homage to twilight zone.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

is "The enemy of good is better." Sage advice and I wish I could credit the author.

One of the smarties on pinside! If it is good stick with it. If it is poor, you have to make it good.

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I just read this entire thread and i must say that i am speechless!! Unbelievably incredible !!!

Thanks! It has been quite the adventure. The project suffered a few delays along the way which pushed against my need for completion but the end of the tunnel is near.

#405 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Love the look!

Frontier-Card-1_(resized).jpgFrontier-Card-1_(resized).jpg

#406 7 years ago

The backbox needs some blue touchups and clear as a few edges got nicked during sanding and buffing. If it wasn't for having to prep a new course for the semester, I would have had the time. Hopefully this weekend I can power through it and get some photos of a complete cabinet on here.

Plastics are being made this week! The correct plastic was ordered last week but the incorrect item was sent. New plastic arrived and art is finished so all system are a go.

Stay tuned.

#407 7 years ago

Did the final fitting of the backbox light board over the weekend. Used blue tape to hold the displays and went back and forth adjusting them until they were square in the backglass. Once I was satisfied, I lifted up a portion of the tape and put a screw in the exposed hole. This process kept the display from moving positions.
image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#408 7 years ago

Got the game put back together and now have to hunt down all the wiring issues.

#409 7 years ago

Looking sweet! I'm in a bit of crunch time on Alien plastics right now, but I'll finish up those cards when I get out from under deadlines.

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Got the game put back together and now have to hunt down all the wiring issues.

Amazing progression. I hope that you have it working 100% soon.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Looking sweet! I'm in a bit of crunch time on Alien plastics right now, but I'll finish up those cards when I get out from under deadlines.

Let's be honest, the world needs alien way more than I need frontier cards!

#412 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

But this isn't just any Frontier

#413 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Actually it doesn't. Frontier is a better game.

#414 7 years ago

Hearing my daughter play Frontier in the background as I read this thread = priceless

#415 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Actually it doesn't. Frontier is a better game.

You haven't heard David Thiel's cricket sounds yet.

#416 7 years ago

Looking real tasty!

#417 7 years ago

Beautiful game!

#418 7 years ago

What could be better than working on a pinball machine all holiday weekend? Well...until bad luck strikes like 43 volts running through your MPU board! So the knocker for frontier is in the cabinet but since I used a strikes and spares it is in the head. I decided to use a 2 Pin Molex connector to make disconnecting the harness much easier. I have been busy repinning all of the connectors to elimate some issues that I was having getting the game to function properly. During a mid test to see how my work was going the female Molex connector make contact with cap 36 on the MPU board and she went up in smoke! And here I thought I was being safe by having it shielded. It was a perfect shot. Probably 1 and a million that would happen 2x.

Good news is Dave at Alltek answers his phone on a holiday and will be sending me out a new one this week. I would say that is amazing customer service.

#419 7 years ago

On the brighter side..

If you have to do any repinning this is my new favorite tool!! It rachets enabling you to hold the connector in the tool while you grab other things. You can even set it down and pick it back up and the connector is ready to go. It makes perfect crimps every time. This tool is awesome and a major time and frustration saver!!

#420 7 years ago

The plastics are coming along beautifully! Here is a test print of colors. Colors look more like their samples with 1 pass of color. What was discovered though was 3 passes of color hold up better under back lighting but changes the appearance of the color. Browns almost look black and yellow turns almost orange.

A test print was made on acrylic before using polycarbonate. The choice between colors looking great under normal lighting conditions (game off) and back lighting (game on) was to go with colors looking correct under back lighting. So if they seem off in the pic they are!

Polycarbonate is the preferred stock for most posters on this forum because they are cutting with a scroll saw. However it doesn't hold up under laser cutting. It is fibrous and burns. Another lesson learned.

So we ordered some PET-G to use instead of acrylic (breaks to easy) and poly carbonate (it burns, it burns). Plastics should be complete by the end of the week. Might be perfect timing for when the game will be up and running.

#421 7 years ago

Finished installing the shrouds and backglass. I have a repair to do with the scratch on the left. Should be a no brainier. Which means it will probably turn into a nightmare. Anyways looking pretty good.

#422 7 years ago

I didn't like how the displays sat as much as I was hoping so I spent a little more time today further tweaking to get it just right. Might as well since I am dead in the water waiting for an MPU. LOL!

#423 7 years ago

Here is a pic of the prototype plastics and one original to compare. Slings are new. The wolf plastic order is new (1st pic) and then original (2nd pic). The colors will be adjusted one more time before final production.

#424 7 years ago

Here is a mockup of the game. I needed some inspiration so I played pretend! Anyone notice the cards are still missing?

#425 7 years ago

WOW, what a rush! I bet you were freaked when the power struck!

The plastics are really looking nice too!

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

WOW, what a rush! I bet you were freaked when the power struck!
The plastics are really looking nice too!

Yep! It put a damper on the morning for sure. A couple curse words and a pledge to never work on another machine again. Then I came to my senses and got back to working on it.

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Anyone notice the cards are still missing?

Nope.

#428 7 years ago

So nice.....right flipper is a bit out of place

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

So nice.....right flipper is a bit out of place

Touche!

#430 7 years ago

The plastics look great.

#431 7 years ago

Awesomesause !!!!!!!

#433 7 years ago

This is crazy awesome! I wish mine looked like this.

#434 7 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

This is crazy awesome! I wish mine looked like this.

We all do, but I'm jealous of you for even having a Frontier

#435 7 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments! Hopefully I will get my new MPU in the mail today or tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it into the game room and putting some dimples into the playfield and a executing a couple slap saves! It wouldn't be a pinball machine otherwise.

On another note. In case you missed it, looks like PPS has decided to go ahead with plastic production. Here is the link to that thread and how to signup.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-interest-in-elektra-andor-frontier-plastic-sets/page/2

http://www.planetarypinball.com/product/frontier-plastic-set/

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Thanks for all the compliments! Hopefully I will get my new MPU in the mail today or tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it into the game room and putting some dimples into the playfield and a executing a couple slap saves! It wouldn't be a pinball machine otherwise.
On another note. In case you missed it, looks like PPS has decided to go ahead with plastic production. Here is the link to that thread and how to signup.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-interest-in-elektra-andor-frontier-plastic-sets/page/2

are you able to assist them with what they need to get the Frontier plastics made? I assume you have all the scans and ability to confirm fit with the work you have already done?

#437 7 years ago

I am not even a "fan" of this title (not that I have anything against it), but this machine is just absolutely incredible. It certainly opens the mind to the potential every game has hiding under the surface. Tbgolfen, thank you so much for documenting and sharing with us!

#438 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

are you able to assist them with what they need to get the Frontier plastics made? I assume you have all the scans and ability to confirm fit with the work you have already done?

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I do but I am sure they will be fine without me. I do have to say it is way more difficult to get it to "look right" then many might think. Looking forward to comparing them. If they do it properly, they should come out with an overall better product. However, I suspect there will be tradeoffs. Only time will tell us.

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Hey now don't dimple "my machine" too much...well Mega Millions willing tonight. Man that game looks terrific! Yes I am excited about the plastics being ran for all the other Frontiers out there as well.

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Hey now don't dimple "my machine" too much...well Mega Millions willing tonight. Man that game looks terrific! Yes I am excited about the plastics being ran for all the other Frontiers out there as well.

For the price your paying, I will redo the clear and take the dimples out.

#441 7 years ago

Followed the thread from the start.Just want to put in my 2 cents and congratulate yourself on a fantastic job.

1 week later
#442 7 years ago

The new plastics arrived and looking awesome. Thanks!

I drilled out the holes and installed them. Pics below.

#443 7 years ago

Here are some playfield pics.

#444 7 years ago

So nice...thanks for taking us through the journey. End result is truly stunning.

#445 7 years ago

Coming together nicely! Amazing work Tim.
A True museum piece.

#446 7 years ago

curious if the center target is supposed to be white faced or red faced? Mine is red, but unsure of what was original.

#447 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious if the center target is supposed to be white faced or red faced? Mine is red, but unsure of what was original.

Pretty sure it is suppose to be red.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Coming together nicely! Amazing work Tim.
A True museum piece.

Thanks!

The sound card and new harness were successfully completed. Those crickets are loud!

A few things are left to complete the project. I have to find the wiring issue that is dropping some of the display segments. The backglass has a few scratches that need to be fixed. Lastly, the interior of the cabinet took a few scratches from lifting the playfield.

#448 7 years ago

Looks great! Original center target is red.

1 month later
#449 7 years ago

A little surprised no one has mentioned Tbgolfen 's recent interview on the "Launch the Ball" podcast. It was great to hear you chat about your work, Tim. Here's the interview for anyone who missed it:

http://www.launchtheball.com/008-tim-moyers-near-flawless-custom-restoration-of-pinball-machines/

#450 7 years ago

Had no idea this podcast existed...will have a listen...thanks for sharing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-frontier-restoration-and-custom-artwork/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.