frontier_01 (resized).jpg
IMG_2069 (resized).JPG
IMG_2061 (resized).JPG
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG
IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
IMG_2066 (resized).JPG
IMG_2063 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg

There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 7 years ago

Thanks for documenting all this. What an incredible labor of love.

#252 7 years ago

Another time lapse.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#253 7 years ago

First reveal of the 2nd side.

#254 7 years ago

And the front begins...

#256 7 years ago

#257 7 years ago

Frontier's original cabinet has to rank as one of the worst in pinball history, and I mean worst of all time going back
to the 1950's, of all pinball machines, its just that bad.
It's especially god awful on the sides especially.., this work by this artist is better than any before him...
bar none, on any pinball machine. !! Amazing, and thank you for sharing this with us..
I am so jealous, since I own this machine..!!

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Frontier's original cabinet has to rank as one of the worst in pinball history, and I mean worst of all time going back
to the 1950's, of all pinball machines, its just that bad.
It's especially god awful on the sides especially.., this work by this artist is better than any before him...
bar none, on any pinball machine. !! Amazing, and thank you for sharing this with us..
I am so jealous, since I own this machine..!!

Agreed! I will pass your thoughts on to Terry. He really has made this a labor of love.

#260 7 years ago

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually like the original art... But of course, it does not compare to this at all

#261 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I actually like the original art... But of course, it does not compare to this at all

I agree. I don't understand the...

Quoted from limelime20:

...worst of all time...

...sentiment, but this airbrushed work is simply breathtaking. Please pass more congratulatory remarks of awe and wonder onto the artist...from a fellow artist.

Sincerely,
Ryan

#262 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...sentiment, but this airbrushed work is simply breathtaking. Please pass more congratulatory remarks of awe and wonder onto the artist...from a fellow artist.

Will do!

#263 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I hope I get to play this at some point.

The game will be at Arcade Expo in January (assuming it is complete by then). The show is worth the travel as John's collection is amazing.

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

The game will be at Arcade Expo in January (assuming it is complete by then). The show is worth the travel as John's collection is amazing.

Totally awesome! Can't wait to possibly see it on display

#265 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually like the original art... But of course, it does not compare to this at all

I'm sure the original art was nice.
But man, this is beyond belief good.
I'm sure most of us would be proud to have this in our house.

#266 7 years ago

Getting closer.

#267 7 years ago

The front is complete. Tomorrow is final touchup day on lower cabinet and Wednesday I will clear coat it. Hopefully another week and the back box will be done and ready to clear.

#268 7 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. Not sure if I like the border around the letters/how they're integrated but it still looks amazing. Now just to find a spot for it that's not in a row of machines!

#269 7 years ago

Holy Moly! That is awesome!!!

#270 7 years ago

Happy 4th to everyone.

#271 7 years ago

Wow. Terry's really going all out. Love the small details with the crickets, especially since they are a healthy part of the sound package. Great nod to the gameplay.

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Love the small details with the crickets, especially since they are a healthy part of the sound package. Great nod to the gameplay.

Much agreed! Fantastic addition

#273 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow. Terry's really going all out. Love the small details with the crickets, especially since they are a healthy part of the sound package. Great nod to the gameplay.

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Much agreed! Fantastic addition

Thanks! Seemed like it needed it.

Prepped the side rails for tomorrow's clear. It is a little breezy so hopefully tomorrow is a little calmer. Wish I had a spray booth on days like today.

#274 7 years ago

Terry did a lot of touchups today to the cabinet artwork and prepared it for clearing.

Things went relatively well with Frontier. As you can see in the photos there is quite a bit of orange peel. The pics were taken immediately after the first coat. The second coat looked better. As is always the case, I will be doing the dreaded sanding and buffing.

While we were at it we attempted to clear a Hoops playfield for Jay. We had a contaminated rag that created fish eyes. Thankfully we caught it early and only had sprayed 1/3. So, we had to sand off the clear and touchup a spot that we sanded through. Every project seems to have its setbacks.

Here is a couple pics of frontier.

#275 7 years ago

Here is the cured view.
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#276 7 years ago

Amazing!

#277 7 years ago

That clearcoat really makes the colors vibrant, nice work.
Has Stern contacted Terry about desiging cab art? If not, they should!

#278 7 years ago

That's really something. Love how Frontier lettering really stands out from all the art.

#279 7 years ago

Jaw_Drop_(resized).jpgJaw_Drop_(resized).jpg

#280 7 years ago

Holy crap!

#281 7 years ago

Just...glorious.

#282 7 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments. I will pass them on to Terry as usual.

For me, I stood and stared at the cabinet this morning in amazement. My wife said "It looks like a decal. It looks fake." I am so thankful for Terry's artistry as it brings joy to my soul.

The best part is there is more to come!

#283 7 years ago

WOW that is just WOW wish my Frontier looked like that it is just so beautiful! I want a Terry of my own

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

My wife said "It looks like a decal. It looks fake."

Just for that it goes in the living room.

#285 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

"It looks like a decal. It looks fake."

...still trying to figure out whether or not this is a compliment.

#286 7 years ago

I've held an airbrush plenty pretending to know how to use it 'well'

Very very very nice - serious talent there !!

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...still trying to figure out whether or not this is a compliment.

Bless her heart. She means well.

Quoted from dothedoo:

Just for that it goes in the living room.

Seems fair. She has said no games outside of the game room but this one has a shot.

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Seems fair. She has said no games outside of the game room but this one has a shot.

3040330-0815366327-cg_Tp_(resized).jpg3040330-0815366327-cg_Tp_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#289 7 years ago

I have been busy sanding and polishing this week and today got it to an acceptable level. I say acceptable because it seems like there is never an obvious stopping point. The more intimate you get with a project the more little things standout. The question is do I try and fix it and risk making it worse.

I hand wet sanded by block with 1000. After 90% or more of the orange peel was gone I switched to 1500 and blocked it again. For touchups, I use a folded piece of 1500 with the fingers.

For polishing I use the 3M A compound and a wool pad. Once the gloss has returned I finish it off with 3M B and a foam pad.

#290 7 years ago

looks incredible

#291 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

The question is do I try and fix it and risk making it worse.

Am I the only one who doesn't see it? What exactly are you trying to fix?

#292 7 years ago

Are you wanting a glass finish on the clear?

Are you talking about the finish not being crystal clear?

If so... In my experience you may need to do a cutting compound with a wool pad, and then work in a glazing or swirl remover compound with a medium pad, then a final polish compound with a fine pad...

The cab looks beautiful, I hope you get it to a place you are completely satisfied.

#293 7 years ago

Paint uneven? I would think you wouldn't want to sand down the airbrushed art too much. Looks real good in the pics.

#294 7 years ago

It would be a travesty to put that game between two other pins.

#295 7 years ago

My last post was confusing so here is a couple photos. The first one shows a small chip. This usually occurs because a small dust particle got trapped and then gets knocked off in the sanding process or I just went to far.

BTW the picture shows the clear is pretty good by the reflection. So, the question remains do a small touchup to said areas only or do a repair and then clear the whole thing again? There are maybe 4 spots like this.

This next pic shows a masking problem in the art. The green line between the rock and trees should not be there. Do I have Terry touchup this area and then clear again or just leave it? The leg will cover up almost 50% of the area and the chrome legs will make it difficult for the eye to see it. This spot is the only one like it but if I have him do that area I would probably touchup a couple others. Unfortunately sometimes the situation is worse following the repair attempt. Then of course I have to clear the whole thing.

It is these minor issues that come up and then cause me to pause and consider if it is worth the time and energy to fix it. My answer is often I rather be playing it. I have to say I am glad this is a personal project and I don't do them for others. Credit to all the pros out there doing these projects for customers. Wow. The stress has got to suck.

I will probably start reassembling the cabinet after doing some quick fixes to the blue and leave the artwork as is. The imperfections in the art will be my proof it is not a decal.

#296 7 years ago

Imperfections are fine. It looks smokin' hot!

#297 7 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

Imperfections are fine. It looks smokin' hot!

Thanks! It will be perfectly imperfic!

#298 7 years ago

The blue chip, I'd touch up.

The green masking issue may be covered up by the leg...

Please take some high quality photos of the art before you re assemble, you will thank your self later

... Also
Pinball life has the metal leg protectors, I'm sure you already know about them, but using them will protect the art from the legs

#299 7 years ago

Started reassembly of the lower cabinet.
I had to trim the side rail nails and predrill the holes. Nothing like using the biggest bolt cutter I had.

Installed the leg protectors and new bolt holders. I didn't have any chrome leg bolts so I will have to order some.

A little more progress always feels good.

#300 7 years ago

I also installed the coin door and trim.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-frontier-restoration-and-custom-artwork/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.