(Topic ID: 250359)

Bally Freedom stuck on 4-Player (Its not the coin unit)

By PinPilot

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by xsvtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190830_211142 (resized).jpg
0Freedom-Work-02 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinPilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Howdy from Texas to all Pinsiders!

Spent the better part of the day working on Bally Freedom, a four player game. Replaced the PF with a better one, transferred all the PF parts, but one big issue - it only plays a 4-player game!

The coin unit works perfectly - its on one player as it should be.

I see in the schematic that the Player Reset relay must pull-in when the ball goes in the outhole, otherwise the Player Unit will advance. The Player reset relay does pull in after player four, as it should, but that's the ONLY time it pulls in.

I see that part of the Player Reset relay circuit is the end-of-stroke switch on the ball count unit. If the ball count unit doesn't advance, the Player Reset relay can't work.

I've poured over the schematic and I'm about at my wits end. If anyone has an idea, please share.

I will gladly post pics of any area of the schematic that could be helpful in solving this strange issue.

Thanks to all who make this forum great!

#3 4 years ago

Thanks Howard, I will do as you suggest and report back...

#4 4 years ago

I used jumpers to bypass every point on the circuit highlighted with no change in behavior. I did discover though that 2, 3, and obviously 4 player games all work correctly - its only the one player game that defaults to 4 player. You would think bypassing 91-2 from the Coin Unit Disc to SCM 3B would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I've spent a good five hours on this so far - I feel I'm close, but so far, no cigar.

#8 4 years ago

SOLVED! Oh the joys of EM repair!

On the coin unit, one of the swiper arms was not making good contact when in position for a one player game. Photo attached. The screwdriver is pointing to the arm that wasn't making contact. It made good contact while set for 2, 3, or 4 player games. Only whilst set for 1 player did it lose contact. It was right on the edge of the contact point. A slight adjustment fixed it straight away. The lack of contact forced the game into four player mode when set for one player.

I wish I could change the title of the thread, because IT WAS THE COIN UNIT, just not the normal issue we see with coin units.

Rolf, you were SO CLOSE with your idea. It wasn't a broken wire, it was an open circuit due to bad swiper arm contact. You are a true genius, my friend!

Thanks to all the Pinsiders who offered assistance - you're all a credit to the pinball world! (At least the EM pinball world! LOL). Seriously, THANK YOU!
20190830_211142 (resized).jpg20190830_211142 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinPilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-freedom-stuck-on-4-player-its-not-the-coin-unit?tu=PinPilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.