(Topic ID: 251867)

Bally Freedom ball advance woes ... help!

By rotordave

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by rotordave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

Hi EM team!

Some funkyness with the Freedom/Led Zeppelin.

Everything works fine on a 1 player game. Sweet as!

But on a 4 player game, as it changes from player 3 to player 4, the ball count will jump a ball.

Then when it goes from P4 back to P1, it will go to the next ball as it should do.

So my 4 player games are very short.

Ball count unit looks ok, player unit looks ok ... I am guessing it is whatever controls them that is making the jump.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

rd

#2 5 months ago

Bump for the morning crowd.

#3 5 months ago

Any difference in this glitch whether in 3 ball play or 5 ball play?

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Any difference in this glitch whether in 3 ball play or 5 ball play?

It’s on 5 ball at present ... I’ll try 3 ball soon and report back.

rd

#5 5 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It’s on 5 ball at present ... I’ll try 3 ball soon and report back

Yep, still does the same thing.

#6 5 months ago

What I can’t figure out - what makes the ball count advance at the end of ball 4?

Whatever that is, it’s doing it too early.

?

#7 5 months ago

Wonder if you adjust the spring tension to ball count unit. Add or subtract one wind?

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Wonder if you adjust the spring tension to ball count unit. Add or subtract one wind?

I ended up stripping and cleaning the ball count unit, the player up unit, the coin unit .. all look good to me ... and it’s still doing it.

I can watch the sequence .. as the game switches from P3 to P4, the ball advance coil is fired, and the ball count increases. Then it does the same (as it should) between P4 and P1.

After 5 hours - I gave up for the day. Lol.

rd

#9 5 months ago

One thing I did notice - the player unit in the head box looks to have had every connection resoldered at some stage. Whether it was swapped out or just reflowed, I’m not sure. Maybe a possibility some of the wires are going to the wrong place?

rd

#10 5 months ago

Any ideas out there?

rd

#11 5 months ago

You'll need to look at the circuit that sends power to the ball count step up solenoid... Since the machine only has problems during a 4 player game, I'd take a look at the coin unit and the player up unit again. Make sure both of these step up units rotate properly and "click" into each position smoothly when you manually operate them. Check if the coin unit is fully moving into the 4th 4 player position...

If you think the player up unit wires were attached incorrectly, you can use the schematic to see what color wires run between the player up unit and the coin unit.

#12 5 months ago

I am thinking the Player up unit is probable culprit.
Probably some switch stack on 3rd player or 4th player that is not gapped properly,
some contacts set too close, so when activated held closed too long.

#13 5 months ago

Have a look here, this post in this thread describes how that circuit works on the Monte Carlo, and I believe Freedom operates in the same way.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-machine-complete-circuit-description-2-bally-monte-carlo#post-5205190

The very last picture in that post shows the condition when you are set for 4 player. The coin unit should be in the #4 position and stay there the entire game. As the player up disc steps through 1, 2, and 3 you can see that the ball count step up unit is disconnected from the score motor switch 3B that will trip that ball count step up when the score motor turns. Then, when it gets to 4, the circuit is complete and the ball count is stepped up.

So somehow you are getting player 3 connected to that part in green. Is the player up disc slightly out of alignment? One of the fingers just a bit off and touching 2 contacts at once maybe?

#14 5 months ago

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Is the player up disc slightly out of alignment? One of the fingers just a bit off and touching 2 contacts at once maybe?

That was my thoughts too ... but everything seems to line up sweetly.

The pin has gone out to its first competition now .. it’ll be in use this weekend. We will play single player games in the comp, then next week I can get it back home and get back into it.

rd

#15 5 months ago

That thread is very well put together ... surprising I haven’t seen it before!

Thanks for doing it.

rd

#16 5 months ago

Thanks! Also, looks like the same thing would happen if the coin unit is contacting both the 3 and 4 positions, although it sounds like you checked that. I don't have much beyond that as this seems to cover the possibilities, other than some weird wiring situation.

I don't think being on 3 vs 5 ball would effect this. But how about the 2 player game and the 3 player game. Did you check to see that those two act as they should?

#17 5 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I don't think being on 3 vs 5 ball would effect this. But how about the 2 player game and the 3 player game. Did you check to see that those two act as they should?

No, as I was trying to get it going for 4 player games in the tournament. We will be playing 1 player games now - which isn’t unusual on EM and SS games anyway, so all good.

I definitely have some things to try when it gets back home! Excellent!

I’ll sort this f**king thing out if it kills me! Lol

rd

1 week later
#18 4 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

But how about the 2 player game and the 3 player game. Did you check to see that those two act as they should?

Last weekend I verified that it does in fact do the same error on any multiplayer game.

So 2 player, 3 player or 4 player, it will always add a ball to the ball count at the beginning of the last player up. (And another as it goes back to P1)

Haven’t had a chance to get into any repairs as yet.

rd

2 months later
#19 82 days ago

Just to bookend this thread .. as it’s great when people do that, it really helps out others down the track ...

After dozens of hours of racking my brains, I found the problem.

One of the switches in switch stack 3 had a broken and worn plastic end on it.

When I removed the stack, I could see that the end was worn on an angle, and as soon as I touched it, it fell off! Lol. So it was sort of flopping around and not doing it’s job.

I sourced another switch (thanks Phil) - went through the whole stack, adjusted everything up - success! Whew.

Thanks to all for their help.

rd

#20 82 days ago

GREAT! Thanks for updating. Score motor switch 3B was the culprit, most likely.

#21 82 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

GREAT! Thanks for updating. Score motor switch 3B was the culprit, most likely.

Yes, it was 3b.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 219.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 159.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 36.99
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 9.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10,999.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside